Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best place to host Observium
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best place to host Observium

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums.

I am planning to host Observium outside of our datacenters and wanted to know what is the most reliable company where I could install Observium?

Thanks!

Thanked by 1wych

Comments

• There is no single-most reliable company. There are several very reliable companies here, e.g. RamNode, InceptionHosting, VPSDime, etc. And there are reliable companies outside the lowend price criteria, e.g. Linode.

Maybe you could give some idea of location and resource requirements.

Thanked by 1bearando
  • Hey @sleddog, thanks for the comment.

We have presence in Europe (DE, FR, NL, UK) and US (NYC, soon LA). I have M/Monit installed on a DigitalOcean VPS but there have been some network issues during the summer that triggered false alarms, etc.

So I was thinking of installing Observium on a host with reliable stock and network, or maybe setup multiple Observium installs to get more accurate info.

Thanks and hopefully more suggestions will spring to mind now that I added more detail.

• Ramnode and VPSDime have been really reliable for me. Currently around 100 days server uptime on both, and no network blips that I've noticed (use both UptimeRobot & StatusCake to track).

Thanked by 1bearando
  • Does Observium need to be HA? I see it as more of an information tool rather than uptime monitor. Perhaps keep a US and EU VM for this.

Thanked by 1bearando
  • You should check offers from @SkylarM @serverian & @AnthonySmith & go blindly for any of these :)

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • Is it possible to have different prober VPS for Observium?

• @zhuanyi - Yes but not out of the box

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • Any VPS from a solid provider should do the job, unless you're going to be monitoring hundreds and hundreds of devices in which you should consider a dedicated server.

• QuadraNet_Adam said: Any VPS from a solid provider should do the job, unless you're going to be monitoring hundreds and hundreds of devices in which you should consider a dedicated server.

How does that work? For me it only polls one device at a time and won't move onto polling another device until it has finished with the current. Surely that means there is an upper limit to how many devices can be polled in Observium?

• There are plenty of people who have had issues scaling it. Some have gone to Ramdisks/SSD and used NFS to share the datastores, some have started playing with objectstores.

RRD creates a lot of IO traffic and if you consider some devices can take 10+ seconds to pull all their data via SNMP then you have to go multi-poller pretty quickly.

• I host Observium at a XVMLabs VPS. I would suggest you to dont use Observium as a uptime monitor.

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited October 2014

kcaj said: How does that work? For me it only polls one device at a time and won't move onto polling another device until it has finished with the current. Surely that means there is an upper limit to how many devices can be polled in Observium?

You haven't configured Observium correctly then. With my yearly RamNode I can poll 15 devices in 20 seconds.

• @kcaj said:
    How does that work? For me it only polls one device at a time and won't move onto polling another device until it has finished with the current. Surely that means there is an upper limit to how many devices can be polled in Observium?

Its right in the observium docs: http://www.observium.org/wiki/Performance_tuning#Multiple_poller_instances