Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How big is your iRedMail mail server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How big is your iRedMail mail server?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Thinking of putting up my own iRedMail server, now that Uncle Google is not playing nice with adding domains. And also because, well, I have to do something with all these LEBs.

How big is your iRedMail server? I realize it depends on how much mail/how many users so maybe share that info, too.

I was hoping to use a 128MB or 256MB OvZ. This would be for one user (me) with a few domains.

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

256MB with some swap would be the absolute minimum if you don't want to seriously strip things down.

I would recommend 512MB+

• iRedMail is fairly resource intensive, because of the whole Apache + MySQL setup.

Your best bet would be to go with a manual setup and skip that. Seriously, you won't need a web interface to create accounts since you won't be adding them constantly.

• I wouldn't run it on anything less than 512 MB RAM. It will eat all of that on default settings. You really need at least 768 or 1024 MB to be comfortable, unless you start tweaking the settings and disabling some of the packages.

• Also +1 for 512MB+. The amount of tweaking you'll have to do at 128-256mb i'm pretty sure you'll save more time setting it up manually.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Thanks for the advice. The site says 1GB minimum so it sounds like maybe that's the hassle-free way to go.

• Try https://mailinabox.email/ instead. It does not use MySQL and replaces Apache with nginx (for webmail).

Thanked by 1raindog308

tortau said: Try https://mailinabox.email/ instead. It does not use MySQL and replaces Apache with nginx (for webmail).

Thanks - that looks cool - I'll try it.

• Reading a bit you could setup fairly easily postfix + dovecot (for example) + squirrelmain + nginx and that wouldn't use much ressources. 256MB would be enough imo...

mailinabox sounds nice though :)

Yeah it can all be done lean and mean, but frankly I'm being lazy. I find mail a headache to administer, mainly because the technologies involved are designed to handle complex setups and I typically just want to send and receive mail pretty simply.

I mean, seriously, sendmail is so complicated you need to learn a macro language to administer the damn thing...

Even the simplicity of OpenSMTPD bores me to tears :-)