Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who do you go to for your bigger vm
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who do you go to for your bigger vm

I have a few things that i run in production, and also get a fair amount of traffic always wanting to who people go to for there larger vm size. Starting above.

2x cores(vCpu)
2gb ram
any disk size.
1tb bw
kvm/xen

I am not looking simply looking in the lowend price but sometimes you started with the provider and grew into a bigger vm. But looking for the hosts that have pricing in the lowend for test vm.

Comments

• wychwych Member
    edited December 2014

I personally use dedicated boxes > VM's more nowadays.

When I had VM's in "production" for said projects it was with @Jack and only for a few months IIRC.

• I've used all of the following below:

Knownhost
    ExaCloud
    Webair

All have been solid.

• What about Amazon or Rackspace?

• wojonswojons Member
    edited December 2014

@MarkTurner said:
    What about Amazon or Rackspace?

When i start thinking i need aws or rackspace cloud i normally just pick up a dedicated server because there cost spike is so high. the are more around the features they have to offer in the datacenter but i just need a vps its self. also i like to avoid being locked in by features i would rather be locked in by your amazing customer support and price.

edit:
    rackspace does have great customer support and i love it.
    aws you have to pay for customer support which is percentage of overall bill or wait for them to reply to your ticket.

• Why not just pick up some of those X5150's again and use them. They are as cheap as chips, use Virtualizor which is included with those units and you have an instant VPS server.

• @MarkTurner said:
    Why not just pick up some of those X5150's again and use them. They are as cheap as chips, use Virtualizor which is included with those units and you have an instant VPS server.

I am going to have to for a totally seperate project dont worry i just need to check your ssd pricing. one of the hosts i am using i think is deadpooling have not heard from them in a while. and support got really bad before the silence.

• Now is a good time to do it , there is about 11 hours and 30 minutes left on the Black Friday/Cyber Monday promo.

wojons said: one of the hosts i am using i think is deadpooling

There are quite a few on their way down right now. Out of interest PM the name and I'll see what I can find out.

• The specs you've listed aren't big. Check out Linode.

• wojonswojons Member
    edited December 2014

@kcaj said:
    The specs you've listed aren't big. Check out Linode.

i know there not BIG i just trying to rule out the super small ones thats the smallest the project can run on but it uses normally 8gb ram nodes for starters.

@MarkTurner said:
    Now is a good time to do it , there is about 11 hours and 30 minutes left on the Black Friday/Cyber Monday promo.

There are quite a few on their way down right now. Out of interest PM the name and I'll see what I can find out.

clicked the link in ur sig and it was 72$ for 3 months not the old 60$ for 3 months. was about to pick up 5.

• @kcaj said:
    The specs you've listed aren't big. Check out Linode.

Yeah seriously for anything around that specs for production sites either Linode, Digital Ocean or Run Above. 4+ cores / 4Gb+ and Dedi's start to make more sense than other alternatives, unless you need guaranteed HA.

• RunAbove have a habit of just shutting accounts down and purging VMs. I have heard this from two different people on here, who needed a fast home for their backups. One was in Europe and one in US.

One was running three instances of MongoDB and the other was running a single instance of MySQL. These are not people running warez sites or anything nefarious.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @MarkTurner said:
    RunAbove have a habit of just shutting accounts down and purging VMs. I have heard this from two different people on here, who needed a fast home for their backups. One was in Europe and one in US.

One was running three instances of MongoDB and the other was running a single instance of MySQL. These are not people running warez sites or anything nefarious.

First have heard anything like this, as been using them myself for a few months and its been steller on those sites. Do you have a link to this info?

• This was via email from two different people over the course of a week. One said they claimed 'your usage of the service was against our policy' that was a three instance MongoDB. They promptly purged his account and deleted all his data.

Just to put this in perspective, this particular customer I have known him about 2 years, he is software developer, very straight forward guy, definitely not some spammer or anything. He has been at Linode about 10 years, never a complaint.

Normally I am extremely positive towards OVH, their dedicated servers I can't fault. But killing customer's VMs and the purging their data without warning is NOT nice.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

MarkTurner said: What about Amazon or Rackspace?

You will pay outrageously for bandwidth on Amazon.

At least inbound is free.

• PulseHeberg

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

IWStack has instances as big as 16 GB, OVerZold can have up to 8 GB for 10 GBP if you are OK with OVZ. 4GB Xenpower are also not that expensive and you can have large disk ones too, it depends what you need, sadly apart from iwstack, there is not always stock on the others. If you need one out of stock, open a ticket, I will see what can be done.

• Don't forget waveride.at and openvz.io too

• @cassa said:
    Don't forget waveride.at and openvz.io too

kvm/xen only

• @wojons said:

Woops.

PulseHeberg had an cheap big KVM offer. But Black Friday is over :(

• Linode

Dediserve

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • Linode+1

• VpsDime if you need *nix Vps.
    Winity if you need Windows VPS.

Other good providers I already had experience with: MyCustomHosting, GoodHosting, MyRsk, RamNode

• @MarkTurner said:
    This was via email from two different people over the course of a week. One said they claimed 'your usage of the service was against our policy' that was a three instance MongoDB. They promptly purged his account and deleted all his data.

Just to put this in perspective, this particular customer I have known him about 2 years, he is software developer, very straight forward guy, definitely not some spammer or anything. He has been at Linode about 10 years, never a complaint.

Normally I am extremely positive towards OVH, their dedicated servers I can't fault. But killing customer's VMs and the purging their data without warning is NOT nice.

I can confirm this. I spun up one of their smaller plans just to test them out. It sat idle for 1 day. I came back, and my VM was deleted out of nowhere. RunAbove is sketchy.

• runabove stuff looks stupid cheap. shocking that idling was even bad maybe there ip addrss subnet is always getting scaned and someone hates them enough to make it look like ur doing bad things network wise

• RunAbove I'd wait with. Seems like a lot of bad people started messing with their services because of the Promos they had. I think it has potential though.

Linode has always seemed like a really awesome place to get your production stuff, never tried it though.

DO I wouldn't trust with a production setup, I've had a few bad experiences with them. Was always resolved though, but uptime suffered.

VPSDime has been rock solid for me. I also got a node with Virtora, which has 1½ years of uptime on it. Nodisto owns VPSDime and Virtora, so they're essentailly the same.

• frankfrank Member
    edited December 2014

@TheCTS said:
    I can confirm this. I spun up one of their smaller plans just to test them out. It sat idle for 1 day. I came back, and my VM was deleted out of nowhere. RunAbove is sketchy.

Was this a Sandbox instance? Honestly think all the bad issues are due to people using them and not realising Run Above can take them down without a moments notice as they are only for testing / development and not for real sites.

As said my two proper instances have both been solid without a single issue.

• @frank said:
    As said my two proper instances have both been solid without a single issue.

I believe it was a sandbox instance. The only problem was, all I did was update and upgrade and let it sit idle for 1 day, then they up and deleted it. I can't make any VMs anymore either.

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited December 2014

MarkTurner said: RunAbove have a habit of just shutting accounts down and purging VMs

frank said: First have heard anything like this, as been using them myself for a few months and its been steller on those sites. Do you have a link to this info?

Happened to me also, i had 3 VPS's running FTP servers and all gone. I think @kcaj had some issues also?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2014

linuxthefish said: Happened to me also, i had 3 VPS's running FTP servers and all gone. I think @kcaj had some issues also?

Ah, the OVH famous anti-fraud system... I bet they have no fraud because of it, same no abuse due to the anti-abuse system (of which I havent heard lately, maybe they fixed their systems or they dont target romanians or italians anymore).

• linuxthefish said: Happened to me also, i had 3 VPS's running FTP servers and all gone. I think @kcaj had some issues also?

My account was never verified, it hung for a while where I wasn't able to create a VM and then they deleted my account all-together without any notice/explanation.