Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What I will use VPS or Shared hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hello,

I want create WordPress site

If VPS what is the better company for that? and what Ram will be enough?

If Shared hosting. what is the better company for that?

price less than $15

Thanks.

Comments

• I'm guessing your Wordpress site is new. You would need shared hosting and as your Wordpress gets bigger as in more visitors, you will need to move to a VPS company. If you have the money, you can start off using a VPS so you don't have to go through the hassle of transferring your data.

Thanked by 2TheKiller aaxaa
  • hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited November 2014

Get the cheapest Ramnode plan, the $15/yr 128MB plan will be enough while the site is new.

You will need to go with shared hosting if you don't know how to manage a VPS though. I know @mikho and @buyvm offer shared hosting I think

Thanked by 1aaxaa
  • We offer cheap, RAID Protected, DDoS Protected cPanel hosting @ 6$ A year
    check out our offer posted on WHT here http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1429193

Thanked by 1aaxaa
  • TheKillerTheKiller Member
    edited November 2014

Yep siteground.com would be best for shared hosting.
    http://www.siteground.com/recommended?referrer_id=6954291

• BuyShared (from BuyVM) if your site is new and does not require much resources. They offer $5/year shared hosting with SSD, dedicated IPv4, cloudlinux, litespeed and some other perks.

• If you're looking for a monthly/yearly, check our latest LEB posting.

• 256MB - $10Yr
    • 1024MB - $21Yr
    • 2048MB - $7Mo

http://lowendbox.com/blog/tragicservers-256mb-for-10year-1gb-for-21year-and-more-in-dallas-and-la/

• You should first think about how you are familiar with Linux.

• I will use VPS but I have question
    if I used VPS I will able to build more than one WordPress?

example:

site1.com
    site 2.com

in the same VPS.

Thanks for all.

• Yeah, you can do that easily enough.

• You should likely look into some form of higher ram VPS, like 512mb and above. You can get them fairly cheap and some very reliable one. What is your price range per month that you'd like to stick to?

• I would go with a 512MB or 1GB ram VPS, and then use an automated installer like EasyEngine to setup an optimized WP install: https://rtcamp.com/easyengine/

Just need to copy/paste a few lines and you can easily setup multiple sites that will run great and load really fast.

Thanked by 1aaxaa
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

You can do more then one site with shared hosting aswell.
    The advantage with shared hosting compared to a vps is that the server management is done by someone else.

The upside of vps compared with shared hosting is that you can adjust settings for your needs.

My cheapest plan is $3/year in either US or NL.

• If you are not pro in linux then go for Shared hosting but remember to select a professional company and If you love linux and know how to work on it then go for a VPS.

• I guess it depends what your goal is.

If it's setting up a new site, writting content then go for shared hosting.
    If it's learning new skils, and using GNU/Linux and setting up/maintaining a small webserver is part of that, then go for a VPS.

If you go for a shared hosting account (where you can have multiple sites/domains as well) then you'll be able to move to a VPS later on... with shared hosting you can focus on what matters: your code & content...

• turnkeyintenetturnkeyintenet Member, Host Rep

unless you can administer a vps and install wordpress yourself (and MySQL and more) - go with the cPanel shared hosting (to stay below your budget too). VPS makes sense once you have a lot of traffic as wordpress is very resource intensive, so if it gets popular your shared host may not perform well (or worse, throw you off if you get lots and lots of wordpress traffic)

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited November 2014

Offtopic: I got a question to providers that offer 3-6 usd a year hosting - how you handle the support, shared hosting customers usually expect that?

on my ~3 Euro a month service I got some awful issues - 8 hours spend (20+ tickets exchanged) in supporting a customer who changed his mail password and his outlook client is receiving mail but not sending... He was convinced that everything is ok with his outlook that he got 8 others emails added from other hosts that send and receive not willing to change any settings not accepting explanations how email clients works... close to 8 hour operator finally convinced him to create another email on our hosting add it to outlook and to see that he can send from other email

Another customer is want to update his drupal after he follow some security tutorial which tells him make some of his files with 555 permissions he was convinced that he can upgrade without changing any permissions on his hostgator hosting not willing to change it even for the update continue to send tickets

All this issues make me to want to show this customers the door refund them and stop offering ~3 Euro service cause on that price they lost many more paid hours (most of the issues are with low paying customers)

• For WordPress or Drupal it is recommended to use a VPS.

• turnkeyintenetturnkeyintenet Member, Host Rep

@coolice: I suspect many use 'reseller' hosting accounts, that bundle in end-user support for them. I.e. they pass it on, and just are middle-men in the process. But every host has to start at some point, and with some niche/differntiator (some choose price like $6/year to attract their first clients) so its possible they will provide good support/service as they grow it. But i've seen far too often they just purchase 'reseller' hosting, and go on auto pilot until they forget to pay their reseller hosting bill, and it all goes poof over night w/o warnings for people doing those price points.

Thanked by 2vRozenSch00n coolice
  • hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited November 2014

@coolice said:
    stuff

Don't offer ridiculous levels of support. Support the hardware, network and node config, and leave everything else to the user.

"My site is offline/dropping pings" -> fix
    "How do I make my website text purple?" -> GTFO

You could always offer a "semi-managed" extra on the order page, and charge users a few euros/mo extra for things like installing 3rd party scripts for them.

Thanked by 1coolice
  • coolice said: how you handle the support, shared hosting customers usually expect that?

The problem is you are dealing with local domestic customers, which are usually too lazy to do anything themselves and too spoiled by their previous hosting companies. Another problem is the price point - usually only the dumbest users buy the cheapest plans and then have unreasonable expectations.

Thanked by 2coolice vRozenSch00n
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

If you want to offer wordpress hosting then you need a good control panel lice cPanel but If you don't want to give a access to control panel then you can use other control panel.

You need a Control Panel Software, Maximum 2 Dedicated IP Address, VPS and Backup Server but you also need to learn how you will protect your VPS.

Since you are starting your new business so If possible then provide technical support and you can charge money for helping your customer in theme customization which is Much more profitable then hosting plans. lol.

I offer shared hosting at 3-5 usd /year and by asking the right questions you can usually help the customer in a few ticket replies.

my current venture in the shared hosting business has been going on for a year now (yeah, me!) and I have yet to experience what @coolice has.

Thanked by 1coolice
  • depend of vps resurses you can add more webistes , if the resurses is low ...

• @MikHo said:
    I offer shared hosting at 3-5 usd /year and by asking the right questions you can usually help the customer in a few ticket replies.

my current venture in the shared hosting business has been going on for a year now (yeah, me!) and I have yet to experience what coolice has.

Hope you to not have many customers like thats I mentioned...

My university degree is in economics and my simple point of view that company must profit from its customers to be able to offer more good services to them (if offer such at first place)

If you have $3 yearly customer which drag you in support nightmare which lasting hours it's a direct loss and you need to keep that customer for years without issues to generate you profit...

If you attract more customers that not generate you profit and they become a majority from one moment it will become cheaper to get you servers back from DC throw them in the near by river...

Wish luck to everyone that responded and thank you all

@coolice said:
    Hope you to not have many customers like thats I mentioned

So far not a single one that fits your description.

• @aaxaa - If US location fine for you,can try BuyVM 1G shared hosting offer $5 yearly with dedicated IP (if this offer still exist)

• For starters, shared hosting would be enough and you can just upgrade to VPS when your site gets more traffic :)

• @HostAxa said:
    For starters, shared hosting would be enough and you can just upgrade to VPS when your site gets more traffic :)

Thanks for all

I bought shared hosting.

• aaxaa said: Thanks for all

I bought shared hosting.

Enjoy :) Good luck with this new project!

Thanked by 1aaxaa
  • @aaxaa Which provider did you pick?