Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anybody with ChicagoVPS also experience high latency and unresponsiveness?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anybody with ChicagoVPS also experience high latency and unresponsiveness?

ILikeServersILikeServers Member
edited November 2014 in Providers

Hi all! First post here ...

I was recently offered a "promotional price" with ChicagoVPS, in order to get me to rent a server with them again (after switching to DigitalOcean). They offered me a 4GB RAM OpenVZ server, for only $6/month. Sound too good to be true right? Well, it seems it is.

After only a couple of days using the server, I started to experience horrible lag over SSH, sometimes not even being able to log in at all (connection refused, connection timed out etc.) I tried restarting the server via their web control panel, but even the control panel software couldn't connect to the server most of the time!

I opened multiple support tickets (each one ended with the problem apparently "resolved" but only for half an hour or so). They told me they were experiencing network problems on my node, or some other un-named issues. I'm starting to think their only real issue is chronic overselling.

Anybody else with ChicagoVPS and having similar problems? The last time I was with them they were actually decent, but now they just seem greedy, and willing to oversell horribly to make extra money.

EDIT: I just got a response from their support team now: "Your server does respond to SSH". Yeah, it does - after 20 seconds of waiting, and then 5 second delays between each command. Didn't you read what I said?! Sick of support staff that are barely qualified.

Thanked by 12bluesc

Comments

• Is cvps connected to colocrossing ? My buffalo vps 1gbit connection is terrible. Ssh in my box is impossible to work with too but that's the provider overselling.

I need a vps that would be fast for European users, lost customers due to their network

• Hey, are you in the LA data center?

My server has two IPs (192.210.217.xxx and 192.210.218.xxx). The first one is the primary IP and all outgoing traffic never gets a reply according to tcpdump. The second works and allows me to login via SSH.

Remotely pinging the first/problem one results in:

92 bytes from acka-5.r11.snjsca04.us.bb.gin.ntt.net (129.250.7.59): Destination Net Unreachable
    Vr HL TOS  Len   ID Flg  off TTL Pro  cks      Src      Dst
     4  5  00 5400 fa9a   0 0000  3a  01 2ca3 192.168.254.9  192.210.217.xxx

I bet your slow performance is the result of a DNS query timing out across the broken routes I'm seeing. Have you tried changing your DNS servers?

I've opened a ticket and no response yet. It has been messed up for at least 3 hours now. I know it's a budget VPS, but jeez. :(

• @2bluesc said:
    Hey, are you in the LA data center?

Yes I am. Admittedly, there are a fair few hops (19, with the last 10 all 200ms+) to get to the server from where I am (Australia), but I have never experienced lag this bad with any other provider.

I'm not currently using a domain to access the server, just directly via IP, and I have never used the server as a nameserver, or ChicagoVPS as a nameserver either.

• lol

• My VPS just sprang back to life a few minutes ago.

• @bashed said:
    Is cvps connected to colocrossing ?

Yes, I believe it is.

• @2bluesc said:
    My VPS just sprang back to life a few minutes ago.

Yeah mine does that on occasion. That's where the hundred other people on the same oversold node as you have a break from using their servers ;)

• WeblogicsWeblogics Member
    edited November 2014

For those who are experiencing slow SSH, especially during log on, there is an easy fix regardless of provider.

Add to /etc/ssh/sshd_config

UseDNS no

Restart SSH server then log back in.

Thanked by 2bashed Spirit
  • CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@Ilikeservers, please PM me the ticket ID so I can look into your server.

Thanks

Chris

Thanked by 1ILikeServers
  • @Weblogics said:
    For those who are experiencing slow SSH, especially during log on, there is an easy fix regardless of provider.

Add to /etc/ssh/sshd_config

UseDNS no

Restart SSH server then log back in.

I might look into trying that.

• edited November 2014

If you're looking for chicago give me a ping in private I've got openVZ plans on hdd.

P.S. But why would you leave Digital Ocean given the reviews of the company you are with are bad.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@VPSRAIDSolutions said:
    If you're looking for chicago give me a ping in private I've got openVZ plans on hdd.

I thought you posted a thread saying you were closing?

• @trewq said:
    I thought you posted a thread saying you were closing?

If you read closely ( I said im limiting myself to private clients. I've got space on that. ) btw should get rid of this name I'lll ask @mpkossen to do it for me.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited November 2014

Edit: This was a paragraph of questions and they have all been answered in private with more than satisfactory reasons for his actions.

These questions were removed on his request as to not start any "drama". I complied in good will.

• @trewq said:

Lets take this private.

• For $1/mo more you can get 6GB RAM with VPSDime, and VPSDime is actually a reputable company that knows what they're doing.

Thanked by 2rm_ MannDude
  • @hostnoob 1$? Are they running any promotion?

• @arpanjot said:
    hostnoob 1$? Are they running any promotion?

$1/mo more, as in $7 instead of the $6 OP is paying

Thanked by 2arpanjot netomx
  • @hostnoob said:
    For $1/mo more you can get 6GB RAM with VPSDime, and VPSDime is actually a reputable company that knows what they're doing.

Wow. Just checked them out. Cheapest I've ever seen. At the moment I'm getting my ChicagoVPS server transferred to a different node. Hopefully that will resolve the problems. If not, I'll definitely check out VPSDime.

• Okay,I missed the "more" part.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • VPSDime's TOS is quite ... specific. I wonder why they have so many restrictions?

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

ILikeServers said: I wonder why they have so many restrictions?

To create a better experience for all users on their nodes.

• @ILikeServers said:
    VPSDime's TOS is quite ... specific. I wonder why they have so many restrictions?

Their tos just covers the major high load causing applications. Be a nice neighbor and I'm sure you'll be happy there.

• @PcJamesy said:
    Their tos just covers the major high load causing applications. Be a nice neighbor and I'm sure you'll be happy there.

Yeah, but the reason people hire VPS's is so they don't have to run high load apps on their own hardware or network connection. Not letting people use them on rented servers defeats the point of so much RAM.

• ILikeServers said: the reason people hire VPS's is so they don't have to run high load apps on their own hardware or network connection.

I don't see VPSDime's TOS as being too restrictive. *coins, Minecraft, Hitleap, Liuwhateverthegoddamnhellthatis -- the resource hogs that bring down nodes when they go bad.

Teamspeak, Camfrog, so on and so forth, DDoS targets.

Most providers have the same restrictions, just not enumerated; if you end up getting hit because of one of the above, you'd be kicked off under whatever provision lets them basically do what they want.

• @ihatetonyy said:
    Most providers have the same restrictions, just not enumerated; if you end up getting hit because of one of the above, you'd be kicked off under whatever provision lets them basically do what they want.

I'd rather be with a provider who simply said: "If you experience extreme DDoSing or are a magnet for attacks, we will work out a solution with you, that may involve terminating your account".

Not all Teamspeak or Minecraft servers will be problems, in fact, very few will.

• Lots of problems with ChicagoVPS lately. More details to come.

• @VPSRAIDSolutions said:

If you're no longer running your business, you're not permitted to make offers like this anymore, as per forum rules.

Thanked by 3netomx Mark_R ATHK
  • Same issue, same plan, I used them before and they were pretty decent. I guess things change lol