Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS for Private Docker Registry
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS for Private Docker Registry

ranaldlysranaldlys Member
edited November 2014 in Requests

I am looking to create a private docker registry on a VPS by following this guide (https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-a-private-docker-registry-on-ubuntu-14-04) .

Not sure if anyone had experience in this but I have a few questions:

1) I know Docker containers do not run on OpenVZ generally but the Private Docker Registry doesn't seem to use containers (from the guide). So would the Private Docker Registry run fine on an OpenVZ VPS?

2) How much RAM does it generally need? My best bet would be that it is not very intensive, anything >=256MB would do.

VPS Specs:

Single CPU (any actually, doubt it will be CPU intensive)

50GB - 200GB HDD

1-2TB Bandwidth

256 - 512 MB RAM (I guess, unless I am suggested otherwise in question 2)

1x IPv4 (no requirement for IPv6)

1Gbps uplink/downlink

Location is not important but:

1) Need to have high transfer speeds (8-10MBps) from DigitalOcean Singapore and RunAbove BHS (where I would be running my Docker containers on).

2) Transfer speeds are more important than ping.

I have tried some LA providers and it seems that the pipe from LA to Asia is rather saturated, reaching maximum speed of about 2MBps at certain times of the day (it varies). Hope to get a more stable connection.

My budget is about $15-30 USD/year (depending on the HDD space)

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• You might wish to consider Vultr for they have a 160 GB SATA plan for $5.00/mo ($60/yr) and they offer a Tokyo Location, which would be excellent for Asian traffic.

• DalekOfSkaro said: You might wish to consider Vultr for they have a 160 GB SATA plan for $5.00/mo ($60/yr) and they offer a Tokyo Location, which would be excellent for Asian traffic.

Thanks for the suggestion! But as far as I know, Vultr's SATA plan seems to be only in New Jersey only. (Or is their website outdated? )

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited November 2014

@ranaldlys said:

I can offer you a VPS in Los Angeles. It is hosted inside QuadraNet's DC. Have you tested your connection with their LA location before?

http://www.quadranet.com/company/los-angeles/

Edit (forgot to mention pricing). For an OpenVZ box, it will be:

1 IPv4 address
    256 MB RAM
    50 GB RAID Storage
    250 GB BW

for $3/monthly ($30 paid annually).

I noticed your bandwidth requirements are extremely high, so I'll post these charges too.

500GB extra bandwidth: $10.00/month
    1TB extra bandwidth: $15.00/month

and

100GB extra diskspace: $7.00/month

However, it is probably cheaper to just order a more expensive plan if you need the quotas to be recurring. The upgrade options were targeted at people who incurred overage fees/needed a temporary upgrade due to a spike in traffic or something similar. You can view more information at

http://www.sharknode.com/vps