Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WebHostingTalk strange administration
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WebHostingTalk strange administration

I just received the following e-mail from WebHostingTalk:

Dear mpkossen,

This is a reminder about your post(s) or other actions at Web Hosting Talk.

This is the reason for this message: Choose a User Name (Having too many user names).

The moderator who issued this reminder has this message for you:
=======================================
You are permitted a maximum of one account, active or inactive, regardless of how many companies you represent. If you choose to ignore this important restriction, all your accounts will be disabled. Please choose which one to keep:
hansvanr / mpkossen

Replies via the help desk only, please: http://helpdesk.webhostingtalk.com/

If this reminder is about a specific post, you can access the post here:

If you can't access the above URL, the post has been removed from public view. You can see your original post here:

If this reminder is about a rule you broke, you may receive warning points if you break this rule again. To review forum guidelines, please use the link to the Rules at the top of every forum page.

This infraction is worth 0 point(s). To see details of all the infractions and alerts you have received, please visit the following URL:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/usercp.php

Do let us know if you have any questions or concerns by contacting us at: http://helpdesk.webhostingtalk.com/

WHT Forums Team

I'm not only offended by this accusation, as I rarely visit WHT and I have been a very good citizen. I am also wondering what they are basing this on. I'm quite sure my IP addresses have never been used by anyone else, nor should my e-mail address have been.

Naturally, I've sent them a ticket confirming I have just one account and asking where this accusation is coming from, but I still think this is strange.

Has anybody else ever experienced one of these things with WebHostingTalk? How did they handle it?

Comments

• I gave up on WHT... Got sick of a lot of the rules that were just over kill, and the fact that it didnt feel very community based... Apparently this is not too rare though.

• finally you're unmasked... LOL. ;-)

searched for postings of user hansvanr, got only one thread from back in 2010 - what a bs...

Thanked by 2ad0 StackVPS
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2014

SNetworks1 said: I gave up on WHT

This. They selectively enforce their own rules, but are very heavy handed on the ones they select, while very permissive of their "staff" and friends. Their voice is too large for their attitude and these two items are best leveled out by simply not visiting their site.

For example of the above, you are allowed to post negative reviews of services that you are not a client of nor have recently been a client of if the staff there dislike the host as well. Meanwhile, if you are not a friend of the staff, you may have a hard time keeping positive reviews if anyone calls them into question for any reason, and competitors will gladly do so.

It's no surprise that they would target @mpkossen because he technically works for ColoCrossing to an extent, and they don't like them.

Thanked by 2mpkossen StackVPS
  • Me too. I gave up with WTH some time ago. Now i visit it a couple of times a month, but just in lurk mode.

Thanked by 2mpkossen AlexBarakov
  • What is WHT?

Thanked by 2ihatetonyy StackVPS
  • Buy corporate membership and they don't complain ;)

• it would appear quite alot of the mods/admins @ WHT are complete retards. and hypocrites. Rules don't apply for friends..

Thanked by 2ad0 StackVPS
  • @linuxthefish said:
    Buy corporate membership and they don't complain ;)

You got that shit straight man !

• @linuxthefish said:
    Buy corporate membership and they don't complain ;)

Hmm, maybe I should introduce that here with my PayPal account as the recipient...

Thanked by 1StackVPS
    edited October 2014

@mpkossen said:
    Hmm, maybe I should introduce that here with my PayPal account as the recipient...

If you were the recipient I'd pay it ;)

I like an honest bribe system.

• edited October 2014

@mpkossen said:

lol !!!!!! , sticky offer threads ( P.S we get to unban ourselves too ? )

• While I do think that certain rules of WHT wouldnt be bad for LET either, I also do agree that they are sometimes way too restrictive respectively interpret rules to their liking. I once got an infraction for daring to utter the latin phrase de gustibus non est disputandum, which was apparently a blatant violation of their only-English rule.

About this particular case, I'd simply try to clarify why they believe the mentioned account would be yours. It seems the account in question was registered about a year prior to yours, but hasnt been active since then. Could it be that you had a shared IP address three years ago?

Thanked by 1perennate
  • On the flip side at least we don't get 3 LET accounts from "3 GVH employees"...

Thanked by 3netomx k0nsl StackVPS
  • @Jar said:
    I like an honest bribe system.

I consider that an incentive... ;-)

• @zhuanyi said:
    On the flip side at least we don't get 3 LET accounts from "3 GVH employees"...

This. Although it's quite hard to prove who is who anyway.. I still think @VPSRAIDSolutions is Jonny boy from GVH.

But I can't prove it ;)

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • edited October 2014
  • @alessio
    It would have to be IP related, I assume @mpkossen is using custom domains for email. But even then why do they care years later. And both accounts are relativily inactive

• LeeLee Veteran

To be honest and whether you like them or not the key people over there do a good job, they spend an awful lot of their time out of view doing things. My experience has been that those that have been banned deserved it, I racked up a few warning points myself in the premium section.

To many other so called moderators like Steven F, net, bezazz and the like are just in the role for their own gain and don't care who they tread on whilst wielding their willy about the place.

I would say in the case of @mpkossen an IP match is the most likely.

Thanked by 2MannDude k0nsl
  • edited October 2014

+1 for an ip match though I hate Bear / anon-e-mouse over there while Andy and a few are good.

I agree on 1 point with @WTV_Lee , they do spend time on forum patrolling it.

Thanked by 1StackVPS
  • @CFarence said:
    alessio
    It would have to be IP related, I assume mpkossen is using custom domains for email. But even then why do they care years later. And both accounts are relativily inactive

Nah, it's Gmail for WHT. And it's not even an old account match or something like that. I simply don't know the handle "hansvanr".

W1V_Lee said: To many other so called moderators like Steven F, net, bezazz and the like are just in the role for their own gain and don't care who they tread on whilst wielding their willy about the place.

Yeah, I'd wish they'd boot all those people. Not that the overlords are that good, but these guys are worse.

W1V_Lee said: I would say in the case of @mpkossen an IP match is the most likely.

Yeah, in that case their system is broken. I simply have no second account. I share my WiFi connection with my wife and she doesn't even know what WHT is.

• edited October 2014
  • LeeLee Veteran

mpkossen said: Not that the overlords are that good, but these guys are worse.

I suppose it depends on your experience over there, Bear, Mouse, SWR and Writespeak I have always found to be decent folk overall. I guess you just need to know how to avoid trouble which is not really hard, well not that I have found in over 11 years a member.

It's not the forum it once was, just over run now with shilling, people posting to get their signature seen and mostly useless crap posted. I find it too hard these days to find decent content over there.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @mpkossen said:
    Yeah, in that case their system is broken. I simply have no second account. I share my WiFi connection with my wife and she doesn't even know what WHT is.

Assuming a static IP in this case..

Have you changed ISP's somewhat recent? Maybe this 'hansvanr' had your IP in 2010?

Odd they just now started complaining..

• alessio said: I'd simply try to clarify why they believe the mentioned account would be yours.

There's really not more to say to this. Only they can explain what they believed was going on. Everything else is happy guessing.

@alessio said:
    There's really not more to say to this. Only they can explain what they believed was going on. Everything else is happy guessing.

That's because they won't explain it and they won't discuss it. Dare you to try.

• Plot Twist: @mpkossen (Maarten) is just an alias for his true identity "hansvanr". ;)

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • @Jar said:
    That's because they won't explain it and they won't discuss it. Dare you to try.

As far as such issues are concerned they are actually usually pretty open. It is other things, such as their censorship program, where they are extremely secretive and refer to privacy policies.

There must be a reason why they believe those two accounts belong to the same owner.

• I don't care. I don't know why you felt the need to post that unnecessary garbage here.. You're representing a company but you post stupid stuff on almost every post.

Please.... just .. stop..

Thanked by 3Darwin Chalipa namhuy
  • Maybe that moderator just got bored and started looking at users that had logins from the same IP, even though the login is years apart :)

Thanked by 2mpkossen ad0
This discussion has been closed.