Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD or SATA Preference
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSD or SATA Preference

Would you prefer a server with 2x 250 GB SSD or 2x 2 TB SATA?

SSD or SATA
  1. SSD or SATA Preference?63 votes
    1. 2x 250 GB SSD
      61.90%
    2. 2x 2 TB SATA
      38.10%

Comments

• Depends on what I'm using the server for. Specs are based on needs, not preference.

• Exactly as Hsunami said.If you can provide more insights into what you are planing to use this server for we might be able to suggest which one to choose over the other.

But generally if you don't have very high space requirement I would say go with SSD's.
    They do provide significant improvement over HDD if you are ok with less space.

• SSD for all and SATA for backup

• HDD anyday. 2 of them in raid 0 will reach ssd read and write anyway.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2014

TarZZ92 said: HDD anyday. 2 of them in raid 0 will reach ssd read and write anyway.

Far from it, 2 spindlers will never reach for real the random IOPS of a SSD. NEVER.
    If you need SSD for dd "test" like every kid here, then, yeah, but ssd is needed for IOPS, not for sequential writing "tests" which happen in cache anyway.
    In short, I use ssd in laptop due to the rough treatment I subject it to, having no moving parts does help in giving it a longer life, and also because raid is kinda hard there, also I dont get good random access with only one disk if not ssd.
    I use SATA HDD in every other scenario, with memory caching for databases, only once or twice had to use a SSD array for large databases.

• @Snoork_Hosting said:
    Would you prefer a server with 2x 250 GB SSD or 2x 2 TB SATA?

It really depend what you need to do there is no real solution that fit every possible situation, If you aren't doing anything I/O intensive i would go for the HDD as 250 GB is quite small,

• if you do not need more than 250 gb space go for SSD

You will feel the difference...

• I prefer EIDE drives.

• Maounique said: In short, I use ssd in laptop due to the rough treatment I subject it to, having no moving parts does help in giving it a longer life.

This. I often get told off by friends when handling their laptops and throwing them around as I forget they don't have SSD's...

Thanked by 2netomx Pwner
  • I personally will prefer hybrid configuration. SSD for database and HDD for files and backups.

• ad0ad0 Member
    edited October 2014

The Hardware for 2x 250 GB SSD cost's more than 2x2TB HDD.

• SSDs work great for laptops as @Maounique and @linuxthefish said. They tend to last a lot longer depending on your wear and tear, especially physical movement, as well as optimize battery life (and performance) and reduce the general heat of the laptop.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Ain't SSD also SATA?

• ad0ad0 Member
    edited October 2014

@Pwner said:
    SSDs work great for laptops as Maounique and linuxthefish said. They tend to last a lot longer depending on your wear and tear, especially physical movement, as well as optimize battery life (and performance) and reduce the general heat of the laptop.

Not all is true of your statements, motherboard is the most Vulnerable hardware.

The cpu and the motherboard heat sink causes most of the heat on laptops and not the drive. The SSD only save's battery on it particularly part only and not other's hardware.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • Depends on the situation: SSD and/or SATA

• SSD are faster but SATA is cheaper.
    So it depends - if i'll be running a website with a lot of pages / posts / search etc. therefore needing a large database and will have a lot of DB querys - i would go for the SSD option, but if i will be storing a lot of static content, e.g. a lot of pictures, documents, files or whatever i would go for SATAs as you can have a lot more space for that price.

• Thank you for the feedback and the votes.

We have decided that with our new line of servers we'll be offering 4 x 250 GB SSD for high performance and 4 x 4 TB SATA large storage needs.

• Hybrids are good. I like SSD's for data that rarely changes, or databases to avoid fragmentation due to periodical inserts.

For everything else, particularly large files... HDD.

• My needs didn't change over last few years so I prefer HDD because bigger storage for a buck as long host don't oversell like a crazy.

• Depends on usage.

• @ad0 said:
    The cpu and the motherboard heat sink causes most of the heat on laptops and not the drive. The SSD only save's battery on it particularly part only and not other's hardware.

I can assure you from my own experiences of replacing my older MacBook hard drive (160 GB, 5400 RPM) out with a faster one (750 GB, 7200 RPM) I've achieved new levels of heat generated with it and now require to elevate the bottom so the fans can function better. My old hard drive never caused my fans to run so heavily. The hard drive RPM speed can also affect the heat generated on a machine.

• rajprakash said: I prefer EIDE drives.

Sure you don't mean MFM or RLL? ;)

• @Snoork_Hosting said:
    Thank you for the feedback and the votes.

We have decided that with our new line of servers we'll be offering 4 x 250 GB SSD for high performance and 4 x 4 TB SATA large storage needs.

What's wrong with a little caching to combine the two?