Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small modded Minecraft server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Small modded Minecraft server

Hello!

I'm trying to get back into Minecraft and am in need of hosting for it. It's going to be a modded server, so not entirely lightweight, but it's only intended for two people. I've been using a VPS for this in the past, but I was constantly worrying about making sure I didn't abuse the plan and the constant fear of getting booted off is becoming a nuisance. Minecraft mods can often times go awry and cause high resource consumption, and while I intend to correct that as soon as I notice it, I still believe a dedicated Minecraft host might be more reasonable and understanding if it happens.

I need a location in Europe and around 2GB of RAM I think. If someone can offer me a VPS with the reassurance that I can safely host the server on it without fear of disrupting the service for other users or being kicked out in case something goes wrong, that's fine with me. I assume that would mean the resources I am paying for would have to be dedicated, but I doubt I'll get that in my price range. If it's one of those Minecraft hosts with a dedicated control panel, that's okay with me as well, I don't need root access.

Anyway... The VPS I've been using for this so far is under $7 monthly and comes with 4GB of RAM. Is it unreasonable of me to expect anything within this price range? I'm not a very demanding customer, I don't foresee needing any extensive support with the server, I just want to play the game with my friend and not feel like I'm the devil because I'm hosting it on shared resources.

Comments

• Check out Vultr, I host a Minecraft server there and often have some mods spike to 100% CPU for a few hours, I've heard nothing about it from them. I asked some of their staff via IRC whether they would be corned about 100% CPU usage and was told that it's fine as long as it's not mining etc.

They also have pretty fast CPU cores @ 3Ghz+.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • JonchunJonchun Member
    edited December 2014

Check out RamNode's NL location. Their Premium SSD KVM node should do it for you. They allow up to 1.0 cpu consumption as well. (auto suspend if spikes over 20)

Edit: Haven't checked price, but it should be fairly low. And note that mc servers are only allowed on their premium plans, not their standard.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • ChronicChronic Member
    edited December 2014

kcaj said: Check out Vultr

I've been looking into Vultr, but their 2GB plan is $15 and not within my expected price range. I like the idea of not having to worry about the CPU usage though. Would it be possible to backup the VPS instance, destroy it and then re-create it the next time we play, keeping the costs down this way?

Jonchun said: Check out RamNode's NL location. Their Premium SSD KVM node should do it for you.

I've been looking for an excuse to try RamNode's services for a while now, but unfortunately their OpenVZ SSD and KVM SSD Premium plans are $20 and $28 respectively, for 2GB of RAM. That's three times what I've been paying so far. I saw some 42% coupons floating around (all expired though), but even with those, I'd be paying almost twice as much as I have so far.

Another host I've been considering is DigitalOcean. I have a lot of credit with them and have considered the same idea of simply destroying the instance when the server is not in use. I'm trying to get by on a budget here. I know most of these offers are generally very affordable, but I'm a student without a regular income so I'm forced to resort to budgeting. The other alternative is hosting on my own computer, which would certainly be powerful enough if it wasn't for the slow network connection.

• Chronic said: I've been looking into Vultr, but their 2GB plan is $15 and not within my expected price range. I like the idea of not having to worry about the CPU usage though. Would it be possible to backup the VPS instance, destroy it and then re-create it the next time we play, keeping the costs down this way?

Using snapshots yes, the IP will change between deployments though. However you could have players connect using a hostname with a low TTL.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • Our build your own plans should work well for what you need. The cheapest 2GB plan that we offer comes to £5.55 per month. Take a look on our website https://www.superior-networks.com/vps.php for any further information you may need.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • SNetworks1 said: Our build your own plans should work well for what you need

I noticed you offer Minecraft hosting specifically as well, and it seems quite affordable in fact. Would you mind telling me what kind of hardware that runs on? I didn't find anything on your website.

• +1 for DigitalOcean, or HostHatch if you want to save some money

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • @Chronic said:

It runs on the same system as our VPS hosting ( Either Intel Xeon E3 1225v2's or Intel Xeon E5606's depending on the node that you are running on).

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • Go for RunAbove's steadfast instance with fully dedicated resources.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • VMware vCloud Air OnDemand :)?
    (It is/was a beta, you get 10,000 or 1,000 USD to use on VDC's and VMs).

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • You can optimize your Minecraft server to run a bit lighter on resources and try to use a DelimiterVPS Atom dedicated ($10/month or $60/year): http://www.delimitervps.com/landingpage/blades/?p=A2302100&l=Atlanta

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • @EkaatyLinux said:
    You can optimize your Minecraft server to run a bit lighter on resources and try to use a DelimiterVPS Atom dedicated ($10/month or $60/year): http://www.delimitervps.com/landingpage/blades/?p=A2302100&l=Atlanta

Did you even read @Chronic's post? The fact that he needs a server in Europe is even put in bold.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • Do you really need a VPS? Or will a Minecrqft host also do it for you

• cassa said: Do you really need a VPS? Or will a Minecrqft host also do it for you

I don't need a VPS, no. A regular Minecraft host will do.

• @Chronic said:
    Hello!

Runabove or Vultr or something?

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • @Grizzly said:
    Worth trying out SPAM cheapest and most reliable provider I've found.

Hey, nice first comment. Please do not spam, you have been flagged.

• @Grizzly said:

Please stop the spam. Honestly I don't care, these are the rules.