Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS - VPS running after cancellation - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS - VPS running after cancellation

13»

Comments

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Guys, yes there are some VPS left over but is due to the hack(s). WHMCS did not pick them all up while we were rebuilding the VMs and restoring VPS. We have been catching a few here and there but there is only so much time we can put towards finding a VPS that was not terminated. That being said, its not like we have hundreds of non terminated VPS, it is very minimal.

How this is even an issue is beyond me.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited November 2014

@CVPS_Chris said:

That is one of your problems: You do not really have a clue. Just a VERY big mouth. Having several completely unpatched and still running VMs on your network is not an issue for you? Great. The rest of the Internet is thankful.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • @CVPS_Chris I hope you can find a good tech to resolve the issue soon.

Thanked by 2Amitz ihatetonyy
  • @vRozenSch00n said:
    CVPS_Chris I hope you can find a good tech to resolve the issue soon.

That is the polite version of my post above, I guess...

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @Amitz aside of all negativity, he's also a man trying to make a living :)

• @vRozenSch00n said:
    Amitz aside of all negativity, he's also a man trying to make a living :)

But shouldn't anyone try to do his best when it comes to profession?

• Amitz said: But shouldn't anyone try to do his best when it comes to profession?

That's right. Unfortunately some are fast learners, some are not, some are diligent, and some are lazy :)

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2014

@Amitz, they are patched, when we got hacked every VPS was installed brand new. The problem is, at the time while we had weeks of rebuilding we turned off auto terminate on WHMCS so no ones VPS got terminated while we went through the rebuilding process.

I understand your concern of what may have been the issue, but before pointing the finger at least know the full story and have correct facts.

CVPS has had its ups and downs, and we always do our best to remedy the situation.

The new support team in place have improved tickets vastly, with under an hour response time which is great improvement from what it used to be. I only see CVPS going up from here, and it will show in the coming months.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • edited November 2014

@CVPS_Chris said:
    Amitz, they are patched, when we got hacked every VPS was installed brand new. The problem is, at the time while we had weeks of rebuilding we turned off auto terminate on WHMCS so no ones VPS got terminated while we went through the rebuilding process.

I understand your concern of what may have been the issue, but before pointing the finger at least know the full story and have correct facts.

CVPS has had its ups and downs, and we always do our best to remedy the situation.

The new support team in place have improved tickets vastly, with under an hour response time which is great improvement from what it used to be. I only see CVPS going up from here, and it will show in the coming months.

You move from CC your customers move back to you. Amongst a series of them whom I've spoken to have told me you've given good support and pricing and service. So, thats all I can tell you for now ( thought im not in a position to tell you ).

• VPSRAIDSolutions said: You move from CC your customers move back to you. Amongst a series of them whom I've spoken to have told me you've given good support and pricing and service. So, thats all I can tell you for now ( thought im not in a position to tell you ).

Uhm .. What you're talking about?

• emgemg Veteran
    edited November 2014

@Rockster said:
    Uhm .. What you're talking about?

@VPSRAIDSolutions is suggesting that if ChicagoVPS changes their colocation provider to something other than ColoCrossing (CC) then customers who left ChicagoVPS would come back.

I will not opine on whether he is right or wrong. Search for "ColoCrossing" here on LowEndTalk and you will find many comments and discussions related to them.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited November 2014

@CVPS_Chris said:
    Amitz, they are patched, ...

You mean the "zombie" VMs did an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade (or whatever the installed OS requires) all by themselves? I meant VMs running with unpatched security vulnerabilities, because nobody takes care of them. Well, nevermind. Even I get tired sometimes and am out of here.

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • @CVPS_Chris said:

Running someone else's websites and services on an non-updated, unpatched, unattended server with a public IP is surely an issue. Not a small issue either.

Sure, I could have avoided the problem by deleting all my data before cancelling but I never expected that a cancellation could mean that you'd keep running it with another IP address.

@CVPS_Chris said:

>

I'm not sure if they are getting better or not, I really hope they do. They still look like they were avoiding to answer my questions. It took them 8 days of me repeatedly asking for root for them to even answer on whether they were going to give me root access or not. And there is a LOT of time (not CVPS' time, I'm talking about customer time) lost because the support people don't bother (or don't have the time to) reading the previous posts. Just look at how many times they were asking for stuff that I had already given them in previous posts of the same conversation.

Thanked by 1VPSRAIDSolutions