Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers

Comments

• @Jeffrey what SSD, SSD with SATA 3 running good potential~500MB/s or an SSD like the oCZ Petrol http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-petrol-sata-iii-2-5-ssd.html which on speed tests, barely beats a good 7200 HDD< but IOPS are much faster...

• My bad, actually my invoice says 146GB SAS, although I remembered during ordering it did say SSD...whatever...it is cheap enough for me

• @Damian said: Srsly? How often did you have to ask? Do you have a lot of servers with them to leverage something like that?

I asked for RAID set up during sign up and they emailed me and asked me if Hardware RAID 1 is OK, of course I said yes then :)

• syamansyaman Member

I ordered about 24 hours ago and I haven't received mine yet. But my service entry in the customer portal says SAS - not SSD.

• Guys with all you write im not sure if buy one or not :S.

I

• @martip07 said: Guys with all you write im not sure if buy one or not :S.

Up to you :) For me it is strictly for personal use (2 Windows virtual environment, 1 with a MS-SQL and 1 with a VB.NET + Other random things for Dev + 2 Linux box) so it does not matter to me whether it is SSD or SAS :)

Thanked by 1martip07
  • AmfyAmfy Member

How fast would the SAS be? 50MB/s? 80MB/s? 120MB/s?

Does it make any difference if non RAID or HW RAID1? (Only on speed matter)

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@syaman said: I ordered about 24 hours ago and I haven't received mine yet. But my service entry in the customer portal says SAS - not SSD.

I believe Datashack have a 2 business day set up time so likely to be Monday, if not today. Could always ticket them and ask..

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2012

@Amfy said: How fast would the SAS be? 50MB/s? 80MB/s? 120MB/s

It depends, but I would expect about 80-100 with a single drive.
    Raid 1 is mirroring, it will give a slight delay on write, but will read faster, tho with only 2 drives wont be that obvious.
    I am a bit pessimistic in general.
    M

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2012

146 GB is most likely a server-grade SAS HDD, there are no SSDs with that capacity, as someone correctly noted above. And these HDDs are not that great as far as linear read/write speed is concerned, but they do have a low latency (fast seek rate).

• debugdebug Member

When I had my server setup a month ago, it took ~2 business days

• PatsPats Member
    edited July 2012

@Amfy said: How fast would the SAS be? 50MB/s? 80MB/s? 120MB/s?

as per the link by @eastonch which makes some sense to clear the confusion of SAS/SSD

Style SSD
    SSD Capacity 146GB
    Size 2.5"
    Interface Type SAS
    Speed 10000rpm
    Cache 6GB
    Model Number 42D0617
    Capacity 146GB
    Scope Server

hmm... speed looks good.. comments??

• DamianDamian Member

FWIW, That's an IBM part number

• PatsPats Member

@Damian said: That's an IBM part number

yea... noticed the picture there also shows blue IBM logo, Made in Phillipines

• PatsPats Member

noone got the box yet?

• Well its been less than 2 days Pats.

• How would you guys rate DataShack's network? I'm thinking about getting one for a game server and I'm wondering about the ping, and route's it takes.

• @Insidiea said: How would you guys rate DataShack's network? I'm thinking about getting one for a game server and I'm wondering about the ping, and route's it takes.

6/10.

• earlearl Member

Really tempted to get this.. but not sure what to use it for, seem like an awesome deal to get an HP blade for $35!! but then again all my VPS's combined don't even come close to the price of one dedi..

Does anybody know how much they charge to reload the OS?

• @earl said: Does anybody know how much they charge to reload the OS?

I know you get one free a month, but not sure after that

Thanked by 1earl
  • @Spencer @Earl Usually free if you have a reason and there is no limit, but do not take advantage.

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member

I'm thinking about signing up with the base 4gb of ram but I wonder If i decide to upgrade the ram later on will they charge me a setup fee?

• subigosubigo Member

@earl said: I'm thinking about signing up with the base 4gb of ram but I wonder If i decide to upgrade the ram later on will they charge me a setup fee?

No.

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member

can you request proxmox? or do you have to install debian then install proxmox I don't see a proxmox image

• You have to install Proxmox yourself, they are an unmanaged provider.

• earlearl Member

@MrLadoodle said: You have to install Proxmox yourself, they are an unmanaged provider.

I was hoping they can install proxmox the bare-metal version instead of installing it on top of a debian installation

• @earl Oh they can install an ISO

• Just a heads-up, running Minstall's clean-packages hosed my install and now I've gotta request an OS reinstall.

Thanked by 1Spencer
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2012

@Satellite Did you disconnect SSH before installing a new SSH server? Hate to lose connection at that moment. Also when did you order the system? Curious on reality of setup time vs claimed.

• Nope, I definitely had a replacement SSH up. However, I think the clean-packages commands removes some packages that are required on boot-up, so when it reboots it can't boot into Debian.