Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Classic 1 VPS any good?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Classic 1 VPS any good?

vladka24vladka24 Member
edited November 2014 in Help

Is it any good, I want to have a testing vps with ddos protection so I thought this would be a good idea.

Any suggestions, should I buy it?

Comments

• I have 1 running for 4 months. A wordpress install with nginx in front of apache under ubuntu 14.04. Took 3 automated hard reboots, but cannot complain.

• Any script that causes excessive load will get killed.

• Don't do anything CPU intensive.

• Try not to format/reinstall often, it takes hell alot of time to update, upgrade and install.

• Use a lightweight distro, such as Debian.

• Be sure to check your IP with common banlists.

• I signed up just to post here. I ordered a VPS CLASSIC from OVH 10 days ago and set the reverse DNS (rDNS,PTR) right away. On Thursday I called to ask why it isn't working. On Friday the support created a ticket. On Saturday I called again. On Monday I received an email that someone was looking at the problem. On Tuesday I called again. On Wednesday I called again. Did I mention I am unable to see the ticket status, because I have no sufficient rights? Now I am sick of calling and waiting, ordered a $10/y VPS from LEB and rDNS/PTR was set up instantly.

I have similar bad experience with their kimsufi dedicated servers. In case of Hardware failure you have to post logs in the OVH forum, for a ticket to be created, after an OVH employee has looked at the logs. They state the forum support works from Monday-Friday, my hard drive broke on a Friday morning and they responded on Tuesday (their previous responses were on Thursday).

Server performance/price A+++
    Support performance F---

Would have loved to stay with them until I die (I have been with OVH for more than 2 years), but the best server at smallest price is useless if it does not work.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I've had a good experience with the product, obviously considering the limitations it has.

But yeah, don't expect support from OVH.

• Yeah they are OK, but some random reboots and a bit of downtime lately...

• I've got two of the VPS Classic 1 and they perform very well with Debian 7 and Usermin installed. Pages load very fast from the UK.
    But recently I realised I couldn't FTP between them when I could connect to any third party server. Traceroutes timed out as well.
    I raised a ticket which was responded to but it took 48 hours and some traceroute logs for them just to relog the ticket in the main support system for a data center engineer to investigate. Then I got asked yesterday for the traceroute logs again!
    They are still investigating....
    So, I really like the performance but support is s....l....o....w.

• It's shite. Get their dedi or get something like Vultr or Digital Ocean.

• If you like constant network slowdowns, go for it.

• I think OVH's VPS offering are their weakest products. Their VPS's are like 1&1's just slow and unreliable. OVH should really stick to dedicated servers which they do fantastically!

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • OVH is currently negating my questions, great! What do I like downtime.

• I've had a VPS with them last spring, and they rebooted the node almost avery week or so... I don't recommend them.

Go get a VPS with MyCustomHosting @MCHPhil instead if you like OVH and ddos protection. Their yearly 512MB is really cheap and is working great!

Fred

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

You should take a VPS from an OVH Dedicated Reseller instead. Their Classic branch is unreliable and reboot minimum once a week. I take 3 of them on differents nodes and all the same problem, even if the VPS has nothing installed.

Their Cloud branch is better but expensive.

Regards, David

• howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited November 2014

My VPS Classic in BHS was unreachable twice yesterday and once today. Service is generally stable over the months, but there have been bad network issues lately. (VAC-related?)

Not running anything resource intensive so I cannot speak about the performance. You should expect reboots at least a couple of times per month, some are announced at http://status.ovh.net under the VPS category.

As a side note, I tried their VPS Cloud product with Windows 2012 for a couple of months. There were a few times that the VPS was suddenly rebooted (by OVH) and power failure events would appear in the Windows event log.

And afterwards some "detected disk controller error" events showed up, for which I searched the web and found a VMware knowledge base article. That article says it is an error on the host node. I opened a support ticket with OVH and pointed it out to them. Unfortunately their (incompetent?) support staff have no idea what I am talking about, and kept stating that my VPS is running fine. so I closed the ticket.

• ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited November 2014

Well, can confirm what others said, often reboots and poor network. Except that, all is fine. It applies to both Classic and Cloud though.

• I had two. One couldn't get more than 10 days in a row without a random reboot. The other one was more or less okay. When up, they were both about what you'd expect for the price

I cancelled both

• Alright then, imma avoid these vps'. Thanks guys, could an admin close this thread?

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited November 2014

Worth it for the 10TB @ 100mbps for £2/mo but performance is shitty and they reboot all the time.

@hostnoob and @vladka24

I can offer you the similar specs for the same price.
    512mb // 10gb hdd // 100mbps unmetered // 1 ipv4 DDoS protected // Same datacenter BHS.

Of course, it's will be reliable and will not reboot every week ;)

• @davidgestiondbi thanks for the offer but I have a 2eur online.net server for when I need lots of bandwidth now :)

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • nexmarknexmark Member
    edited November 2014

The I/O on the classic range is 10MB/s,
    You're better off with a kimsufi

• @nexmark they upped it to 32MB/s now I think

• @hostnoob said:
    nexmark they upped it to 32MB/s now I think

Ah, fair enough

• They might be limited in terms of I/O but they're fine for personal play-boxes or to learn. But yes they're definitely not recommended for production use because of the random reboots that happen once a week on average.

• How? Where? Link please.

@hostnoob said:
    davidgestiondbi thanks for the offer but I have a 2eur online.net server for when I need lots of bandwidth now :)

@vladka24 said:
    How? Where? Link please.

He refer to the KiDeChire offer I think, but it's over now.
    http://www.online.net/fr/serveur-dedie/dedibox-kidechire