Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VirtKick panel for VPS providers - all free - coming soon
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VirtKick panel for VPS providers - all free - coming soon

NowakerNowaker Member
edited November 2014 in General

Good news LowEndTalkers!

We secured around $20,000 for VirtKick development. Our team can focus our full-time efforts on the project. :) Expect a full-fledged VPS panel with e-commerce features in the next months! This is the roadmap from our Indiegogo campaign:

For those of you who haven't yet heard about VirtKick, it's a free & open source VPS panel, similar to DigitalOcean. Simplicity is number one goal.

Check out our website, get familiar with planned features or play with the alpha on your Linux desktop.

Thanks, -Nowaker

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Nowaker its a great project and has the potential to completely take over however there seems to be a missing element which everyone that writes their own panel forgets almost without exception.

Everyone writes their own panels assuming that people will be using it from new or from day 1, little regard is given to migrating from another panel(s) short of some OpenVZ import script which is not even half the job.

Tell me I am wrong about virtkick?

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS
  • Very very cool!
    Please, add theme feature where you can change colors from current to another one?)

• sparkosparko Member
    edited November 2014

@Nowaker Good Luck

• What @AnthonySmith said, he's on the ball today...

• @AnthonySmith Tell me I am wrong about virtkick?

I'm happy to say you are! :) Ultimately, we want it to be a drop-in replacement for SolusVM. (And I really mean "drop-in") But first, we need a panel with all the needed features, and then we can work on migrating people to VirtKick.

Thanked by 1desperand
  • @Nowaker - Congratulations!

Nowaker said: I'm happy to say you are! :) Ultimately, we want it to be a drop-in replacement for SolusVM. (And I really mean "drop-in") But first, we need a panel with all the needed features, and then we can work on migrating people to VirtKick.

Cool so SolusVM as you know is only 50% of the puzzle, no one uses it in isolation, so it handles the WHMCS module updates and migration as well?

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Cool so SolusVM as you know is only 50% of the puzzle, no one uses it in isolation, so it handles the WHMCS module updates and migration as well?

Yes. We'll first implement billing directly in VirtKick, so there's no need for any external software. It'll do the job for VPS providers that don't offer any other hosting services. VirtKick will import what's possible from WHMCS.

The next step is real integration with WHMCS and Blesta, as outlined on our road map. The integration will be optional - only general hosting providers will use this.

I see, that's essentially what I meant, it is not really possible for the established market to migrate.

• NowakerNowaker Member
    edited November 2014

@AnthonySmith said:
    I see, that's essentially what I meant, it is not really possible for the established market to migrate.

How's the second point I outlined contrary to what you're saying? We do want, and will provide good ways for established market to migrate by being a drop-in replacement for SolusVM and by providing the real WHMCS integration. That's our line of action.

Just note: we first need a panel, then a simple billing, then an importer, then a WHMCS plugin and so on. The process is iterative. (If it wasn't, you wouldn't be able to play with VirtKick on your localhost today)

• @desperand said:
    Very very cool!
    Please, add theme feature where you can change colors from current to another one?)

Already on our internal roadmap. :) When we have the most important features implemented, we'll get to it.

• said: We secured around $20,000 for VirtKick development.

Indiegogo still shows $2,598. Did someone donated to you guys a huge sum of money privately?

• @VenexCloud_Huiren said:
    Indiegogo still shows $2,598. Did someone donated to you guys a huge sum of money privately?

Yep, I explained it in "Updates" section on Indiegogo and in the blog post. We'll get $18,000 from a startup accelerator.

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited November 2014

Nowaker said: Yep, I explained it in "Updates" section on Indiegogo and in the blog post. We'll get $18,000 from a startup accelerator.

Cool! Just one question, how will this startup accelerator affect your team as a whole? I've seen some companies that after they receive money from investors, their whole company's direction is sort of controlled by the investors.

No offense intended, just curious.

• @Nowwaker good going :)

I'll be eagerly waiting for VirtKick to be production ready. I will be surely trying the
    beta on my local lab. Hope you'll secure much more funding so that you can implement
    all those nice features :)

edited November 2014

@Nowwaker nice one, I genuinely hope to see the full migration capabilities soon then, my experience in general is that no one ever completes this or only considers a percentage of it not the whole thing.

many people have said yes we offer drop in replacement for solusvm, and we also offer a separate WHMCS module but the WHMCS migration side is not automated, I hope this is different :)

• @VenexCloud_Huiren How will this startup accelerator affect your team as a whole? No offense intended, just curious.

No problem! That's a legit question. :) All depends on the investors that you accept. Accepting all of them leads to that, which is not good. But think of Docker. They are Y Combinator alums, got $55M in investments, yet what they're still open source, and do great job. So how this affects our team - it lets us work full-time on this, actually. :)

Thanked by 1GIANT_CRAB
  • @AnthonySmith I hope this is different :)

You'll see when time comes. THanks for your valuable feedback. :)

• Looking forward to seeing this :) Would be nice to have something looking a bit more cleaner and modern than SolusVM :)

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

So , most likely I'll be the first one to try it out by new year sounds good new panel + new business + new options.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

If you are planning to be a drop in replacement for solusvm, openvz support is a must.

• desperanddesperand Member
    edited November 2014

Btw for "shoot-fast" you need next

• Migration scripts from another CP to new one.

• Fast installation and configuration in 1 line.

• Plugin System + Multilanguage support.

• Be fast as maximum as it possible.

• Be very simple and friendly

:) Goodluck!

• Thanks @desperand - we already have 1.5/5 of the point s you mentioned, and are progressing. :)

• Seem like a cool project, good luck on it!

Thanked by 1MSPNick
  • I would love to donate my time. I am not the best at ruby so cant say i can give a lot there but if you need OPS testing firewall rule making python go php then let me know.

• Please make sure to focus on KVM as the main supported container. OpenVZ has enough people using it with solusvm, but with kvm, not many for the prices we'd like. DigitalOcean, Vultr, RunAbove, all use KVM but have their own custom panel.

There is also an open source project https://github.com/retspen/webvirtmgr which supports kvm and feels like the digitalocean panel but they don't have multi user support or anything billing related

• @camjac251 said:
    Please make sure to focus on KVM as the main supported container. OpenVZ has enough people using it with solusvm, but with kvm, not many for the prices we'd like. DigitalOcean, Vultr, RunAbove, all use KVM but have their own custom panel.

There is also an open source project https://github.com/retspen/webvirtmgr which supports kvm and feels like the digitalocean panel but they don't have multi user support or anything billing related

Do be aware virtkick is using webvirtmgr in the backend temporarily.

• NowakerNowaker Member
    edited November 2014

@camjac251 said:
    Please make sure to focus on KVM as the main supported container. OpenVZ has enough people using it with solusvm, but with kvm, not many for the prices we'd like. DigitalOcean, Vultr, RunAbove, all use KVM but have their own custom panel.

You're right. Actually, KVM is the first virt technology, and our alpha already supports it. OpenVZ is the next virt technology that want to support.

Funny thing: VirtKick wraps WebVirtMgr. You won't normally see it, but it's there. :) We use it as a proxy to libvirt (for now, until we're not done with our fog.io backend). We use it in background - we schedule tasks for background execution and track its progress. WebVirtMgr itself isn't designed for performance. A few concurrent users make it unusable.

• Thanks @wojons, how about Ansible, have you ever used it?