Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mail delivery monitoring system
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

mail delivery monitoring system

I am developing a mail delivery monitoring system.

You will send a mail to a set of predefined email addresses. The service will then check all for timely delivery, if it was marked spam or not etc.

Do you see a use case for this? Any services existing?

Comments

• Mandrill? Mailgun?

• +1 mandrill mate/

• No. Its not a mail delivery system. Its a system to track if your mails are reaching peoples inbox or not or their spam folder.

I will create accounts with many email providers for my service.
    You send mail to these accounts, the service will check all the accounts to see if your mail was received correctly and provide u a dashboard.

Useful for you to know if mails from your server as marked as spam by some providers.

• If it's recognized as spam then it won't be accepted anyway but it will bounce back with an error message. How would that work with multiple mta ips? If say I have 10 virtual mtas with 10 public ips and 5 of them are blacklisted with yahoo. So some mail will go through, some won't depends on which mta is transferring it at that time. According to your system I might get a message saying my message went through fine when it actually didn't or vice versa. Not sure how would that work.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2014

Useful to a degree for sure. There are things like MX Toolbox that exist purely to try to make you think problems exist so that you find them useful, while they are incapable of knowing the truth about how an e-mail server is configured. There are then better services that understand that the only way to know the health of an e-mail sent is to be the recipient and to then tear it apart.

Just make sure to cut providers some slack in the report to the person using the application about the mail landing in a spam folder. It could be SPF, could be DKIM, could be IP reputation, but it could also be that they have sent a lot of spam from their domain (intentionally or not) and now their domain is actually a filtered string on the other side.

Also, making it difficult to set the message sent is a positive. It needs to be without their 15 line signature with their logo, slogan, URL, phone number, mailing address, all that stuff. If "Hello" gets through to the inbox and their e-mails do not, they should know it's their content that is the problem.

• @Jar You put some great points there. I need to put some more thoughts on them.