Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need suggestion for dedicated core cloud computing providers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need suggestion for dedicated core cloud computing providers

JunJun Member

Hi, I'm looking for "cloud" computing provider that meets the following criteria

• 8 threads or more high performance dedicated cores
  • 16 gb or more ram
  • SSD (disk I/O critical)
  • Supports image snapshot
  • Billing hourly (< $0.15 per hour)
  • Windows preferred. 64bit debian-based Linux works, too.

I found runabove almost meets my need for $0.14 except that it doesn't support image snapshot.

Do you have any suggestions for such providers? Thank you.

Comments

• Amazon compute instances?

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited October 2014

[DELETED]

• JunJun Member
    edited October 2014

rds100 said: Amazon compute instances?

EC2 capped CPU usage with their "CPU Credit" and they are much more expensive than the price I want. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

• @drserver might be able to customize a solution for you.

Thanked by 1drserver
  • sijie123sijie123 Member
    edited October 2014

I doubt you would be able to get so many dedicated cores at that price, definitely not if you're looking for Windows.

@Jun said: EC2 capped CPU usage with their "CPU Credit" and they are much more expensive than the price I want. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

No and no. CPU is not capped for larger instances. It's only capped for t2 series. As for pricing, depending on your use case, spot instance pricing is way under your budget.
    C3.2xlarge is currently at 6.4cents per hr under Linux, giving you 8 CPU cores, 15 GB RAM and 80GB SSD

Thanked by 1Jun
  • Comes out to 46$/month, not really beatable.

• JunJun Member

sijie123 said: I doubt you would be able to get so many dedicated cores at that price, definitely not if you're looking for Windows.

I have my own Windows license, although it doesn't seem to work for AWS. Not a strong preference, though.

sijie123 said: As for pricing, depending on your use case, spot instance pricing is way under your budget.

Thanks for this info! This might actually work well for me. I need some computation power for scientific computing. I'll take a closer look at it.

• runabove seems to have snapshot feature under "Expert Mode". I'm not sure if its working though, didn't try it myself

Thanked by 1Jun
  • DylanDylan Member
    edited October 2014

Yeah, RunAbove does have (pretty robust) snapshots and images. You just need to switch to Expert Mode (click your name on the top right).

Jun said: This might actually work well for me. I need some computation power for scientific computing. I'll take a closer look at it.

AWS spot instances can be a fantastic deal and scientific computing is a pretty good use case for them -- but be sure what you're using it for is fault-tolerant (it can and will be interrupted if the instance price goes above your bid) and time-flexible.

Thanked by 1Jun
  • JunJun Member

ranaldlys said: runabove seems to have snapshot feature under "Expert Mode". I'm not sure if its working though, didn't try it myself

Just found it! Yeah, I'll soon check the snapshot feature.

Dylan said: AWS spot instances can be a fantastic deal and scientific computing is a pretty good use case for them -- but be sure what you're using it for is fault-tolerant (it can and will be interrupted if the instance price goes above your bid) and time-flexible.

Was modifying code for this as I looked into spot instances. But now that I found snapshot feature in runabove, I might stick to runabove for now. Yet, it still seems like AWS is about 1/2 cheaper. Definitely will consider it as an option depending on my application in the future.

Thank you everyone for your help.

• Take a look at our https://www.dedify.com offers. The CloudVM 16384 will pass your requirements and offers real dedicated cores with at least 2 GHz which completely reserved for you.

Snapshots and other aren't a problem with CloudStack.

Thanked by 1Jun
  • leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

Stormondemand also advertises Dedicated cpu cores

Thanked by 1Jun