Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS as Mail Server.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS as Mail Server.

I need to offer mail hosting for some of my clients. All clients are using these mail servers for legal activities. not for spam or bulk mail things. but If I put more than 10 companies to same server it may need more sending limit. So please let me inform if you know any provider allow mail hosting inside of there VPS's or simple fire your offers :)

Ram : 256 MB to 512MB is enough.
CPU : 1 CPU Core
Bandwidth : 1TB over 100Mbps line
Disk Space : around 50GB

my budget is not in high value just post your offers please. as I said before I'm gonna use this servers for mail hosting. :)

Comments

• Can you define what you mean by legal activities?

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited October 2014

@DalekOfSkaro said:
    Can you define what you mean by legal activities?

Title and post? Email server apparently.

@HaroldM I would recommend Mandrill.

• @HaroldM said:
    I need to offer mail hosting for some of my clients. All clients are using these mail servers for legal activities. not for spam or bulk mail things. but If I put more than 10 companies to same server it may need more sending limit. So please let me inform if you know any provider allow mail hosting inside of there VPS's or simple fire your offers :)

Ram : 256 MB to 512MB is enough.
    CPU : 1 CPU Core
    Bandwidth : 1TB over 100Mbps line
    Disk Space : around 50GB

my budget is not in high value just post your offers please. as I said before I'm gonna use this servers for mail hosting. :)

I can allow on our KVM 2 plan ( extra bandwidth can be given )

• MailGun, MandrillApp.

• Mandrillapp, although a good VPS or shared hosting provider should have no problem with a medium volume of email.

• I'd suggest mxroute tbh. Easier than dealing with managing a mail server yourself.

What do you think @Jar?

Thanked by 1jar
  • What is your estimated number of email sent per day/per hour/etc? Is it 10 companies the size of Microsoft? Or is it 10 companies the size of my local public library? Or 10 companies the size of my local lawn maintenance company? I think that will help the providers give you guidance.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@CharlesA said:
    I'd suggest mxroute tbh. Easier than dealing with managing a mail server yourself.

What do you think Jar?

Always happy to accommodate :)

• thank you all for the comments, I got small nap and miss the drama here :/ anyway I can't go with mail services like mandrill etc cuz my boss not like it :P he need to get VPS and make mail server ( please don't ask me why )

DalekOfSkaro said: Can you define what you mean by legal activities?

I try to mean no spam things :)

VPSRAIDSolutions said: I can allow on our KVM 2 plan ( extra bandwidth can be given )

can you PM me the prices with extra bandwidth please.

rajprakash said: What is your estimated number of email sent per day/per hour/etc?

I need to add 10 domains with around 5 mail accounts per each domain. some day's each account will send 10 to 20+ emails but some day's it may only 2 or 3 mails from account.

Jar said: Always happy to accommodate :)

can you give me VPS's with reasonable price. I'll take care of the rest :)

• Are you really sure you want to run your own email servers it is a LOT of hassle to do it right, and you will need more than 1 VPS and on different networks. Its a lot easier just to get MXRoute, etc to host it for you or just setup a Zoho Mail Free account for each client.

• edited October 2014

@HaroldM 500-1000 emails a day should be no problem even for a LEB. Postfix+dovecot+spamassassin. Your 256MB/single core/50GB VPS should be well equipped to handle that.

• rajprakash said: @HaroldM 500-1000 emails a day should be no problem even for a LEB. Postfix+dovecot+spamassassin. Your 256MB/single core/50GB VPS should be well equipped to handle that.

can you please suggest me a provider that allowed this amount in LEB ? I think most of them will suspend me asap if my server gonna send 500 mails each day :/

• You're best off asking providers individually. I process about 300 inbound (mostly spam), and about 50 outbound daily on a BuyVM 128MB yearly without batting an eyelash. Their 256MB plan falls short in your disk space requirements, but I'd holler at them anyway.

• ElChileElChile Member
    edited October 2014

@HaroldM - Go Crissic! One in Los Angeles and one in Jacksonville, Fl. Their IPs are clean, and have reverse DNS available in their panel.
    Two 256/50GB/750GB $10 a year specials should work nicely for inbound mail Clink This Link

You can smarthost outbound mail to MailGun, MandrillApp, or other from your VPS to avoid delivery problems with gmail and such.

• I can allow you to use our KVM 2 plan as well. You can sign up here: http://www.xfusesolutions.com/kvm If you pay yearly I'll include a PositiveSSL for your mail server as well.

• For 30,000 outbound mails per month you pay $10 to Mailgun.

If you want to build a mail server yourself, any VPS around $3/month should be more than enough for the volume.

• O8amaO8ama Member
    edited October 2014

@ElChile said:
    HaroldM - Go Crissic! One in Los Angeles and one in Jacksonville, Fl. Their IPs are clean, and have reverse DNS available in their panel.
    Two 256/50GB/750GB $10 a year specials should work nicely for inbound mail Clink This Link

You can smarthost outbound mail to MailGun, MandrillApp, or other from your VPS to avoid delivery problems with gmail and such.

They have out sending limit of 200 emails per 24hrs.

• @O8ama said:
    They have out sending limit of 200 emails per 24hrs.

Technically the limit is like 400 in a 10 minute period. If you keep it at like 500 a day you'll be plenty fine.

• @SkylarM said:
    Technically the limit is like 400 in a 10 minute period. If you keep it at like 500 a day you'll be plenty fine.

So for a bunch of personal emails account this might work well? (as long as you don't use something like amavisd)

• I'd stay away from any host that gives you a colocrossing IP address. They're getting blocked all over the place Spamhaus, so anyone you try to email from such an IP will reject your email. Do some searching for colocrossing and spamhaus. Do your research before outlaying your cash.

• for production use, I would rather use KVM, at least to be able to provide more privacy to your business customers - they probably rely on you handling it right with their mails.

can recommend crissic too, they have good KVM offers as well.
    or maybe ramnode if you're looking for a europe location...

• interesting conversation here... I'm personally looking to make an Enterprise mail and groupware solution for around 300 to 500 mailboxes spread over 20-30 domains for different customers. Zentyal 4 is out, I'm testing to see how I can get its Mail only features on a bare minimum KVM VPS

• We allow mail as long it's not spam. Check our plans at https://www.tragicservers.com/cart.php?gid=15 and save 50% using "50" at checkout.

Roilan

• seems like best match is Crissic's OVZ. but now I'm preferred KVM due to privacy issues :/ can anyone provide me offer with KVM ?

• Interesting topic. Why do you think KVM is better than OVZ in respect of privacy? Because KVM is capable of full disk encryption? If this is the case, OVZ should have no problem in encrypting mail directory by using encfs or ecryptfs.

Correct me if I've overlooked anything.

• @hanru said:
    OVZ should have no problem in encrypting mail directory by using encfs or ecryptfs.

sure something like that can be done, but I wouldn't really compare that to full disk encryption.
    what about log-files and even the process-list which is easily viewable on the hostnode and may contain IPs/domain-names/mail-adresses and such?

I am sure one can reach enough security on ovz for all those things, but maybe achieving this takes more work/time than on kvm, which can be installed/configured from the beginning as needed - not relying on ovz-templates which than has to be worked around.

after all thats not the only reason why I would prefer KVM over OVZ for production use.
    to be able to choose a kernel by yourself comes to mind as does the hope that kvm nodes aren't that much oversold like cheapest ovz ones... probably kvm is a bit pricier and therefore less attractive to abuser, etc.

for sure that's at last a matter of the provider one goes with...

Thanked by 1hanru
  • tehdartherertehdartherer Member
    edited October 2014

It is easy to browse through the OVZ fs, therefore encfs or ecryptfs aren't helping much as long as the folders are mounted.

@hanru said:
    Interesting topic. Why do you think KVM is better than OVZ in respect of privacy? Because KVM is capable of full disk encryption? If this is the case, OVZ should have no problem in encrypting mail directory by using encfs or ecryptfs.

Correct me if I've overlooked anything.

• tehdartherer said: It is easy to browse through the OVZ fs, therefore encfs or ecryptfs aren't helping much as long as the folders are mounted.

Are you sure that in the OVZ case, VPS providers can easily browse through mounted encrypted directories like other unencrypted directories? If so, I'd say filesystem encryption in OVZ is no more than useless.

• Exactly. Since they have access to the whole fs, the encrypted folders are not encrypted at all. An encrypted folder which is never mounted is useless, indeed.
    (e.g. GVH stated that they crawl through the clients data, if you seem suspicious)

So, either you find a OpenVZ provider you trust, or you need a KVM/Xen box. On the latter you can encrypt the fs completely and it is much harder to get hands on your data. But keep in mind, it is still possible. Except you shut down the server, then the data is save, as long as the encryption is good enough.

Thanked by 1hanru
  • VereloxVerelox Member
    edited November 2014

@HaroldM said:
    seems like best match is Crissic's OVZ. but now I'm preferred KVM due to privacy issues :/ can anyone provide me offer with KVM ?

I think I can provide you the following custom package for a really low price!

Storage: 20 GB
    RAM: 512 MB
    CPU Cores: 1 core
    Bandwidth: Unmetered, with Anti-DDoS Pro
    IPv4: 1
    Price: 3 EUR monthly exc. VAT (approx 3.6 EUR inc. VAT if you live in Europe)
    Virtualization: KVM
    Control Panel: Virtualizor with custom ISOs enabled

If you think this meets your needs you may feel free to contact me and I will be happy to setup your machine!