Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PowerDNS - TXT records not being served for 1 domain
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PowerDNS - TXT records not being served for 1 domain

Hi,

I've got 4-5 domains in my PDNS setup. If I create a TXT record for 4 of them and do a dig @ns1.mydomain.com TXT mydomain.com then I get a reply back with the relevant TXT records.

With the last domain I get no answer back as to the TXT records, it's just blank.

I've restarted the PDNS service - any way I can troubleshoot this? Has anyone had anything similar?

Thanks,

Comments

• TXT value must include double-quote.

• @mustafaramadhan - Yep. I've got it like that. The weird thing i've noticed now is that it will accept TXT records of sub domains e.g. xyz.mydomain.com will serve TXT fine but mydomain.com will not serve TXT at all...

• Using PowerAdmin as panel for PowerDNS?.

• The problem gets weirder.

With new PDNS version + MySQL DB I can serve the TXT records fine. If I import the old MySQL DB the troublesome record still won't display TXT - so it doesn't look like a PDNS version issue, but rather a MySQL one?

• Possible yes.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@jeromeza - do you have any CNAME records?

• Found my issue:

It seems you can't have a CNAME and try to serve a TXT record at the same time. It's one or the other. Removed the CNAME and replaced it with an A record an all works.

Apparently its just how DNS works - any smart people that can explain it to me, along with why you need to wrap TXT records with " "...

• @gbshouse - I wish I had seen your comment earlier. I've been debugging this... Care to explain why you can't have both?

• TXT without double-quote not only specific for powerdns. It's possible the same issue for bind, nsd and yadifa. DJBDns need 'special' treatment for 'TXT record'.

Cname vs A record is different issue.

• I was told you always have an A record for root, rather than cname to www. you can cname www to root however.

• @jeromeza: You can reference this link:

"An alias defined in a CNAME record must have no other resource records of other types (MX, A, etc.). (RFC 1034 section 3.6.2, RFC 1912 section 2.4) The exception is when DNSSEC is being used, in which case there can be DNSSEC related records such as RRSIG, NSEC, etc. (RFC 2181 section 10.1)"