Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NFS Storage Pooling/Clustering
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NFS Storage Pooling/Clustering

So say I had a few identical storage servers (not physically close) and I would like to pool the resources on each server together and have another server see it as a pool of storage. The protocol used have to be as efficient as NFS (supports random r/w and non-blocking I/O) and somewhat flexible in future expansion of storage.

Is there any solution exist for what I described?

Comments

• glsuterfs

Thanked by 1Caveman122
  • Ceph?

Thanked by 1Caveman122
  • @rajprakash said:
    glsuterfs

Awesome! Any personal experience with it? How's fault tolerance for glsuterfs? (a member goes offline, network distribution etc.)

• It seems both glusterfs and ceph are acquired by Red Hat. I will try glusterfs and its distributed volume first, seems like exactly what I need.

• It's like doing raid1. Should be working fine but expect some small problems if you are not familiar with it.

• Gluster is fine, but you really need predictable network conditions.

Are these servers all in the same datacentre? If not I wouldn't contemplate Gluster or Ceph. You'll end up with continual storage splits.

• @MarkTurner said:

Same DC, solid network and uptime but no RAID on individual nodes, it's expected and ok to lose some files but not ok if the entire cluster is corrupted/lost due to 1 node. What's your thought on distributed glusterfs volume for this type of situation?

• What is the latency between machines?

Gluster is /ok/ and you can get up replication to avoid dataloss. Last year I built a 16 node gluster cluster, performance was nothing special, simulated network issues caused disruption.

But for large scale distributed applications where everything is setup on a low/no latency network (read infiniband, etc) you get better reliability and for heavily distributed applications where you have enough nodes you can get better performance than to a single node but every application is different.

Its easy enough to setup so give it a go, but break it and learn how to put it back together before you trust it with data.

Thanked by 1Caveman122
  • True, the ping is less than 0.5ms but not infinband, DC internal is capped at 100mbps. It's a small cluster with just a few nodes, I am interested in an easy way to expend capacity while keeping my applications sort of oblivion to the file system changes besides capacity.

• 0.5ms is ok - but 100Mbps port is going to be painful.

What is the server-to-server performance in Mbps?

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2014

Here's an interesting one -- https://github.com/rozofs/rozofs

Uses erasure coding instead of replication to provide fault tolerance without requiring (N)x of storage space.

• @MarkTurner said:
    0.5ms is ok - but 100Mbps port is going to be painful.

What is the server-to-server performance in Mbps?

Consistently 100Mbps sustained it seems. Thanks for the answers by the way.

• Try it - maximum theoretical performance is 100Mbps (12.5MB/s) more likely going to be 8MB/s. You may need to tweak Gluster's timeouts and keep a close eye on local latency but for cheap storage it maybe good, but still think it will be cheaper to upgrade your server to add second disk.

Thanked by 1Caveman122