Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers

Comments

• PhilNDPhilND Member

@jarland maybe it was just an honest mistake when they put the offer up, or prehaps they've ran out of SSD drives. Datashack are awesome, don't slander them over a little mishap, they happen.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@PhilND Oh I've every intention of letting them explain the situation, I would consider it very unfortunate to have to form such a negative opinion over so little money spent.

• huluwahuluwa Member

Whta's Remote Reboot Access?

• @huluwa said: Whta's Remote Reboot Access?

SSH

• yomeroyomero Member

Ok... So, I was thinking HEAVILY on getting this deal. And then I got conclusions.

• The Phenom II X4 840 is a better deal (For heavy CPU tasks).
    • A linode is a better deal (Better disk, probably better network and better processor).
    • Datashack is a better deal if I want to pull traffic like hell.
  • Some specs of the server I got:

http://i.imgur.com/UIGsn.png

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2012

@yomero said: The Phenom II X4 840 is a better deal (For heavy CPU tasks).

Where do you see an $35 server with a Phenom II X4 840?

@yomero said: A linode is a better deal (Better disk, probably better network and better processor).

Lolwat, comparing some VPS to a dedi. And btw just recently I have seen complaints in the LEB IRC that someone's Linode is slow as hell. Because obviously there's an untold number of other people on the same node as you, so this can never be a better deal than a server you've got all to yourself. Especially if Linode is not even significantly cheaper.

• @zhuanyi not bad:P

• yomeroyomero Member

@rm_ said: Lolwat, comparing some VPS to a dedi

Yes, I am.

@rm_ said: Especially if Linode is not even significantly cheaper.

It is, despite the bandwidth

@rm_ said: Where do you see an $35 server with a Phenom II X4 840?

Is 50 and it has a better processor and more space.

Apparently you are in bad mood today and don't get the point of my idea =/

edited July 2012

@yomero I am in an OK mood thank you :P I just find considering a Linode instead of this $35 dedi ridiculous.
    Regarding the Phenom one, yes I have found it now, but as soon as you approach $50 this comes out http://www.hetzner.de/page_us.htm and absolutely slaughters everything in sight. ("Wah wah but it's in Europe" -- so what, e.g. for me it's actually a huge "+", as I am on this side of the planet too).

• PatsPats Member
    edited July 2012

@earl said: can you request proxmox? or do you have to install debian then install proxmox I don't see a proxmox image

They'll install Proxmox (100% sure) - in the comments give them the link of Proxmox download link also + also link of Tutorial from howtoforge (just in case)

[edit: read that u have already ordered, so just open Support ticket mentioning the same :) ]

Thanked by 1earl
  • PatsPats Member

@rm_ said: but as soon as you approach $50 this comes out http://www.hetzner.de/page_us.htm

yeah, right you are...

• @rm_ said: you approach $50 this comes out http://www.hetzner.de/page_us.htm

50 Euros?

@zhuanyi said: 50 Euros?

42 Euros = 51.40800 U.S. dollars

• Keep in mind that the Hetzner prices include 19% VAT but you also have to pay 50$ setup fee.

@gsrdgrdghd
    VAT is only paid if you're inside EU. Setup fee - yeah.

• Wow, that stock didn't last long!

• AsadAsad Member

Hetzner prices include VAT I think, the prices listed on the website. Another reason I prefer them over OVH.

• earlearl Member

@yomero said: The Phenom II X4 840 is a better deal (For heavy CPU tasks)

The CPU passmark for both processor seems to be about the same.. and for the extra $15 you could get memory upgraded to 8gb with a second 146gb hard drive for raid on the Opteron deal.. also the Opteron is an HP blade!! while the Phenom is probably just a desktop computer..

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited July 2012

@earl said: seems to be about the same..

Hmmm passmark... is messed up. See the 830 and 850.

@earl said: also the Opteron is an HP blade!!

"Good" point (for some people)

@earl said: and for the extra $15 you could get memory upgraded to 8gb with a second 146gb hard drive for raid

You win on this.

• earlearl Member

@yomero said: Hmmm passmark... is messed up. See the 830 and 850.

yeah that's odd.. I recall some AMD had a defect on their L3 cache that when you put the patch ends up slowing down the CPU not sure which AMD that was thought..

Also I would assume that the Opteron would have ECC ram compared to non ECC for the desktop.. and considering that the cheapest colo they offer is $35 the Opteron deal is really a steal!! you're basically getting the server for free..

• @earl said: yeah that's odd.. I recall some AMD had a defect on their L3 cache that when you put the patch ends up slowing down the CPU not sure which AMD that was thought..

That was on the first-gen Phenom.

Thanked by 3yomero earl rm_
  • RandyRandy Member

@jarland said: Hello, these are SAS drives not SSD drives. If you do not want the SAS drives but would prefer the SSD's, we can gladly refund your money

Well, here goes DataShack. They sold out of these. There won't be a happy purchaser in the bunch. The rest for anyone who cares...

Could you clarify why your website specified SSD and I was not asked if I would
    like an alternate? I am not yet stating that I do not want this system, but this
    was to be my foot in the door to determine the quality of an experience with
    DataShack before possibly purchasing more servers, so I would appreciate some
    clarification.

Their response:

I will forward this to Billing and they will get back with you Monday.''

?????? what?! they care to respond to your emails but not others? this is ridiculous!!!!

• cnzhhicnzhhi Member

$35 sold out...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

they care to respond to your emails but not others?

They respond to support, but not pre-sales.

• SatelliteSatellite Member
    edited July 2012

I also had them set up the 2x SAS drives in RAID0. I'm not too bothered, for $40 the 10TB of bandwidth alone is worth it, especially at the gigabit speeds I'm pulling down.

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 16.8206 s, 63.8 MB/s

Is this really that bad for running websites on? I figure if I'm running a few Wordpress sites and a small forum that it shouldn't be an issue, am I wrong?

I also just rented a Dual Xeon L5420 (8 cores total) w/ 8GB RAM from them for $80 a month (2x 500gb HDs.) I'll probably use it for a couple of gaming servers, some torrenting torrenting, maybe a couple of websites.

Hetzner has some fantastic deals that probably crush it but since I live in Florida I doubt I'd get the speeds I'd like from Germany. If anyone has speedtests or other reasons that could convince me otherwise I'd be delighted to hear, because their prices are really nice.

• subigosubigo Member

@Satellite said: Is this really that bad for running websites on? I figure if I'm running a few Wordpress sites and a small forum that it shouldn't be an issue, am I wrong?

No, only on LET do I see people freak out over benchmark speeds. 63MB/s is more than enough for even a site with heavy database usage. Hell, half that speed would be fine.

Thanked by 4rm_ Surge Damian Taz
  • Yeah, that's what I figured. I can't imagine even heavy database usage needing that much i/o.

• flyfly Member

it's used because it's an easily comparable number, and usually is a pretty decent indicator of overselling