Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 only free VPS was on LEB
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 only free VPS was on LEB

I just bumped an old settings recipe when I cleaned up my PC and I found something interesting.

There was an offer from valueserver.de on LEB -> http://lowendbox.com/blog/valueserver-free-256mb-openvz-vps-with-ipv6-only-connectivity/ and the community was exited to learn about the IPv6.

As I remembered the VPS was dead back in 2012, but out of curiosity I tried to log in and I found the VPS is still there and kicking!

I post this because I want to share how the LEB community was back in the days.

You can see that we were enthusiastic to learn together. @_rm (was @rm), @spirit, @dmmcintyre3 were very helpful and enthusiastic to share their knowledge with the community. @yomero, @ErawanArifNugroho, @eLohkCalb, @bayoewebid are among the active people there.

I wonder, does any of you who happened to get the free VPS still have it now?

p.s. I miss @yomero

Comments

• I get the free vps at that time, the service still active untill now, but I can't access the vps :D

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @ErawanArifNugroho I can access it through a tunnel or directly through any box with IPv6 (i.e BuyVM). If I didn't find the note about it I would have forget that I have one.

I just like to play around with it back then :P

• yep, mine is also still running well :p

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • I've often thought that a zero cost IPv6 VPS would be a great thing to have an encourage people to get more acquainted with the IPv6 hell addressing system

• vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited December 2014

hotsnow said: yep, mine is also still running well :p

It is surprising isn't it?

MarkTurner said: I've often thought that a zero cost IPv6 VPS would be a great thing to have an encourage people to get more acquainted with the IPv6 hell addressing system

That was the community all about. We learn together, some are hobbyist, some are new Linux learner, some are dinosaurs like me who don't want to left behind by new emerging technology :)

@Asim was one of the great contributors here. AFAI remember he was busy with his project abroad and work.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Yes, I missed that offer and another a few months before or after :(

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • Ask @netomx, where is @yomero ?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2014

IIRC netomx married him? Or was it someone else?

• @Maounique said:

Ahahaha..
    Wait, are you serious?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2014

said: As I remembered the VPS was dead back in 2012, but out of curiosity I tried to log in and I found the VPS is still there and kicking!

Haha, interesting. Mine was down for a prolonged period at some point (for a week or more), I asked to fix it, didn't get any reply, and after that I think I cancelled the service. So it's still down now, just checked. (Yes I keep all IPs of all servers I ever had in the past).

Never really liked a "free VPS" phenomenon, makes you waste time setting it up and maybe even encourages you to assign some tasks to it, then it goes down and you can't complain because "hey it's free". Even if you leave it idling, it's still one more thing to remember/care about.

With the abundance of very cheap VPSes or even dedis that we have right now, I don't think anyone should even bother providing or getting "free" ones anymore.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@NanoG6 said:
    Ask netomx, where is yomero ?

@Maounique said:

@NanoG6 said:
    Wait, are you serious?

He's swimming at the Gulf Sea... fuck you cheaters...

hahaha, jk, I think he left bc of CC taking ownership of LET, who cares, he's gay anyways :P

• bro, his last login was yesterday so he's still around eh

Thanked by 1netomx
  • rm_ said: With the abundance of very cheap VPSes or even dedis that we have right now, I don't think anyone should even bother providing or getting "free" ones anymore.

I agree. We can have a 1.99EUR nowadays.

• ErawanArifNugroho said: I get the free vps at that time, the service still active untill now, but I can't access the vps :D

Did you lost the password etc?

• Free VPS has been living for 4 years??? A miracle :D

Thanked by 2netomx vRozenSch00n

@NanoG6 said:
    bro, his last login was yesterday so he's still around eh

and he posted on the wabble thread :o

Thanked by 1xDutchy
  • windytime90 said: Free VPS has been living for 4 years??? A miracle :D

Yes, there is an option to add IPv4, but it is quite expensive (4EUR/month) compared to the price of a Kidéchire dedi :)

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited December 2014

Hello

Well, yes. I am still around, sometimes logged in, sometimes not. And indeed, I posted at the Wable thread, but until now nothing changed, and it seems they don't care at all about our opinion, so, nothing to say about that anymore. I visit the site daily. Unfortunately yes, a bunch of people, and a lot of soap operas going on here moved me to leave.

About this VPS, yeah, mine is still alive and kicking

$ uptime
     00:32:41 up 188 days, 21:59,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

As you said, it was down for some time, but got up again, and has been solid, except for some occasional network hiccups according to uptime robot. Is funny to have it still around, despite its really low specs:

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -i mhz
    cpu MHz         : 238.402
    cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -i model
    model           : 15
    model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6600  @ 2.40GHz

So, yes, a Conroe CPU capped to 10% n_n

Still running Debian 5 because it has an old RHEL 5 kernel 2.6.18-308.8.2.el5.028stab101.1 and I am afraid that an upgrade can go bad and we don't have a panel to restore the server (AFAIR).

PS: Nice to see there is some nice people of the old school around =)

PS2: No, we didn't married, lol xD

PS3: I am still active a little bit at "the other" forum, and at the LES forum.

yomero said: the other

:P

• Dang compañero, Yomero is not a chupacabra he is el amigo perdido en el armario :P y yo soy una cucaracha quedan atrapados en el cajón.

Thanked by 2yomero netomx
  • @yomero it is good to see you around, yes it is still an old kernel but it's worth it to play around.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • vRozenSch00n said: Dang compañero, Yomero is not a chupacabra he is el amigo perdido en el armario :P y yo soy una cucaracha quedan atrapados en el cajón.

WTF hahaha =)

vRozenSch00n said: @yomero it is good to see you around

Thanks

vRozenSch00n said: yes it is still an old kernel but it's worth it to play around

Yes, I don't care about the kernel, but about the compatibility fixes that come with new OpenVZ releases to support newer templates (like Debian 6 at least). Even I am afraid to reboot it.

Thanked by 2netomx vRozenSch00n
  • @yomero Debian 6 and even 7 will work this kernel. Ubuntu would be problematic though.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • rds100 said: @yomero Debian 6 and even 7 will work this kernel. Ubuntu would be problematic though.

Well, we don't have a panel to reinstall anyway. Unless you do some really tricky stuff to upgrade Debian to Ubuntu (which I don't use hehe).

I guess I will left it as is. No idea what to do with it tbh...

Thanked by 1netomx

@yomero said:
    I guess I will left it as is. No idea what to do with it tbh...

I hope you post here more often pal :p

Thanked by 1yomero
  • netomx said: I hope you post here more often pal :p

Yeah. You can be a permanent resident like me :P

Thanked by 1netomx
  • That was a great VPS but after some time it got down and they answered me that they are not going to provide free service anymore.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @ValdikSS said:
    That was a great VPS but after some time it got down and they answered me that they are not going to provide free service anymore.

This remembers me of the free VirtuaClub VPS.

Announcement:
    "Our free VPS will also continue after the migrations, please create a ticket to migrate the VPS to the new servers."

Ticket:
    "Yes, we will move your server if you start paying for it ;-)"

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I think that Matthew was inspired by this... He launched his free IPv6 VPS thingy today/yesterday

• ErawanArifNugroho said: I get the free vps at that time, the service still active untill now, but I can't access the vps :D

vRozenSch00n said: Did you lost the password etc?

I don't think so. I experienced the same quite some time ago. IP was up, but I couldn't log in, so I opened ticket to ask them what's about and they simply replied (month or two later) that they don't offer free service anymore.
    I must say that I still use vps from their sister company vps4less.de for almost 7 years! My oldest still active lowendbox I think.