Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

White label OpenVZ management...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

White label OpenVZ management...

subigosubigo Member
edited July 2012 in General

I provide white label hosting for a few people and one of my old clients just came back wanting me to manage things for him again. He was almost getting free service in the past and insists I'm trying to rip him off now with my new quote. I'm not going to say how much I quoted him, but I'd like some opinions on what you think would be a fair monthly price for something like this:

• Xeon 5420 w/ 16GB RAM and 1 Gbit port
  • OpenVZ installation and management with installation of any control panel you want
  • 60 second checks on uptime with proactive reboots if needed
  • Unlimited support tickets with a 24 hour response/resolution guarantee

He doesn't pay for anything. The server, control panel, monitoring, etc... that's all taken care of by me. He pays me one lump amount for everything each month.

What's a fair amount to charge someone for what is basically running their entire back-end for them?

Comments

• 400 a month.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2012

Though I could find cheaper with likely equivalent support, considering that you can't be expected to make up for good deals on something like that with volume sales (I assume), I'd say $250-$300/m minimum. More (up to $500) if the network is solid, consistent, and you're immediately on top of it when monitoring checks come back less than ideal.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

$500-600

• subigosubigo Member

Your three quotes are all I need. I quoted him $375/month and he used to pay $190/month.

• @subigo said: Your three quotes are all I need. I quoted him $375/month and he used to pay $190/month.

Hell I'd hire you if I can pay 190.

• subigosubigo Member

@HalfEatenPie said: Hell I'd hire you if I can pay 190.

Yeah, so would anyone else in the world, seeing as how the server bills and other licenses came to about $130/month by themselves. I was only making like $50/month per server the last time he was my client and he opened at least one ticket per day.

• @subigo said: Unlimited support tickets with a 24 hour response

Support to his customers or just directly to him?

@subigo said: He pays me one lump amount for everything each month.

That's worth something right there. :)

• subigosubigo Member

@EricCubixCloud said: Support to his customers or just directly to him?

Just him. It's basically a step between a fully managed server and a full-time server admin.

• @subigo said: Just him. It's basically a step between a fully managed server and a full-time server admin.

So... uhh... you up for hire?

• Bandwidth?

$190/month. Too cheapppppppp.

• subigosubigo Member

@HalfEatenPie said: So... uhh... you up for hire?

lol... not for $50/month. The cheapest work I do now is $99/month and that's for a client who handles his own billing for the server and solusvm.

• subigosubigo Member

@cosmicgate said: Bandwidth?

$190/month. Too cheapppppppp.

Depends on the Datacenter they go with. Most people choose Datashack, so they get 10TB.

And I know. I'm in the wrong business. My old support guy just quit to do server management for real companies and is already banking about $7k/month.

• TazTaz Member

@subigo are you renting those server or colocating? That could play a role on your pricing. But ya, in order to make a decent admin life, you should not charge a dime below 350

• subigosubigo Member

@NinjaHawk said: @subigo are you renting those server or colocating? That could play a role on your pricing. But ya, in order to make a decent admin life, you should not charge a dime below 350

They're all rented. My quotes always depend on which datacenter they choose.

• TazTaz Member

@subigo said: They're all rented. My quotes always depend on which datacenter they choose.

Then 4-600$ would be perfect considering that this proactive not reactive management.

• RandyRandy Member

when are you doing node management!?

a 100-200 USD is very reasonable. (per month)

• subigosubigo Member

@Randy said: when are you doing node management!?

I do it right now. I've been doing it for three years. I just don't advertise it, because it's a very specific type of management and I didn't figure too many people would be interested.

• TaylorTaylor Member

It is a very steep jump, its almost double the cost he is currently paying. It might be hard for him to find that extra amount so soon unless he doubles his prices. Your new prices are not bad its just your old one was to low, would it be possible to help him out and meet in the middle or something?

• subigosubigo Member

@Taylor said: It is a very steep jump, its almost double the cost he is currently paying. It might be hard for him to find that extra amount so soon unless he doubles his prices. Your new prices are not bad its just your old one was to low, would it be possible to help him out and meet in the middle or something?

He's not currently paying anything to me, he's not my client right now. He was my vps client last year, grew his hosting company to the point of needing 11 nodes and I made him a deal. Then about six months ago he cancelled everything, moved to a different datacenter, and hired a "linux admin" who ended up being a 16 year old kid who got grounded from the Internet and disappeared for a month.

So now he wants to come back and he expects the old pricing, which isn't going to happen... because I basically ran his entire company for a year and I have no desire to be his dedicated 24/7 on-call admin for under $500/month again.

• AmitzAmitz Member

Good so! Stay tough! Sometimes it is better not to have a business than having a business that is only causing headaches for a small amount of profit!

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • RandyRandy Member

@subigo said: He's not currently paying anything to me, he's not my client right now. He was my vps client last year, grew his hosting company to the point of needing 11 nodes and I made him a deal. Then about six months ago he cancelled everything, moved to a different datacenter, and hired a "linux admin" who ended up being a ******16 year old kid who got grounded from the Internet and disappeared for a month.******

So now he wants to come back and he expects the old pricing, which isn't going to happen... because I basically ran his entire company for a year and I have no desire to be his dedicated 24/7 on-call admin for under $500/month again.

Nice one
    lol they can charge him

• PADPAD Member
    edited July 2012

I do the same type of service, and have the same experience every now and then. People are really ignorant to the amount of work you put in. Like you said you practically ran his company for him. Just tell him the price and if he doesn't like it he can go and hire another kiddie.