Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for some people to test new Xen VPS offerings!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for some people to test new Xen VPS offerings!

JonchunJonchun Member
edited December 2014 in General

Hello. I will be finishing up setup and touches on SN's new Xen offerings tonight and I'm looking for volunteers to test the service before I launch. This offer is open to all ACTIVE LET members, and will be chosen at my discretion (I will take a quick look through post history and check if you contribute in what seems to be a meaningful way to the community). If you are a staff/retired staff member, you automatically qualify for this offer.

What I need tested:
I essentially need "customers" to see if anything random breaks during the xen provisioning and ordering stage. I also want to make sure my IP blocks work fine and all my nodes are working properly. The Xen nodes will be hosted with Incero, so hardware and network quality will definitely be top notch. I am launching these plans within the next 2 days or so and this is basically an "early access" opportunity! Any and all forms of abuse will not be tolerated. I realize that I need to update the policies on my website and will be working on that to comply with Incero's ToS/AUP as our VPS offerings will be on their infrastructure.

What you get:
- You will get 1 month free of Xen VPS hosting (calculated after the "early access testing" phase).
- Possibly unstable VPS while I make last minute configurations, tweaks, or changes before launch
- Solid, undersold VPS plan (most plans will probably lie outside of LET's price range)
- I guarantee after the 1 month free, you will have the option to continue service at $7.00/monthly (inside LET's price range) although currently my pricing is not planned to be that low. ++
- You get to help see the rise of a new VPS provider looking to provide Xen offerings!

++ This will only apply to VPS plans within reason. It will most likely be for our 512MB RAM XEN plan, but this is subject to change.

If this is against the rules or in the wrong section, please close this thread! If it isn't, great! I hope to see interest in this opportunity!

In order to apply, simply tag me and respond below along with:

RAM wanted: will be giving out mostly 512MB plans, but there may be exceptions
Payment method: I may be charging $0.01 in order to help stop complete fraudsters. I can refund this if needed...
Disk Type wanted: Pure SSD or HDD (obviously disk space will differ based on your selection)
IPv4 addresses needed: How many you need and why
What the VPS will be used for: I want a reason. Even something like "dev and playing around" will suffice.

** IMPORTANT: If you choose SSD, you will NOT get much space!! It will be as low as 3GB total space (per 512MB RAM) PLEASE make sure you understand this before ordering! If you choose HDD, you will get somewhere around 25GB disk (per 512MB RAM)**

I'm going to keep this thread open and accept anyone I see as having good reason for a free server.

Regards,
Jonathan

Comments

• Could we load custom ISOs on them and run gameservers for development?

• @Pwner said:
    Could we load custom ISOs on them and run gameservers for development?

Currently I was only planning on offering XenPV, but I'm sure I could setup a HVM VPS for you. Could you just post an app and also mention that you need a custom ISO so that I am aware if you are selected?

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited December 2014

@Jonchun said:

Pokemon 3D

Since it's a Windows application, I plan on testing it either on a Windows trial ISO (any will do, it's a lightweight server script) or preferably on ReactOS (Windows alternative) as a development environment.

I'd like to test it out on ReactOS because it's a nice, free, and open source alternative to Windows and has a much lighter footprint resources. If it works on ReactOS, then this can help the P3D community a lot as they'll save on expenses paying for Windows licenses to run their servers.

• @Pwner said:
    I'd like to test it out on ReactOS because it's a nice, free, and open source alternative to Windows and has a much lighter footprint resources. If it works on ReactOS, then this can help the P3D community a lot as they'll save on expenses paying for Windows licenses to run their servers.

Will look into this for you. I don't know about ReactOS as I've heard it's not powerful enough to run anything other than very basic applications, but I may be able to get Windows up and running. Will update you tonight. (I can set it up, but I haven't looked into HVM much yet as I want to finish up with all the Linux offerings first so I have no idea what performance will be like)

Do you have any idea what your minimum specs would be for this machine?

On a side note, if anyone with Xen HVM experience wants to chime in on windows performance, please PM me or post here.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • @Jonchun said:
    Do you have any idea what your minimum specs would be for this machine?

I believe your 512MB of RAM plan will suffice. The game server is pretty light in usage. :)

• TheLonelyTheLonely Member
    edited December 2014

A Xen VPS that I've now is getting terminated (something on the host side) this week and I would love to explorer some more of Xen's abilities.

Ram I love to have: 256-512MB

Payment method: PayPal and BitCoin (most prefered), I wouldn't need that $0.01 back.

Disk type: HDD will work, SSD preferred but not needed.

IPv4: One would be sufficient.

Usage: Explorering Xen's abilities and testing out some RPC things I'm playing around with. Nothing very intenstive. I would be monitoring uptime (like I do with all my VPSs :))

• @TheLonely said:

Accepted. Please contact me through PM or by submitting a ticket at sharknode.com and mention your LET name. I'll get you started.

• @Jonchun said:
    Accepted. Please contact me through PM or by submitting a ticket at sharknode.com and mention your LET name. I'll get you started.

Thanks, sorry for the delay.
    Here is the ticket.

• is it still on.
    i would like to test

• @enitan092 said:
    is it still on.
    i would like to test

Please fill out an application.

• shafireshafire Member
    edited December 2014

I love XEN :-)

RAM wanted: 512 MB
    Payment method: PayPal, Credit card, ...
    Disk Type wanted: Pure SSD or better SSD-Cached
    IPv4 addresses needed: 1x (and IPv6 >/64 subnet please)
    What the VPS will be used for: Development and git hosting, Secondary-DNS.

• @shafire said:
    I love XEN :-)

RAM wanted: 512 MB
    Payment method: PayPal, Credit card, ...
    Disk Type wanted: Pure SSD or better SSD-Cached
    IPv4 addresses needed: 1x (and IPv6 >/64 subnet please)
    What the VPS will be used for: Development and git hosting, Secondary-DNS.

Accepted. However, we currently do not support IPv6 on the Xen offerings (will be coming in the next month). If this is still okay with you, please PM me or open a ticket at SharkNode and mention your LET name!

I have a couple more openings so grab your VPS now everyone!

I forgot to mention: This is open to existing SharkNode clients as well.

• @Jonchun

RAM wanted: 512MB-1GB
    Payment method: Paypal
    Disk Type wanted: HDD will do
    IPv4 addresses needed: 1-2
    What the VPS will be used for: I am looking to test Interworx on Xen, as an alt to cpanel for the long term.

• @upfreak said:
    Jonchun

RAM wanted: 512MB-1GB
    Payment method: Paypal
    Disk Type wanted: HDD will do
    IPv4 addresses needed: 1-2
    What the VPS will be used for: I am looking to test Interworx on Xen, as an alt to cpanel for the long term.

Accepted. Please PM me here or open a ticket at SN.

To all accepted people (both public and people who PMd me): There are some delays on our SSD nodes (reconfiguring RAID, tweaking settings, etc). However, if you would like to be provisioned on a HDD node, we can get started today. (just be clear in your request/ticket)