Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lowend vps (eg. 32mb) as Front End Server to the Load Balancer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lowend vps (eg. 32mb) as Front End Server to the Load Balancer

PresbytisPresbytis Member
edited July 2012 in Help

Hi All, i'm new here. Thus far i visit lowendtalk as passive reader.

I've read from nginx wiki about configuration to create load balanced web server. Is it possible for ultra low end vps (eg. with 32mb ram as ipxcore's offer) as a frontend server to the load balancer? My plan is to make the lowend vps as main server for nginx, while the actual web processing (database query, dynamic page building) done on several more powerfull servers. Can the frontend server serve many concurent request whitout failing? Do you have suggestion about this? Thanks.

PS. Sorry for bad english.

Comments

• I actually don't know and I'd love to do this too (or atleast know how to).

So SOMEONE WHO HAS MORE EXPERIENCE THAN ME HELP!

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited July 2012

@Presbytis said: Can the frontend server serve many concurent request whitout failing?

Probably. Obviously you must try first before moving your sites.

Also, some providers will cap you more or less about the maximum sockets allowed. And a 32MB plan will not give you enough bandwidth per month.

@HalfEatenPie said: SOMEONE WHO HAS MORE EXPERIENCE THAN ME HELP!

What is the purpose of the caps?....

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

I'd recommend looking at HAProxy instead. It should theoretically run on very low-end servers, and has more features for load-balancing than nginx, plus was made specifically for the purpose of load-balancing.

• @yomero said: What is the purpose of the caps?....

It was to express my excitement for your help

• @yomero said: And a 32MB plan will not give you enough bandwidth per month.

Ah, i forgot about bandwidth.

@joepie91 said: I'd recommend looking at HAProxy instead.

Thanks for the recomendation, i'll try on local virtual machine first.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

In theory if you need good performance front end servers should have good parameters: RAM to cache as many object as possible to avoid fetching them from back end every time, port/bandwidth - it's better to have front end server on 1G connection and back end servers on 100M. Please remember also that if you want to share session across HA environment sometimes you need to use few tricks. For low end solutions I would suggest to use 2+ VMs with ngnix proxy (with load balancing) balanced using DNS round robin plus 4+ nodes as a back end servers running ngnix and Percona Cluster (maybe some additional GlusterFS in the background). You can setup such environment for less then 30USD per month.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@gbshouse said: RAM to cache as many object as possible to avoid fetching them from back end every time

@gbshouse said: it's better to have front end server on 1G connection and back end servers on 100M

Some very good tips.