Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a nice little UK VPS for remote desktop
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a nice little UK VPS for remote desktop

Hello folks,

I have a nicely performing VPS with WLS that I use for virtual desktop, but it's specs are somewhat overkill for what I need so before comes up for renewal at the end of the month I'm looking to see what else is around.

In terms of specs I want:

1GB RAM
20GB HDD (SSD not necessary)
100Mb bandwidth (1Gb preferred)
500GB data transfer
2 or more cores with the understanding that I can use the cores to full capacity for approximately 15-30 minutes at a time, once or twice a day.
UK location, as close to London as possible.

In terms of price, I'm paying $38/year at present, so I'd be looking for something around that price point ideally. Happy to pay yearly for a better deal if the provider is reputable and has been around for a while.

Both offers from providers and recommendations from buyers are most welcome. Cheers!

Comments

• Cheers Jack.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2014

Not long ago InceptionHosting had a promo for £5/month on a 1GB Ram Xen in Maidenhead(?).
    Not sure if it is still available.

I run a windows 2012R2 installation there and its performing as I expect.

• AnthonySmith said: PM'ed a bribe

About time I started getting a cut of the action...

• nitro85nitro85 Member
    edited November 2014

Runabove.com (OVH)

The cheapest option is 2.50$ month, 20 Gb space, 2 Gb ram, 1 core

• @nitro85 said:
    Runabove.com (OVH)

The cheapest option is 2.50$ month, 20 Gb space, 2 Gb ram, 1 core

I didnt know they had UK location.

• @creep said:

Their Gravelines DC is so close to UK that it hardly makes any significant impact in terms of ping.

• creep said: I didnt know they had UK location.

I can't see any evidence that they do.

• nitro85nitro85 Member
    edited November 2014

@creep said:

Almost the same thing in terms of location, you wont notice the difference

• K2Bytes said: Their Gravelines DC is so close to UK that it hardly makes any significant impact in terms of ping.

Still going to be a French geolocated IP.

• You should go @Onepound they provide a perfect service

Thanked by 1onepound
  • Purely from the perspective of not wanting to have all my eggs in one basket, I already have a lot of stuff over at OVH and don't want anymore. In fact, my contingency virtual desktop is located on an older Kimsufi in Gravelines, so would like something elsewhere.
    A UK IP is also a must otherwise I'll need another small server for VPN, which I'd prefer to avoid.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

K2Bytes said: Their Gravelines DC

RunAbove is not available at Gravelines, the choice currently is Strasbourg or BHS (don't ask me to spell that).

• I can help you out @Nekki I have 2 kimsufi servers with i3 processors in them, both running proxmox, and I was going to use them for myself but I would be happy to let you have vm's on it too. Please do pm me if you are interested in this offer, as I can tell you I really wouldn't be charging you anything due to well the 2 servers themselves don't cost but about $14.99euro converted to usd $18 and something so it really isn't that expensive every month, plus if I ever do charge you for the vm's it wouldn't be much but to help cover the costs of the servers.

• @Nekki I'll host you on my Raspberry Pi if you'd like. I have it running anyway, so I wouldn't need to charge you. If I ever do charge you it'll only be to cover the costs I pay to my mother for electricity etc.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • frankfrank Member
    edited November 2014

@Jack said:
    Still 8ms more than it would be if it were in the UK.
    That's like saying I can use a server in Germany as I get 20ms to it.

Its more than that based on the few tests I have done.

OVH SBG is always over 20ms extra compared to 'London' based servers. Its important to note that Online.net though is only 5-10ms extra in speed, which is an acceptable difference considering the price difference between UK servers and Online.net's prices.

On that note if you have any of the 2 Euro boxes doing anything they are good at the task required, but better off going with onepoundhost otherwise, I have had one of there servers for personal use for a while now and its been one of the best personal servers I have.

Thanked by 1onepound
  • @timnboys I appreciate the offer, but I do need to be (geo-located at the very least) in the UK.

@kcaj Again, much appreciated and a very kind offer, but I have a couple of spare Pi's knocking about so I could actually do that myself, now you've mentioned it. I'm also not sure a Pi has the processing power behind it.

• frank said: On that note if you have any of the 2 Euro boxes doing anything they are good at the task required,

I do have one of the €2 boxes at Online.net and I found it slightly too slow for my purposes - the CPUs in them are a little dinky.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited November 2014

If you're happy with WLS, what about their newer offers?

1GB RAM/30GB HDD/1TB BW for $19/year:
    https://core.weloveservers.net/cart.php?a=add&pid=64

Or 512MB RAM/20GB HDD/750GB BW for $12/year
    https://core.weloveservers.net/cart.php?a=add&pid=190

I use the first one for a VPN and it's been quite solid (though I would have grabbed the second if it had been available in the UK when I ordered).

• Also @Nekki I can let you use my via nano u2250 dedi from oneprovider, as I was trying to run kvm on it but it failed, so I was trying to use it to get kvm developers what they asked for in how to make it run, but anyway it is located in paris, france, I already paid for it for 6 months, so please pm me and I will give you my root, etc. details in a pm I prefer not to have it up in the open here if you know what I mean.
    and I would prefer you to pm me if you want to take me up on this offer, as I don't want my server details out in the open.

• timnboys said: Also @Nekki I can let you use my via nano u2250 dedi from oneprovider,

Thanks fella, but I have one of those idling myself; it doesn't quite have the horsepower I need on the desktop.

Once again, many thanks for the kind offer.

• OK, I'm all sorted for a new container, thanks all.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Nekki said:
    OK, I'm all sorted for a new container, thanks all.

Who did you decide to use?

• @Nekki said:
    OK, I'm all sorted for a new container, thanks all.

Someone should flag so the mods know that OP got his requested VPS.

Thanked by 1user123
  • @Pwner said:

The mod knows that ;)

• @aus said:
    The mod knows that ;)

That was the joke...

• @MikHo said:
    Who did you decide to use?

InceptionHosting and I've got a custom deal from a non-LE* host who I believe wishes to remain nameless.

Thanked by 1mikho
  • How much can I bribe you so you'll name this host? Name your price.