Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a beast
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a beast

I have a very large amount of DATA that i need to collect and sort from various places. I am looking for a Deal on 8 -16gb machine, SSD and good uplink

Comments

• How much disk and how much transfer?

• @LeoK said:
    I have a very large amount of DATA that i need to collect and sort from various places. I am looking for a Deal on 8 -16gb machine, SSD and good uplink

What SSD storage you looking for?

• biuletechbiuletech Member
    edited November 2014

1GB unmetered uplink, 8 GB ram, Quad core, 1 TB HDD -> 90 bucks / Month
    If interested contact me: [email protected]

• biuletech said: 1 TB unmetered uplink

Doesn't that contradict itself?

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • 1TB uplink ( network connection ) that is unmetered, unlimited Bandwith

• Sorry I`m a verrt tired man. i wanted to say 1GB uplink

• @biuletech said:
    Sorry I`m a verrt tired man. i wanted to say 1GB uplink

There's a difference between GB and Gb, im sure it doesn't come with a 8Gbit/s uplink? :)

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited November 2014

@VikingLayer said:
    There's a difference between GB and Gb, im sure it doesn't come with a 8Gbit/s uplink? :)

why dont all providers advertise in GB/s instead of using confusing Gb/s a-like values? as far i know GB/s is what you really get and Gb/s is just to confuse people thinking they get more than they'll recieve. This message is not about doubting you in being straight-forward but is just for me to recieve some answers on why people whould use Gb/s instead of GB/s.

Thank you and everyone else who might be able to enlighten this case for me.

• Man ive been here for 50 minutes and you wolves are getting on my back. If you have a better offer, just post it and let me be ! Success is a dream Ive been chasing for a long time as it vanished a couple of Months ago. And yes, the vps comes with 1 gb ( 1000 mbit ) line that supports speed up to 125mb/s.

• @Mark_R said:
    Thank you and everyone else who might be able to enlighten this case for me.

The standard is to measure in Gb/s (gigabits) rather than GB/s (gigabytes).

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @Mark_R said:
    why dont all providers advertise in GB/s instead of using confusing Gb/s

Because network speed is measured in Gb, not GB.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited November 2014

@kcaj @MicroLinux

but isn't it more realistic to provide a average customer with GB/s values? there are alot of people that do not know what is the difference, it would be nice if we all just provide them with the real GB/s they get right? alot of people assume we talk in GB/s instead of Gb/s and fall into this trap.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited November 2014

@Mark_R said:
    but isn't it more realistic to provide a regular customer with GB/s values?

Or is it ultimately more confusing since everywhere else they will see Gb/s values, and just about every bandwidth calculation assumes bits rather than bytes? Standards exist to standardize things.

• @Microlinux said:
    Or is it ultimately more confusing since everywhere else they will see Gb/s values, and just about every bandwidth calculation assumes bits rather than bytes? Standards exist to standardize things.

I know there have to be standards but people so far assume they get the max percentage instead of less, giving them Gb/s values is not the max percentage. thats what troubles me and alot of other people most likely. I'm still confused between the two values and thats no good.

• vpslegendvpslegend Member
    edited November 2014

1 Gb/s = 125 MBps

1 GB/s = 8000 Mbps

• Try VPS Dime that have excellent storage VPS plans - like: 1 TB HDD/8 TB BW/10Gbit Connection for under $20

• @LeoK said:

http://www.soyoustart.com/ie/essential-servers/

• vpslegend said: 1 GB/s = 8000 Mbps

I FTFY

Thanked by 1vpslegend
  • @Mark_R said:
    people so far assume they get the max percentage instead of less, giving them Gb/s values is not the max percentage

I don't understand what you are trying to say here?

• @Microlinux said:
    I don't understand what you are trying to say here?

Ok. Why provide customers with Gb/s values when you can give them GB/s values that are more true to them? the average client does not know the difference between GB/s or Gb/s - I'd say you provide them with the max value which is indicated in GB/s - this way they know what they Truly get.

• @Mark_R said:
    kcaj MicroLinux

but isn't it more realistic to provide a average customer with GB/s values? there are alot of people that do not know what is the difference, it would be nice if we all just provide them with the real GB/s they get right? alot of people assume we talk in GB/s instead of Gb/s and fall into this trap.

And advertise 0.125GB/s vs 1Gb/s? No - get with it.

• @kcaj said:
    And advertise 0.125GB/s vs 1Gb/s? No - get with it.

could you be more detailed with this? english is not my primary language so i might have missed the point because it was too vague (my apologies.)

• @Mark_R said:
    could you be more detailed with this? english is not my primary language so i might have missed the point because it was too vague (my apologies.)

Advertising in Gb/s is the norm. If you were to advertise in GB/s, the usual 1Gb/s you see here would be 0.125GB/s.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited November 2014

@Mark_R said:

GB/s (capital B) is a gigabytes per second
    Gb/s (lowercase B) is gigabits per second

There are 8 bits in a byte, so 1GB/s is 8Gb/s

Bandwidth is usually measured in Gb/s (or Gbps) so 1Gbps will give you a download speed of (1000 / 8) about 125MB/s. 100Mbps will give you a download speed of (100 / 8) about 12.5MB/s

• vpslegendvpslegend Member
    edited November 2014

@rajprakash said:
    I FTFY

It was an unintentional mistake & thanks for the correction.

• @kcaj said:
    Advertising in Gb/s is the norm. If you were to advertise in GB/s, the usual 1Gb/s you see here would be 0.125GB/s.

Why not help the community by showing off the max GB/s you can deliver instead of presenting them a much lower value in Gb/s ? like I mentioned before, alot of people do not know the difference or care about it, they assume you are talking in the max value instead of a little bit of Gb/s .

You should be honest and talk about what they really get with the appropriate values which is not ending up with Gb/s - GB/s is the true amount of what we get and should be mentioned instead of the Gb/s.

• @Mark_R said:

1Gb/s is equal to 0.125GB/s, neither is greater than the other so neither would be 'presenting a much lower value'.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @kcaj said:
    1Gb/s is equal to 0.125GB/s, neither is greater than the other so neither would be 'presenting a much lower value'.

customers assume a higher value is better when it comes to speed. when we calculate in Gb a higher value will be actually alot lower compared to GB/s value.. customers only care about what GB/s they get and dont wanna hear about Gb/s because they would have to learn the difference between them first in order to determine whats better. Feeding them with Gb/s values instead of GB/s values is a scam in my opinion.

• edited November 2014

Deleted!

• Microlinux said: Because network speed is measured in Gb, not GB.

People seem to have a hard time grasping the difference between a rate and an amount.

Network speed is a rate and is measured in bits, e.g. 100 mbps (megabits per second).

Data transferred is an amount and is measured in bytes, e.g. 500 MB/month (megabytes per month).