Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers - Page 17
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Datashack is getting some stock back on cheap dedicated servers

Comments

• at last i see some juice..

root@:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 registos dentro
    16384+0 registos fora
    1073741824 bytes (1,1 GB) copiados, 10,4627 s, 103 MB/s
    root@:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 registos dentro
    16384+0 registos fora
    1073741824 bytes (1,1 GB) copiados, 10,5563 s, 102 MB/s

• teknixptteknixpt Member
    edited July 2012

@earl said: I changed the cache ratio to 100/0 read/write and changed the SCSI Controller in vmware to "LSI Logic SAS" now I get 107-118 MB/s

lol, me too. first time i got it wrong, i set up cachewrite at 0/100, insted of 100/0

jee, i can see the sun coming up, guess is time to go to sleep.

Thanked by 1earl
  • @earl said: I changed the cache ratio to 100/0 read/write and changed the SCSI Controller in vmware to "LSI Logic SAS" now I get 107-118 MB/s

Is that with raid 0?

• earlearl Member

@HalfEatenPie

Yup.. be sure to also enable write cache.

• PatsPats Member
    edited July 2012

@teknixpt said: There was no need to do that. Get this iso with integrated drivers.works like charm ;)

i killed the infamous raid 1 and im installing again on raid 0
    here..http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/6.0.5/i386/iso-cd/

yeah i mentioned it in the previous page... my link was 64bits iso :)

@Pats said: Here is a link to download Debian 6.0.5 64bit with the firmware - http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/6.0.5/amd64/iso-cd/

downloading now..
    Thanked by 1yomero

• PatsPats Member
    edited July 2012

onboard Proxmox now over Debian squeeze 64bit :)

hmm.. now what?
    ok time to play with bios, firmware ;)

• yomeroyomero Member

@bdtech said: How's proxmox going? What size ram vms did you create? Decent IO?

Just playing around. You can create VZ containers of 512GB xD
    And the KVMs go fine with virtio drivers =)

• OK, so the Java one actually worked with all key presses, but you can not load the ISO image from the Java remote console, which is silly, LOL, what I did was to load the ISO from the non-Java remote console and then install using Java remote console, seems to work so far (at 51% right now)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

There's a java ISO loader under the "virtual media" tab.

• syamansyaman Member

Are KVM VPS+Virtio drivers now at the same level of performance as OpenVZ?

@yomero said: Just playing around. You can create VZ containers of 512GB xD

And the KVMs go fine with virtio drivers =)

• @teknixpt said: @earl said: I changed the cache ratio to 100/0 read/write and changed the SCSI Controller in vmware to "LSI Logic SAS" now I get 107-118 MB/s

Where can I find this settings? I could not find anything in BIOS and press F8 got me into a screen that just says Create Virtual Drive and so on

• @jarland said: There's a java ISO loader under the "virtual media" tab.

This.

@zhuanyi: If you feel really adventurous, activate that trial iLO key and SSH into your iLO IP. Your credentials will be the same as the ones you use in your browser, and you'll do something along these lines. (You can't use hostnames, also. So hope and pray the mirror you're using to get your ISO from isn't vhost-only.)

Then do a reset by typing in 'power reset' and fire up the Java remote console.

• @ihatetonyy said: If you feel really adventurous, activate that trial iLO key and SSH into your iLO IP. Your credentials will be the same as the ones you use in your browser,

Thanks a lot, so what is the command to change the cache ratio settings?

• cnzhhicnzhhi Member
    edited July 2012

Anyone would like to transfer their unused one to me?

• @zhuanyi said: Thanks a lot, so what is the command to change the cache ratio settings?

No idea. I only have a single drive so I haven't had any reason to mess with any of that. Could try looking at hpacucli and this?

• @zhuanyi said: Where can I find this settings? I could not find anything in BIOS and press F8 got me into a screen that just says Create Virtual Drive and so on

Just follow ihatetonyy advice.
    add to sources
    deb http://downloads.linux.hp.com/SDR/downloads/ProLiantSupportPack/ lucid current/non-free
    apt-get install hpacucli
    execute hpacucli and type this commands:
    ctrl slot=0 modify dwc=enable (this enables cache ratio)
    **ctrl slot=0 modify cacheratio=100/0 ** (this sets the ratio)
    point is to enable it, but dont make use of it. i tried 50/50 , 75/25 and coulnt get past 65mb/s , but setting it 100/0 boosts to 102mb/s

• @ihatetonyy said: No idea. I only have a single drive so I haven't had any reason to mess with any of that. Could try looking at hpacucli and this?

Still trying to figure out how it work, thanks a lot though, thought @yomero had some graphical interface tools to accomplish the task

There is a RAID configuration utility ISO that provides a nice GUI for it. Pass on it for hpacucli. Much more effective and saves time.

• @teknixpt said: Just follow ihatetonyy advice.

add to sources
    deb http://downloads.linux.hp.com/SDR/downloads/ProLiantSupportPack/ lucid current/non-free
    apt-get install hpacucli
    execute hpacucli and type this commands:
    ctrl slot=0 modify dwc=enable (this enables cache ratio)
    **ctrl slot=0 modify cacheratio=100/0 ** (this sets the ratio)
    point is to enable it, but dont make use of it. i tried 50/50 , 75/25 and coulnt get past 65mb/s , but setting it 100/0 boosts to 102mb/s

Thanks, but I will have to install this on my own server though correct? I can not change this remotely? I have already install VMWare on this server...

• i took this approach because i couldnt get the raid utilities iso to load. it allways gets stuck on final steps

• earlearl Member
    edited July 2012

@zhuanyi said: Where can I find this settings? I could not find anything in BIOS and press F8 got me into a screen that just says Create Virtual Drive and so on

you need to download the iso and load it from ilo's virtual media

I gave the link before but i'll post it again incase you missed it.

HP ProLiant Offline Array Configuration Utility

To change the SCSI controller type you need to right click on the VM you created in vmware choose edit and under SCSI controller you can pick "LSI Logic SAS" make sure the VM is powered off so it allows you to change the settings..

@teknixpt said: i took this approach because i couldnt get the raid utilities iso to load. it allways gets stuck on final steps

If your using the "HP ProLiant Offline Array Configuration Utility" it does take a while to load even thought it looks like it's hanging.. make sure you are not getting logged out of ilo.. you can change the "Idle Connection Timeout" from within ilo administration->access->options.. I changed mine to infinite

• yomeroyomero Member

@zhuanyi said: thought @yomero had some graphical interface tools to accomplish the task

Nope, console only.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Hello :P
    Could someone (please please) post a way (step by step) to upgrade iLo and increase I/O like described in the above posts ? Pleasee :D

• I am loading the ISO image right now, gosh this is going to take a while :)

• @yomero said: Nope, console only.

Good enough for me, thanks!

• Latest stats after changing the RAID ratio, thanks to everyone who gave me various suggestions:

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 40.9282 s, 26.2 MB/s

That's on RAID0?

• @jarland said: That's on RAID0?

RAID 1, the one that write 2 copies of data

• and this is after setting the read/write to 100/0

• yomeroyomero Member

Well, better than nothing.
    I prefer separated drives, and mantain backups manually.