Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best connected ISPs around the world
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best connected ISPs around the world

NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
edited November 2014 in Providers

Okay, so let's try to be realistic, not only personal preference: What are the best (commercial) ISPs around the world, connectivity-wise?

I will start with Spain, my country:

1- Comvive

2- Jazztel

3- Aire Networks (don't really have much first-hand experience with them)

Specially interested in what people think of the most competitive places like The Netherlands or Germany and the difficult Asian market.

Thanked by 1imchandave

Comments

• We don't have any good ISP here in Pakistan.

• UPC

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@Mark_R said:
    UPC

What country specifically? UPC is not bad and is cheap, but among the best...

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited November 2014

@Nyr said:
    What country specifically? UPC is not bad and is cheap, but among the best...

The Netherlands. I think that UPC is one of the larger ISPs globally, they are not only avaible here - since you don't seem to rate UPC as among the best im not sure if their quality is different in other countries.

edited November 2014

@Mark_R said:
    The Netherlands. I think that UPC is one of the larger ISPs globally, they are not only avaible here - since you don't seem to rate UPC as among the best im not sure if their quality is different in other countries.

Not that I think UPC is bad at all, they are a very large ISP with a big network and have their advantages, obviously.

Anyway I was thinking about independent ISPs, like maybe i3D or LeaseWeb if we talk about The Netherlands.

• @Nyr said:
    Anyway I was thinking about independent ISPs, like maybe i3D or LeaseWeb if we talk about The Netherlands.

http://www.serverius.com - their routing/connectivity globally is the best. Even towards the USA which is really far away from the NL.

• VikingLayerVikingLayer Member
    edited November 2014

If we're going with providers who have their own global network, i'd say Telia for Sweden. Or just providers with good connectivity all around, then i'd say Bahnhof. Most networks are good here though, so it's quite hard to choose - I use Com Hem and Telenor at the moment.

• None here in the Philippines also. A good explanations as to why... http://goo.gl/r2kYed

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

From the tickets I get about "the bad or saturated network" of ours, it seems all big romanian providers rock. I never had the problems those people describe in any location around the world. Just recently someone requested a refund because "proved" to me our business network is saturated in week-ends and evenings to his location, even though i could not replicate the problem from anywhere, including India and he was in UK IIRC.

@VikingLayer said:
    If we're going with providers who have their own global network, i'd say Telia for Sweden. Or just providers with good connectivity all around, then i'd say Bahnhof. Most networks are good here though, so it's quite hard to choose - I use Com Hem and Telenor at the moment.

Yeah, you guys are pretty lucky up there. I would put Portlane before Bahnhof though.

• VikingLayerVikingLayer Member
    edited November 2014

@Nyr said:
    Yeah, you guys are pretty lucky up there. I would put Portlane before Bahnhof though.

Portlane has a ton of peering wich makes their network look great, but in reality it seems to complicate things a lot. When using a VPN in Portlane's network, I got some quite wierd routes to some locations and occasionally packet loss, especially to Asia.

A good example would be (using cloud monitor),
    Shanghai - Stockholm (Telia): 225ms (0% loss)
    Shanghai - Stockholm (Portlane): 324ms (20% loss)

That being said, their network doesn't suck, but I noticed that it isn't perfect (wich network is, really?).

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Network reach - HE

Quality - TATA

• UK,

NTL (AS5089)
    BT (AS2856)

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

SoftLayer have a pretty diverse network geographically speaking.

• "Best connected ISPs", not happening in Australia..

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • 0xdragon said: "Best connected ISPs", not happening in Australia..

Well, it's a huge country with small population and far away from the rest of the world. I'd say it is doing pretty well, given the circumstances.

• what so fun with best ISP and great speed when they put bandwidth cap and throttle your speed once bandwidth is reached.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

creep said: what so fun with best ISP and great speed when they put bandwidth cap and throttle your speed once bandwidth is reached.

This is happening here only for mobile internet, not always enforced, either.

• BT in the UK is great, i would buy a dedicated line from them if it wasn't so expensive.

• In the US, for best infrastructure, I'd say Verizon - they actually have the capacity to deliver advertised speeds. I might have to give global connectivity to AT&T though.

• (not) Comcast. However, they have a monopoly in alot of places in the US so we don't have much choice.

• @rds100 said:
    Well, it's a huge country with small population and far away from the rest of the world. I'd say it is doing pretty well, given the circumstances.

When average 3G speeds are comparable to high-tier plans at a major ISP, you have a serious problem.

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited November 2014

Commercial wise, Telecity in the UK have a decent network.

Domestic wise, VirginMedia have a good network in the UK.

• Host4GeeksHost4Geeks Member, Host Rep

Cogent, HE :p

• Telkomsel - Indonesia

The best ISP for mobile internet.

• Telkomsel - Indonesia

The best ISP for mobile internet.

• BT (AS2856)

• Hurricane Electric & AT&T I think have a pretty decent global reach.

Here in the United States, Verizon is pretty broad in terms of coverage for both wireless & wireline services.

Out of country, TeliaSonera seems to be pretty dominant.

• He.net has a very open peering policy, however their backbone sux. I have seen too many problems from Europe to USA via he.net.

• Germany - For residential connections UPC (called Unitymedia here) are one of the fastest ISPs avaiable. Generally cable ISPs are much faster than DSL providers although some (e.g. Kabel Deutschland) throttle internet connections after too much traffic.

Speedtest of UPC/Unitymedia in Germany