Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH SBG->FRA overload
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH SBG->FRA overload

rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
edited November 2014 in General

Soooo if you have ping spikes during weekends and now even during the week, to your server at OVH Gravelines, or elsewhere at OVH,

it could very well be because of this:

and you should know that apparently they are "fixing it"

however this has been a problem for around 10 days now, the "fixing" tweet was 2 days ago, and at this moment there's still no ticket about this issue at their http://status.ovh.net/

Thanked by 1Admiral_Awesome

Comments

• Wow. Thanks for the heads-up. I was wondering why I had 80% packet loss to my OVH server... now I know.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Oles fully denied the problem when it was first reported. He has deleted those tweets since.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

how does the picture look with TCP rather than ICMP?

• @Nyr said:
    Oles fully denied the problem when it was first reported. He has deleted those tweets since.

Octave and his brainfarted mind are the reason why I never really like(d) OVH, to be honest...

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited November 2014

Hello sir,

Welcome to help desk. Please try again now, problem should be resolved.

Looking forward to serve you better,

Ahmed (US Helpdesk Support)

Thanked by 2ihatetonyy netomx
  • @Jack - looks like Smokeping

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2014

AnthonySmith said: how does the picture look with TCP rather than ICMP?

For me UDP-IPv4 does not seem to be affected. Did not check TCP. I think they load-balance based on source/target IP, and maybe protocol and port number, and only some of the balanced links get overloaded.
    Also IPv6 is not affected either, as it takes a different, uncongested route for me.
    But then for some people it's not just ICMP, I saw reports of issues with game servers (CS), etc. The guy in the twitter conversation "lost 80% of our clients" (wondering about that), so not just ICMP too.

Jack said: what are you using for latency monitoring therE?

Yes it is Smokeping.

• http://travaux.ovh.net/?do=details&id=12003

related?

btw. It seems servers in RBX are not affected

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

That looks more like a routing and load balancing issue than a real link saturation.
    But, this is to be expected, one of the things OVH does is to give tons of traffic for pennies, it is only a matter of time before people start using it, especially when the customers are from the low end side of the spectrum with 3 Eur a month dedis and seedboxes are allowed, more or less.

• And that kids, is why you shouldn't use OVH for serious businesses. The day something seriously shitty happens will come for sure :)

• I guess it's time for OVH to invest in some 100G gear. Balancing over Nx10G lines will always have it's challenges, especially when you also sell 10G servers, so a single server blasting a single 10G stream to one destination would be able to saturate one of the links in the bundle.

• @rds100 said:
    I guess it's time for OVH to invest in some 100G gear. Balancing over Nx10G lines will always have it's challenges, especially when you also sell 10G servers, so a single server blasting a single 10G stream to one destination would be able to saturate one of the links in the bundle.

Shaw Communications / Shaw Cable already has 100Gbit gear all over the place, I'm rather surprised that OVH doesn't considering I'd think with all the DDoS they output, they would be moving somewhere near the amount of traffic that Shaw is at this point.

• Yeah, much smaller carriers are adding 100G DWDM gear to their fiber network now.

And not only that. I don't know what fiber routes are available, but routing from Strasbourg to Milan via Frankfurt seems just wrong. Oles should start thinking about improving their network topology.

• rds100 said: And not only that. I don't know what fiber routes are available, but routing from Strasbourg to Milan via Frankfurt seems just wrong. Oles should start thinking about improving their network topology.

He hasn't got the time between tweeting and making Vines.

• @rds100 said:
    Oles should start thinking about improving their network topology.

Or taking geography classes ;)

• ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited November 2014

As specified at http://travaux.ovh.net/?do=details&id=12003 it's not a uplink saturation. OVH has a lot of free bandwidth. It's something else. At last message they said, that it's a problem at their switches in Frankfurt.

BTW, how do you get that exact picture?

• @Profforg said:

BTW, how do you get that exact picture?

Menu on left, http://weathermap.ovh.net/

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Profforg said: it's not a uplink saturation

Sure not uplink -- but OVH's own link between their DCs. And since on the map it clearly says utilization 86%, what switch issue?

• rds100 said: I guess it's time for OVH to invest in some 100G gear.

OVH has already an 5x 100G DWDM ring around europe.

• fileMEDIA said: OVH has already an 5x 100G DWDM ring around europe.

Interesting. I wonder what they use it for then, as what is shown on the pictures above obviously looks like 8x10G interfaces bundled / load balanced.

• fileMEDIAfileMEDIA Member
    edited November 2014

The ring isn't deployed in all data centers. SBG looks like is not finished yet. Migration to 100G coherent is currently in process what their website said.

edit:// Some pictures of it:

• @fileMEDIA this looks like a ring to form a L2 network between the datacenters. not internet backbone stuff. The Nexus is a datacenter switch platform.

• fileMEDIAfileMEDIA Member
    edited November 2014

No, OVH using most of the time (RBX,..) Nexus 7 and ASR in each data center for uplinks. Nexus 7 is for 10G link aggregation and ASR for routing. ASR do not have so much 10G uplinks and do not support unified fabric. And then the links will be multiplexed on the Infinera 100G DWDM equipment which you see on the twitter pictures. They using Infinera to connect the POPs and data centers: https://www.infinera.com/products/DTN-X.html