Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

apt-get
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

apt-get

Hi Guys, I'm a little bit frustrated. I recently bought a new Lowend VPS but when i install Debian and try to update it takes a whole hour for a single apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, is that normal?

Already opened a ticket, but i got no reply since yesterday.

Regards,
Faulwurf

Comments

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited December 2014

Yeah, if the VPS is slow and the template is outdated; apt-get could take up to an hour.

(you haven't provided enough information for me to give you a better answer, sorry.)

For example: How many packages to update? How many times did you have to change mirrors during the process? How many package installations got stuck at "Verifying"? How slow are the packages downloading?

Thanked by 1Accel
  • oversell that it

• One of my dedi servers is running BigBlueButton on Ubuntu 14.04. It took 1 hour and half to finish upgrade even though it's not slow server.

It's based on what you installed on your server. If it's just brand new Debian, so your VPS is having problem, maybe the node is oversold.

• faulwurffaulwurf Member
    edited December 2014

@GoodHosting said:
    Yeah, if the VPS is slow and the template is outdated; apt-get could take up to an hour.

(you haven't provided enough information for me to give you a better answer, sorry.)

For example: How many packages to update? How many times did you have to change mirrors during the process? How many package installations got stuck at "Verifying"? How slow are the packages downloading?

That's right, sorry. It's a fresh Debian 7 (64-Bit) build which i installed from solus.

less sources.list:
    deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian wheezy main contrib non-free
    deb http://security.debian.org wheezy/updates main contrib non-free

Download is normal. But i seems like the node is pretty slow but got an i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHz ;/

• I can't think of a legit provider utilizing i7 cpu.

• @764664
    Hosteasy does. I do. And a fair few more do too

• Try to find a local mirror to download stuff for apt-get update!

• Honestly, I'm not sure I like seeing desktop processors in servers; UNLESS you are running game servers, or anything else that requires single core performance over multiple core performance (such as minecraft, and other software that doesn't multi-thread or multi-process very well.)

I'm not sure where I stand on it for VPSes.

edited December 2014

@linuxthefish said:
    Try to find a local mirror to download stuff for apt-get update!

Sadly, the download is okay...

Does that mean the node is oversold? :/

• They might have network issue or slow network

• What is it that takes an hour? Fetching the mirrors, downloading the packages, installing the updates, cleaning up?

• @MrX said:
    What is it that takes an hour? Fetching the mirrors, downloading the packages, installing the updates, cleaning up?

unpacking, installing and cleaning

• Sounds like your host has some abuse or CPU issues, ask them to move you to a different node or to increase your CPU power!

Please share what host it is...

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited December 2014

@faulwurf said:

Please check top in another SSH window while yum is running.

Do you see a lot of iowait , or do you see a lot of steal in the CPU line?

iowait means that there might be an I/O issue (disk or network) on the host.

steal means that there might be a CPU (processor) contention issue on the host.

edited December 2014

@GoodHosting said:

I can see no steal but iowait commutes between 0.0 and 7.0.
    Average: 0.5-2.5

@linuxthefish said:
    Please share what host it is...

I will open a new ticket now, if he doesn't respond to it, i will tell you the name of the company.

• Slow apt-get almost always means I/O wait issues. Oversold disks basically.

@faulwurf: Does opening files take longer than it should? Who's the provider?

• @faulwurf said:
    Download is normal. But i seems like the node is pretty slow but got an i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHz ;/

Is that from Rootnerds?

edited December 2014

@Abdussamad said:
    Slow apt-get almost always means I/O wait issues. Oversold disks basically.

faulwurf: Does opening files take longer than it should? Who's the provider?

I guess you are right. Yes pretty long, as i said i will tell the name of the company, if he doesn't reply to my second ticket which i posted ten minutes ago.