Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is there no love for Proxmox in the hosting community
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why is there no love for Proxmox in the hosting community

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
edited July 2012 in General

Hi Folks,

Maybe I have my head in the sand or something but after using proxmox for a while (I like it) I cant see why there is not much take up for it by the hosting community as a whole?

There is a WHMCS module, the documentation is great and it just kinda works, also it runs on Debian which is a big +1 for me.

Thoughts, Insults, random comments?

Comments

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@AnthonySmith said: Thoughts, Insults, random comments?

While a few use it inside my KVM to do things, and it works well for them like that. From my own research, at the time it was lacking features that were game stoppers for me, no idea if that is still true today, but Solus has also improved over that time to address all the issues I was vocal about.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@miTiB 1.6 was lacking 2.x seems pretty sharp if anything it offers more than solusvm for back end management, it does not seem to be targeted in any way towards the hosting industry to be fair like solusvm is.

• subigosubigo Member

I've never used it, because there's no way I'm using a panel that's so integrated with the OS. I want to easily remove it if needed, not be married to it.

• PADPAD Member
    edited July 2012

Subigo, if you want you could theoretically install Proxmox on a KVM VM inside KVM. You would get reduced I/O but if you really didn't want to be married to it that would be a work around.

I've said this many times, and even with the changes 2.x brings - I still think it is an enterprise/private suite, not something which is ready or right for commercial usage.

But damn I love it. Its so great.

@subigo you can just install proxmox on top of a base debian install so in theory you could remove it just fine, you don't have to use the proxmox ISO. (To be fair I have never done it that way)

• PatsPats Member

i'm testing Proxmox, i love its simplicity..
    But what i'm not liking it is that its VMUser cannot re-install OS (not implemented)
    And VMUser can see the Datacenter resources - "Node Disk usage/Memory usage/ CPU usage etc." . Feel uncomfortable on that :P

I'm thinking on Testing OVZ Web Panel - http://code.google.com/p/ovz-web-panel/

• I thought Proxmox only has an admin UI?

• PatsPats Member

from v2.0 it has User UI also..

• johnjohn Member
    edited July 2012

Does Proxmox have ebtables support? I thought it didn't.

• It doesn't.

• KeyJeyKeyJey Member

I adore proxmox too, and they have HA implementation since v2.0. Also you can host KVM and OpenVZ VMs in the same box. I wonder the same than you @AnthonySmith .... why ? it's a pretty good and mature project !

Why resurrect a year old post ? :o

• KeyJeyKeyJey Member

Why not ? ;)

Because it is a year old and your comment added no value?

your turn...

• FreekFreek Member

Talk about a blast from the past