Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Topic filter (for shared offers)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Topic filter (for shared offers)

How can I set up a topic filter in Vanilla to not see all the shared hosting crap that will be coming? Firefox extension? Personal setting?

It would also be nice to block stupid topics...

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2014

What algorithm would one use to determine stupid?

Also, how do I filter stupid topics about filtering stupid topics? (Come on, you know I had to ask that)

• I guess a firefox/chrome extension would be good.

I'll give it a try, when I have some free time to use.

• @Jar said:

Just let the user configure it (ABP style.)

Just insert checkboxes / mark boxes next to the categories list on the template (easy enough to do with a Firefox or Chrome extension, I could even make a GreaseMonkey/UserScript that would give this.) that would disable/enable their visibility.

Thanked by 1Gadelhas
  • GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited December 2014

@Gadelhas said:
    I guess a firefox/chrome extension would be good.

I'll give it a try, when I have some free time to use.

Please see my above post (regarding the checkmark/hotmark idea of implementation), alternatively: an options/settings section either on the site (layout), or in the addon-settings section (for Firefox extensions.)

& If you want to OS collab it, haha. (git, etc.)

Thanked by 1Gadelhas
  • @GoodHosting said:
    & If you want to OS collab it, haha. (git, etc.)

I can create a git repo, ahah no problem, I'll make a first version of it, and then open source it, so everyone can use and change it to their needs. (and even use it on other forums)

• @GoodHosting @gadelhas cool, I'd like to see what the result will be :)

Thanked by 1Gadelhas
  • jqrjqr Member
    edited December 2014

This might be relatively simple. Vanilla gives each topic its own ID in the HTML. This topic, for example, is:

<li id="Discussion_38467">

• These shared offers are polluting. >_<

• David_P said: These shared offers are polluting. >_<

gotta agree w this

• TheKillerTheKiller Member
    edited December 2014

@Jar said:

Also, how do I filter stupid topics about filtering stupid topics? (Come on, you know I had to ask that)

Some javascript will do. This should be the base to hide when appears in the page.

<+span class="MItem Category Category-shared-reseller-offers"><+a href="http://www.lowendtalk.com/categories/shared-reseller-offers">Shared/reseller offers<+/a><+/span>

Remove plus in the tags, as I don't know how to put code there. Don't kill me over this if don't like. :P

• Here's a GreaseMonkey/TamperMonkey script that will hide shared/reseller posts: http://pastebin.com/NghyAjAg

You can still see the posts by visiting the category link on the right.

Thanked by 1Raymii
  • @colm said:
    Here's a GreaseMonkey/TamperMonkey script that will hide shared/reseller posts: http://pastebin.com/NghyAjAg

You can still see the posts by visiting the category link on the right.

Awesome. Will try it later today,