Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10TB+ Storage: Backup to the Clouds
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

10TB+ Storage: Backup to the Clouds

Need a better/faster backup than Backblaze where I can backup my files and my NFS mounted files are not able to be backed up via normal Backup Software clients.

Many years, many files, I'm a Digital Horder, don't hate.

Requirements:
1. 10TB Space
2. CPU/RAM: 1/256mb
3. Static IP: Yes
4. Network Speed: 100mb
5. Price: Under $10/mo

I'd like to have:

1. Encrypted File System Support
  2. Linux OS

What it will not be used for:

1. Seedbox
  2. FTP share
  3. Private File share

Comments

• TBH its impossible mate.

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited November 2014

10TB of disk space is expensive, you'd be better off getting external hard drives and backing up to them.

• Calculate USD 10-15 per 1 TB and it gets more realistic, I fear...

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • @VPSRAIDSolutions said:
    TBH its impossible mate.

Nothing is impossible. Only Expensive.

@Pwner said:
    10TB of disk space is expensive, you'd be better off getting external hard drives and backing up to them.

I do an offline backup already to a friends house once a month as well as backblaze. I want something in the cloud.

@Amitz said:
    Calculate USD 10-15 per 1 TB and it gets more realistic, I fear...

Google offers this service for $100/month. I know there is a service out there like Google that doesn't throttle my bandwidth like the rest of the providers out there do.

Remember once the backup is complete this goes to cold storage as very little changes over time.

• @Churchill I meant

Requirements: 1. 10TB Space 2. CPU/RAM: 1/256mb 3. Static IP: Yes 4. Network Speed: 100mb 5. Price: Under $10/mo

Impossible.

• @Churchill said:
    Google offers this service for $100/month. I know there is a service out there like Google that doesn't throttle my bandwidth like the rest of the providers out there do.

Keep in mind Google also has many subsidized services that still generate a lot of money through the ad revenue. Google also offers Gigabit Internet Service for $80 a month, meanwhile getting 100Mbps costs an arm and a leg here in California for the Service Provider to pull the fiber cables to your office.

• @VPSRAIDSolutions said:
    Churchill I meant

Impossible.

Alternative solutions are always welcome. Prices are negotiable. Questions, comments, and concerns are always valid.

• Just get gapps for business, costs 50$ for unlimited space.

• What about https://hubic.com?

Thanked by 1doughnet
  • Current price of a cheap 4tb hard drive is ~169 non enterprise. You would need 6 so around. 1020$. That is just for hard drives in a simple raid 10. All in all 120$ per year will not satisfy the 1020$ bill for the drives alone. Power and network on top of that and you have an impossible price point.

Thanked by 2Lm85H4gFkh3wk3 Cakey
  • @tr1cky said:
    Just get gapps for business, costs 50$ for unlimited space.

Good call on that. I could do that.

@Amitz said:
    What about https://hubic.com?

I've done some searching on this site and I've read good and bad things about them. Do they support backing up from NFS mounts or from USB drives? Are they picky about that type of connection like other sites? Do they throttle?

I need to know more about them from others but, yes I have looked at them, and they are on my list.

• There are quite a lot of discussions here about hubic. The search function is unfortunately broken, but you could use

site:lowendtalk.com hubic

while using google and you will find many threads.

• @churchill, Crashplan offers unlimited backups, Take their family plan.

• hubic offers 10tb for $10/month

• Kimsufi cheapo box running windows with MS OneDrive and unlimited storage from office 365?

• @tr1cky said:
    Just get gapps for business, costs 50$ for unlimited space.

$50 per month. 5 users. If shared, only $10 per month for unlimited space.

I think Office 365 also just announce they will give unlimited OneDrive space as well.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2014

said: Requirements: 1. 10TB Space 5. Price: Under $10/mo

1. hubiC (and even then it's 10 EUR, ~$12.5)
    2. none
    3. none

Churchill said: costs 50$ for unlimited space.

abat said: unlimited storage from office 365?

Oh and don't trust "unlimited". Not even from Google and Microsoft, let alone any lesser-known companies.

darknessends said: Crashplan offers unlimited backups

OP said:

said: Need a better/faster backup than Backblaze

I really doubt Crashplan will be better or faster. I was uploading 2.5 TB of data to Crashplan, it was using progressively more and more CPU, at the end it was 100% CPU of a 3 GHz core, while uploading at merely 2 Mbits or so. Apparently when uploading each new tiny piece of data it needs to check its checksum against the list of already uploaded pieces' checksums, that's how their deduplication works (and you can't disable it, can only set to "minimal", whatever that means, but it doesn't help). And when you have several TBs there, that list gets huge and slows down the whole upload and bogs down the CPU. Doesn't help that the whole thing is written in Java either.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

"Unlimited" doesn't mean they will let OP use 10 TB of storage while paying $10.

@Churchill: hard disks aren't free, you are not going to get this.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Nothing wrong with unlimited except that people ignore policies and confuse unlimited with infinite. Infinite storage does not exist, unlimited just means no defined limits within the outlined policies.

• Churchill said: Prices are
    rm_ said: I really doubt Crashplan will be better or faster.

CrashPlan sucks bigtime when it comes to frontend. CrahPlan's backend is solid and speeds are really good.

And yes, let me repeat its client sucks sucks sucks!

• Churchill said: Nothing is impossible. Only Expensive.

That's what. You either up your price or it's impossible unless you decide not to choose a VPS or dedicated. Your only options are like CrashPlan or BackBlaze.

(I can say that because I am looking for sth similar, only that my storage requirements are a lot lesser than yours. I just want 1-2TB and a decent - not too much - RAM and CPU with good speed - pretty much a low usage system).

Also check Amazon Glacier.

• edited November 2014

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the xenstorage 500g plan at https://drserver.net/drbill/index.php?/cart/ Just order two of them and backup half your stuff to one and half to the other.

edited November 2014

Churchill said: Requirements: 10TB Space

StartledPhoenix said: I'm surprised no one has mentioned the xenstorage 500g plan

Really, are you?

• @StartledPhoenix said:
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the xenstorage 500g plan at https://drserver.net/drbill/index.php?/cart/ Just order two of them and backup half your stuff to one and half to the other.

And where does he put the other 9 TB? ;-)

• edited November 2014

@rm_ said:
    Really, are you?

Fixed, was responding to @Devil

• @StartledPhoenix said:

Thanks but I would rather have a just one 1TB server as that would cut some hassles.

And I have actually PMed @drserver and received a prompt and proper response. I've mailed them back as they had asked for required specs. I guess I'll go with them as they said they can manage something custom as per my needs which would awesome. Also I've been hearing rave reviews about them. So as of now my options seem to be VPSDime or drserver and I am hoping for a good quote from them. The point is an archiving server needs minimum amount of CPU and RAM and if a VPS has even half decent amount of these the price would shoot up, now it depends upon whether some provider is willing to tailor a VPS suited for such customers (like me and OP and I am sure we are not the only one). Also VPSDime and drserver seem to be quite famous and reliable here.

• Amitz said: And where does he put the other 9 TB? ;-)

18 more! :D

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • VPSDime storage plan has been working pretty well for me:

uptime

07:50:39 up 135 days, 1:46, 10 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00