Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest recurring price for a TLD?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest recurring price for a TLD?

Hi,
which TLD is the cheapest on the market offering low recurring prices without the use of coupons?

I need it for personal use and it will be not public so I don't care which TLD it is. I don't want to use free TLDs.

Thanks.

Comments

• .ovh?

• .ru or .su

• .Com. Get it from godaddy for $1 and transfer to NameSilo and stay there for around $9 with free Whois privacy for life that is Important for a personal domain.

• Pretty sure one or two are free or very close to it.

Are you sure you need a domain since you'll already know what it resolves to and it's for something private? Even if you do, changing your hosts file to point to the IP would save registering anything.

• .info

there are ones for free (.ml, .tk) but I won't recommend those since they have a tendency to take away your domains for no reason...

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • BarisBaris Member
    edited November 2014

@arpanjot said:
    .ovh?

Thank you, price seems very good for the first year and after that time they are still very cheap.

@trexos said:
    .ru or .su

Nice suggestion, thank you! Do you know a cheap registrar? Somebody mentioned ahnames.com @LET for $3,25 (.ru domain).

@TheKiller said:
    .Com. Get it from godaddy for $1 and transfer to NameSilo and stay there for around $9 with free Whois privacy for life that is Important for a personal domain.

Thank you but I don't want to use coupons (see above) because I would depend on them. The normal prices for .com domains are high compared to other TLDs.

@zhuanyi said:
    .info

there are ones for free (.ml, .tk) but I won't recommend those since they have a tendency to take away your domains for no reason...

Do you have a cheap registrar for .info domains? And thank you for warning me, that's why I did not want to use free domains (see above).

@ricardo said:
    Pretty sure one or two are free or very close to it.

Are you sure you need a domain since you'll already know what it resolves to and it's for something private? Even if you do, changing your hosts file to point to the IP would save registering anything.

Editing the host file does the job for 90% of the time but sometimes I would like to access my private things from foreign machines spontanously without looking it up -> luxury :-)

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited November 2014

.co.uk is $6 renewal at namecheap. You can register it for a lower first year price elsewhere and transfer to namcheap after 60 days.

1and1 is even cheaper but their reputation isn't so good.

• @Baris

I use ahnames as well. I only have the domain for a few months, but haven't faced any issue yet

• @Abdussamad said:
    .co.uk is $6 renewal at namecheap. You can register it for a lower first year price elsewhere and transfer to namcheap after 60 days.

1and1 is even cheaper but their reputation isn't so good.

OVH is even cheaper, and they are about the cheapest place to register them as well.

£2.99 a year for .co.uk / .uk

• ben78ben78 Member
    edited November 2014

crazy domains had a pretty good pricing on .info (10 years for around 15 euros) but sounds like it's gone now. (People did say that it was hard to transfert the domain to another registrar though so well, maybe that's not too much of a loss).

Right now seems like .eu .es .be & .it are the cheapest... .ru is cheap too (at ahnames) but you can't renew for several years at once...

(.ovh isn't worth anything imo)

Thanked by 1miguelzabala
  • I bought .ru from ahnames before 1 week It is cheap $3.25 + $0.44 if paid by paypal $3.25 if paid by webmoney

• Baris said: Do you have a cheap registrar for .info domains? And thank you for warning me, that's why I did not want to use free domains (see above).

http://www.domparison.com/domain-name-price-comparison/index.php?ext=info&want=register

Not sure if it is up to date though

• I've found some .nl and .be domains for 3.24 euros:

https://www.secure.versio.nl/domeinnamen

Thanked by 1ben78
  • nice one, shrubbles. Do you know how good is this company?

@Baris, .ro is currently 51,26$+VAT(24%) one time fee. (http://rotld.ro) - yearly payment can start later on though, but so far once you've paid that you're fine..

• .tk is free.

• @ben78 said:
    nice one, shrubbles. Do you know how good is this company?

Baris, .ro is currently 51,26$+VAT(24%) one time fee. (http://rotld.ro) - yearly payment can start later on though, but so far once you've paid that you're fine..

If you don't care about support(helpdesk is mostly dutch with a lack of english skills), lack of dnssec, incomplete whois(at the time i was using it) you should go for Versio. Here in the netherlands they're known for the worst hosting provider(~20% downtime with their shared hosting), no helpdesk responses.

Thanked by 1ben78
  • ben78ben78 Member
    edited November 2014

TheRedFox said: Here in the netherlands they're known for the worst hosting provider(~20% downtime with their shared hosting), no helpdesk responses.

Ok, thanks for letting me know! I think I'll pass... :)

Shared hosting prices is quite interesting though...

• .info is cheap at many registrars

• jcaleb said: .info is cheap at many registrars

Did you find cheap ones for renewal also? Usually first year is cheap then...

• shrubblesshrubbles Member
    edited November 2014

@ben78, I've never tried this company, I'm planning to buy a .be with them. @TheRedFox Could you recommend some other cheap .nl or .be registrars ?

• Namecheap has (dot)pw on special for $3.98 and then $8.88 for each year after it.

• TheKiller said: and stay there for around $9 with free Whois privacy for life

That $9 is "per year" for life, right? :-)

• @BeardyUnixGuy good to see someone like .pw ;)

• .asia you can purchase from us we do provide free privacy protection.

• Oh, and there is the romanian domain (.ro) which seems to be one time payment for life....

• nitro85nitro85 Member
    edited November 2014

If its for private use, why not a free TLD?
    I've been using a .tk for 3 years and works pretty well all the time

http://www.freenom.com/en/index.html

.cf/.ga/.gq/.ml/.tk are all free

You just have to renew the domain for free in the panel every year, if you want to keep it

• @nitro85 said:
    If its for private use, why not a free TLD?
    I've been using a .tk for 3 years and works pretty well all the time

My .tk domain was removed from my panel after it was mentioned on reddit, 4chan, etc. Support refuses to respond. Domain to this day displays ads.

• There ain't free things in real life. I prefer to pay some bucks and not have my domain stolen from these domain swindlers.

• nitro85nitro85 Member
    edited November 2014

@4n0nx said:
    My .tk domain was removed from my panel after it was mentioned on reddit, 4chan, etc. Support refuses to respond. Domain to this day displays ads.

.tk used to do that like 4 years ago but now these 5 domains are owned by a new company called freenom, suported by investors, and they dont do any stuff of that and dont put any ads like the old owner of .tk did some years ago

But he's actually saying that's for private use