Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Dedicated
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for Dedicated

agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Looking to pick up a dedicated server from a reliable host.

CPU isn't crazy important
RAM: 8-16GB
HDD: 2TB(Nothing Smaller)
IPs: /29 is enough
Bandwidth: 5TB++ (More is better)

Location: Preferably either Chicago, NY, Montreal (OVH is Sold Out), Toronto, Or Somewhere East Coast / Central.

Budget $40 or so. Can be a bit more obviously but would like to stay as close to that number as I can.

Comments

• Hudson Valley host has a Intel Atom 2750 for $50 with similar specs.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Yeah I have a server with GVH which is resold from HVH. I asked HVH for a bigger drive, and we are on day 2 of them trying to install it. Server has also been offline for the last 24 hours. HVH also refuses to install Proxmox on their hardware and has yet to even provide me the IPMI details to do it myself. Not a fan.

• agoldenberg said: HVH also refuses to install Proxmox on their hardware and has yet to even provide me the IPMI details to do it myself.

Ask them to install debian, you can install proxmox on top of the debian.

@rds100 The point was I don't quite care for their support. They take far longer than they should all the while I've already paid them. I'd like an alternate provider.

• I have a dedicated server with HVH directly, and support has been top notch. Obviously, when you buy it from a provider that resells HVH there is going to be some time lag.

Nevertheless, good luck with your search.

@PremiumN I spoke straight with Ernie. GVH had no hand in it aside from billing me. It's HVH themselves that are taking 2 days to install a drive and provide me with IPMI details.

• Isn't it like "GVH resells HVH, who resells CC" ?

• @agoldenberg said:
    PremiumN I spoke straight with Ernie. GVH had no hand in it aside from billing me. It's HVH themselves that are taking 2 days to install a drive and provide me with IPMI details.

You have managed or unmanaged service?

• robohostrobohost Member
    edited November 2014

core2duo 4GB DDR2 4 x 2TB HDD $49 https://www.datashack.net/dedicated/

@PremiumN Shouldn't matter. I'm talking about a brand new server setup.

• Delimiter could almost get to this pricing with X5150 bundle. You'll need to upgrade the server to 2x1TB and add the extra IPs

@MarkTurner thanks but no thanks. Your sales guy takes way too long to respond.

• @PremiumN said:
    I have a dedicated server with HVH directly, and support has been top notch. Obviously, when you buy it from a provider that resells HVH there is going to be some time lag.

Nevertheless, good luck with your search.

Same for me, they mostly reply with in minutes.

I've IPMI on 2 of servers which we have from them & others are those whose we haven't asked for IPMI. I also have IPMI on C2758 which i've from GVH so not sure why they're not providing that to you.

They just did. Now I'm waiting for them to mount the proxmox ISO so I can install it. Their IPMI is not OSX friendly at all!

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

Is the location important, could you be interested in a dedi in europe ?

@Ikoula yeah location being central /east coast US/Canada is pretty important. Too much latency to Europe.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Too bad :/
    Thanks for replying !

Have a nice evening

• @agoldenburg I feel your pain! I had a server with GVH. It took 6 replies from gvh aka hvh aka colocrossing to do a simple ipmi reset. Everytime i get a response from gvh aka hvh aka colocrossing that the unit was reset. Which it was never reset. It took a span of about a week to get this accomplished. I left them in the dust due to the fact that gvh aka hvh aka colocrossing can not even simply sign into the ipmi as admin and click on the simple ipmi reset link from a web browser! So @jbiloh or @ernie will care to explain to me the simplest request took a week to resolve.

• DalekOfSkaroDalekOfSkaro Member
    edited November 2014

Well, if your budget was up to $75.00, we'd be able to offer an E3-1240v3 / 16 GB Ram / 2x 1TB or 1x 2TB / 20 TB Bandwidth and a /29 Subnet (ARIN SWIP Available) in Buffalo, NY (Our hardware/ Colocation with ColoCrossing ). IPMI Is of course supported delivered and we can deliver it with Proxmox installed as well.

If you are willing to consider, feel free to send me a PM.

P.S. Only one server is available at this price

• ErnieErnie Patron Provider, Veteran

I cant speak for GVH however the customer approached me via skype. Generally we do not assist resellers customers but I attempted to go above and beyond for this customer. The customer contacted me yesterday at 9:04AM about the upgrade. The request went into CC at 9:20AM yesterday. The upgrade was complete at 11:04AM today and the information was given to the customer at 11:17AM today. The customer then requested a ISO to be attached to IPMI as well which was complete.

• @ernie But why does it take so long for a simple task to get done?

edited November 2014

@aggressivenetworks said:
    ernie But why does it take so long for a simple task to get done?

Generally it doesnt however due to Buffalo receiving 6 feet of snow and the travel bans we were operating on on fewer staff members then normal. The also 2TB drive had to come from the office to the DC which wasnt possible due to the travel bans.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @aggressivenetworks said:
    ernie But why does it take so long for a simple task to get done?

Because I stole Bert

@cassa said:
    Because I stole Bert

lol

• Ernie said: Generally it doesnt however due to Buffalo receiving 6 feet of snow and the travel bans we were operating on on fewer staff members then normal.

Yeah I saw it on TV, what a weather.

• Hi:

I can : Intel Xeon 5520 24GB RAM 1TB HDD : 5TB Bandwith $40.00

@ernie is right. I shouldn't have complained here. He did what he could to help and I appreciate it. I got frustrated due to having to even go to ernie on skype because Jon takes forever to answer. @Ernie is a nice guy and I didn't even factor in the snow. I totally forgot about that. All in all he did what I needed and I understand now why it took the time it did. My apologies to @Ernie and HVH. Good solid guy.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish

@agoldenberg said:
    ernie is right. I shouldn't have complained here. He did what he could to help and I appreciate it. I got frustrated due to having to even go to ernie on skype because Jon takes forever to answer. Ernie is a nice guy and I didn't even factor in the snow. I totally forgot about that. All in all he did what I needed and I understand now why it took the time it did. My apologies to Ernie and HVH. Good solid guy.

Thank you and I totally understand. I am here and willing to help in anyway possible.

• now kith

@dammugly Done and Done!