Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone know of virtualisation like this?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone know of virtualisation like this?

jhjh Member
edited October 2014 in General

This is for educational purposes only...

Does anyone know of very, very simple Linux container virtualisation software? The only feature I need it to support is to be migrateable between different servers. So, for example:

1. User deploys a server with Provider X using OS A.
  2. They run a script that gives them a single virtualised environment to work in
  3. They decide they want to move to Provider Y using OS B
  4. They re-run the script on the new server and run 1 command to copy the environment over.

If this doesn't exist, can anyone point me in the right direction about building something like this? LXC/VZ are way too complex for this.

This is to solve the problem of having to set up application dependencies again and again for each new server.

Comments

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited October 2014

No clue, sorry.

Edit: Docker, maybe?

• UML maybe, but it is still too complex - you need to setup networking, etc. when you move it to a new place.

Maybe just run your application inside a chroot jail on top of any VPS or server?

• jhjh Member

Couldn't find anything useful with normal searches but I found some really useful projects on Github. I think I'll be learning from & adapting this one:

https://github.com/kenshin54/crane/

• Docker and chroot are the only things that spring to mind, but I'm not sure if chroot would support the migration aspect.