Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi Defect Parts Replacement Review (and regular review included)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi Defect Parts Replacement Review (and regular review included)

I decide to write this as a review so that people can find this easily by a search engine.

I have a KS-3 in BHS, coming with i3 8G 1T 100Mbps which you all know. I bought it on July and it has been 5 months. Uptime is perfect and I never had a problem with the networking or a power outage.

However I had never actually checked the hard drive health until I observed server not responding and can not boot up. Switched to rescue mode and checked the log just to find a filesystem crash. As everyone would do, I went to check the SMART and I was shocked that the drive was burning!

Model Family:     Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 (AF)
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   090   090   036    Pre-fail  Always       -       14288
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   087   087   000    Old_age   Always       -       11475

So I backed up my data and was thinking to ask for a replacement.

The traditional way to get kimsufi support was to post on their forum. However, they had just changed their policy and they would no longer visit the forum any more. Instead you have to use Contact Us to send them a ticket email. And I did, on Nov 14.

Endless waiting.

And waiting.

Waiting.

Ting.

Yesterday I got a reply asking if I had backed up all the data, I said yes. Today I got a reply saying that they've finished replacement and also did a fresh installation for me. Just FYI the new drive is Hitachi HUA722010CLA330, brand new 1TB.

Conclusion, a regular ticket costs at least half a month to reply due to the long long backlog. They would have to deal with tickets by time one after another. Once they reply, they will respond quickly (one reply a day or more). No compensation will be provided, thus if you have a dead HDD you have to pay for the server while you are waiting.

Thanked by 2vonlulzweg sipe

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Conclusion's conclusion from the OVH fans here: What did you you expect for that money? Also as an OVH customer you know they often change their policy and terms, you have to diff it every day to be prepared.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Kimsufi support is very bad.

• @Maounique said:

Agree. With that price, a 20 days response window seems reasonable. And their uptime is amazing and I'm quite happy with that. Just wanna let people know beforehand so that they can make their decision before ordering.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @msg7086 said:

20 days response still reasonable?. I think you make a joke.

• I thought they had 24x7 automatic failed HW replacement?

• What joke? The HDD and other parts fail every 2 or 3 years, and you wait 20 days for a replacement. Besides that, no downtime, no outage, no need for support. A similar server I have is $27 a month and comes with limited OS re-installation, worse processor, and the price is after discount. If you can find any similar specs at $25 with better support in North America or Asia please be sure to let me know.

@hostnoob said:
    I thought they had 24x7 automatic failed HW replacement?

No automatic replacement. You have to contact them.

• Don't they install some software for monitoring the hardware on your server, and when they see the hardware (HDD) fail they replace it quickly? But if you remove / disable their possibly backdoored software it won't happen.

• @rds100 said:
    Don't they install some software for monitoring the hardware on your server, and when they see the hardware (HDD) fail they replace it quickly? But if you remove / disable their possibly backdoored software it won't happen.

Afaik they don't monitor SMART status. They do monitor cpu load and memory usage etc, and that works perfect.

msg7086 said: They do monitor cpu load and memory usage

I think you mean you can check it int he panel, but, IMO they have no business in monitoring that, SMART status should be way higher on the agenda.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Maounique said:

Sorry. Yes I mean I can read that on the panel.

• there's no other host that can match kimsufi's pricing with better support :(

• @Ruriko said:
    there's no other host that can match kimsufi's pricing with better support :(

Online.net I think :-)

• @nhocconan said:

Other than the €20/40 setup fee that statement is correct.

• @msg7086,

Just report for slow hdd speed and or found error via smartctl, only need 2-4 hours (since ticket sent) HDD replacement and or whole system in online.net or euserv.com.

No replace hdd in SoYouStart with the same report.

So, need 20 days for HDD replacement is a joke.

• @nhocconan said:

When comparing their 16GB RAM dedi kimsufi is cheaper still :(

• AFAIK, Online.net doesn't peering very well to the west coast, my boxes in LA (Hostigation) and LV (BuyVM) get connection resets and <500kB/s, though to the UK (iperweb) is superb, more than 10MB/s.

Compared to seflow.it, which has average peering to both, with ~3MB/s if my brain memory works well.

I'm talking about their official test files, I will try to test further after my system well configured.

• More to mention is peering from the US/Japan to online.net is more than reverse.

From Kyoto Univ. I got speed ~3.2MB/s at last and 1.81MB/s average; while from NOAA is 24.5MB/s and 16.2MB/s. Warm-up takes a bit of time.

(Noting the test above is during ~UTC 08, and in last post is ~UTC 17, maybe different result if in another hour)

• Kimsufi expect that you don't use this dedi for production use, hence the slow support. I migrated someone to shared hosting a few weeks ago who had his server restarting every few days due to some hardware issues, and kimsufi staff didn't reply to his forum post until 3 days after he posted.

• @hostnoob said:
    I thought they had 24x7 automatic failed HW replacement?

They have automatic detection of some hardware faults but it doesn't always work.

The actual replacement side of things isn't automated though, any hardware replaced will be done by a human.

OstCollector said: though to the UK (iperweb)

Iperweb has no servers in UK, they are in Italy.

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited December 2014

@mustafaramadhan said:
    msg7086,

Just report for slow hdd speed and or found error via smartctl, only need 2-4 hours (since ticket sent) HDD replacement and or whole system in online.net or euserv.com.

When will they become available in North America? I have servers in Japan that serves Asia, and mounting remote storages. North America is the furthest I can accept.

Ping from Japan to BHS 180ms

Ping from Japan to online.net 250ms

That's a lot difference.

• Maounique said: Iperweb has no servers in UK, they are in Italy.

I think ping www.metoffice.gov.uk gives only 1.3x ms (~200km in light speed single trip) makes it impossible in Italy? though Prometeus is Italy-based. Maybe the ip belongs to prometeus.

• www.metoffice.gov.uk is using Akamai

OstCollector said: I think ping www.metoffice.gov.uk gives only 1.3x ms (~200km in light speed single trip) makes it impossible in Italy? though Prometeus is Italy-based. Maybe the ip belongs to prometeus.

I am not sure what you are talking about, that IP is on a cdn, i think, akamai.
    Iperweb LTD is a UK company, but has no separate IP allocation, it is reselling our services in UK, mostly, UK people make up way more than 50%. So, we had the intention to get servers in UK but those plans have been abandoned, we opted for US instead.

• Yep, their support is poop. That's why I left OVH just recently after several years (support always sucked, but at least the servers were working).