Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Routers & Switches
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Routers & Switches

FRCoreyFRCorey Member
edited July 2012 in General

Looking for an inexpensive router that supports (or switch) IPv6 hsrp/vrrp with gig uplinks. Vyatta and RouterOS do not support these things apparently.

Comments

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

What's your budget?

• If you want to keep costs low, run only IPv6 on a pair of Juniper J2320. They are rated for about 400mbps only, but if it's just redundancy + only IPv6 they work just nice. I use them on my end for this purpose + MPLS termination.

• J2320's run the latest JunOS still and support IPv6 HSRP or VRRP?

• Latest JunOS I have no idea, but I'm running 10.4R8.5 and it's definitely working.

[email protected]> show vrrp 
    Interface     State       Group   VR state VR Mode   Timer    Type   Address
    ge-0/0/3.12   up              1   backup   Active      D  3.571 lcl    2405:4200:X:X::3
                                                                    vip    fe80::X:X:0:1
                                                                    vip    2405:4200:X:X::1
                                                                    mas    fe80::X:X:0:2

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2012

@FRCorey said: Vyatta and RouterOS do not support these things apparently.

Don't tell my Vyatta routers that or they might stop working. :P I'm running 2 Vyatta routers with VRRP (IPv4 and IPv6), OSPF, BGP, and with both fiber and copper GigE uplinks. Works like a charm for full redundancy (using 2 Dell PowerConnect switches with STP).

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Keep in mind that VRRPv3 is still in draft so IPv6 support for VRRP is hit or miss. For Vyatta they have a community provided "hack" that works but doesn't follow the RFC.

• Does Neighbor discovery work well for figuring out a upstream on IPv6? We use it here on some F5 installations, I could go JunOS or Vyatta either cause the CLI's are similar.