Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What VPS specs needed for reselling/hosting? (hosting 15-20 people, details follow)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What VPS specs needed for reselling/hosting? (hosting 15-20 people, details follow)

Just out of curiosity:

Let's say I wanted to run a VPS running VestaCP, and I wanted to be able to host about 15-20 people, and give them a fair amount of freedom. Worst case, let's say they all decide to host WordPress sites (ugh) with a handful of plugins. What kind of specs (# cores, RAM) would I need? Because I'm quickly learning that you need at least 1GB RAM and 2 or 4 cores to even host a few WP sites.

Comments

• E3 CPU will give you plenty of power. If you think your customers will host WordPress sites or high I/O sites/applications, then I highly recommend getting some SSD storage in RAID 1 for redundancy. 16 GB of RAM minimum.

• Wow, 16GB RAM minimum? So basically I can't expect to pay for a VPS (like RamNode) and host many people running intensive websites.

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

It depends on the traffic of your clients' websites. I think you can start with a KVM SSD VPS with around 2GB of RAM first, then upgrade to higher plans later.

• @CaptSaltyJack said:
    Wow, 16GB RAM minimum? So basically I can't expect to pay for a VPS (like RamNode) and host many people running intensive websites.

If your customers will be running WordPress sites with a handful of plugins, the memory usage will be pretty high. 1 GB of RAM for WordPress with plugins and caching is like nothing.

• kkrajkkkrajk Member
    edited October 2014

You should be fine on a 4GB 4core vps (approx 1 wp site a customer with decent traffic)... Vestacp uses nginx for proxy ..so make sure to increase worker processes a lot more than you normally do(10240 instead of 1024) ... Make sure you do away with Innodb and tune mysql for a low footprint, correctly tweak the server etc etc, .. Also make sure your open file limit on the server is set real high (1024 default)

Add varnish in front if you can and want to, to take a lot of load off (but not mandatory as here you have nginx in front of apache to do the bidding)

And lastly, you need to tweak wp to use minimal server resources... (Google and you will find extensive pointers on how to do it)... .... Totalcache will be a good start

Thanked by 1CaptSaltyJack
  • RizRiz Member
    edited October 2014

I would aim for 2 cores, 2G-4G of ram, and SSD. It really depends on the amount of traffic / plugins / spikes.

• @CaptSaltyJack said:
    Just out of curiosity:

Let's say I wanted to run a VPS running VestaCP, and I wanted to be able to host about 15-20 people, and give them a fair amount of freedom. Worst case, let's say they all decide to host WordPress sites (ugh) with a handful of plugins. What kind of specs (# cores, RAM) would I need? Because I'm quickly learning that you need at least 1GB RAM and 2 or 4 cores to even host a few WP sites.

What's meaning '15-20 peoples'?. Accounts in VestaCP?. If yes, you need 2GB RAM or more. Or you need modified pm value in php-fpm per-account.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I once ran a wordpress site on a 64mb LES.

Hade 20-50 users per day. Just saying.

It all boils down to configuration and site traffic.
    Most likely you would get decent working sites on a 512mb site with some tweaking (apt-get install is not tweaking).

Thanked by 2obakfahad Lixxx235
  • Thanks for all the input, guys.

MikHo: What, was this WordPress 1.0? ;)

• @Snoork_Hosting said:
    E3 CPU will give you plenty of power. If you think your customers will host WordPress sites or high I/O sites/applications, then I highly recommend getting some SSD storage in RAID 1 for redundancy. 16 GB of RAM minimum.

Well based off your speclist hardly any of my WP sites should be functional.

@MikHo said:

It all boils down to configuration and site traffic.

This.

• 1GB should be plenty unless you've badly misconfigured your server.

• Abdussamad said: 1GB should be plenty unless you've badly misconfigured your server.

+1

It depends the load on each website and if there is a caching strategy though.

Good software optimisation == nice performances with less hardware!

• Well, there's only so much tuning you can do on a 1GB 4-core (for example) server. Like with nginx + php-fpm, for instance. I have pm set to ondemand and all you can really do is adjust the pm.max_children to a value that doesn't completely wipe out your RAM, but spawns enough children to handle traffic. Beyond that, I'm not really sure what else I can fine-tune.

• n1kkon1kko Member
    edited October 2014

I have a 4 core VPS 1gb ram with cPanel and host 20 clients all running Php cms systems and a few sites get over 200 unique visits a day.

Runs without problem

• I'm upgrading my VPS to 4-core 1GB now. Just curious, what kind of PHP CMS are your clients using?

• Most running website baker cms and a Php newsletter system. 4 are running custom Php scripts and a couple using a Php image gallery

• Aha. So, not WordPress. :) 20 WordPress installs (including various plugins) would not work on a 1GB server.

• CaptSaltyJack said: Aha. So, not WordPress. :) 20 WordPress installs (including various plugins) would not work on a 1GB server.

Yes, it'd work.. Just make sure your sites are optimized.

• Optimized in what way? 20 busy WordPress sites?

• No not Wordpress

• CaptSaltyJack said: Optimized in what way? 20 busy WordPress sites?

How busy are they? How many hits per day, how many plugins etc....

• @CaptSaltyJack said:
    Aha. So, not WordPress. :) 20 WordPress installs (including various plugins) would not work on a 1GB server.

I have way more then 20 semi-busy Wordpress websites on my 1GB VPS with a LAMP setup.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@DalekOfSkaro said:
    How busy are they? How many hits per day, how many plugins etc....

+1 on this
    Use free tools around the globe to achieve your goal.
    Cloudflare can be set to cache static files, use it.
    Use a wordpress plugin that caches html versions of your site.

Bad plugins with a badly configured mysql server is probably your worst enemy right now.