Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ARM LEBs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ARM LEBs

gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
edited July 2012 in General

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member

$1000 for an ARM server? No thanks, i prefer the Raspberry PI :)

Thanked by 1klikli
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Hmmm I agree that the price is too high but the CPU is slightly different than in R-Pi http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/01/calxeda_energycore_arm_server_chip/.
    But you know 48 nodes per 4U (12nodes [servers] per 1U) it's better density than blade servers.

• seems interesting, the power consumption should be lower than "traditional" alternatives

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@gbshouse said: But you know 48 nodes per 4U (12nodes [servers] per 1U) it's better density than blade servers.

If it comes to compare with lebs, I am sure a serious 1U server can provide more than just 12 VPSes and at higher specs than those. As for power, that depends, but i dont expect it to be so clear-cut.
    M

• OpenVZs ARM port is very out of date.

Thanked by 1klikli

@Maounique - 1 node = 1 physical server with 1.4GHz 32bit quad core CPU, 4GB RAM, 2x10GE network ports and 4 SATA

@MrLadoodle - I would think rather running Xen Cluster than OpenVZ

• @gbshouse said: @MrLadoodle - I would think rather running Xen Cluster than OpenVZ

Possibly.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@gbshouse said: @Maounique - 1 node = 1 physical server with 1.4GHz 32bit quad core CPU, 4GB RAM, 2x10GE network ports and 4 SATA

I stand corrected, I saw an earlier version of sorts a few months ago, but this is a different animal.
    M

• DamianDamian Member
    According to Karl Freund, vice president of marketing at Calxeda, these on-board BMCs burn anywhere from one to four watts of juice and have an average manufacturing cost of $28 per node, so integrating this on the chip cuts down on both power consumption and costs for large-scale server clusters.

Whenever they get to that point, that's when it'll get quite interesting!

• rds100rds100 Member

So the manufacturing costs are $28 per node, and they sell it at $1000 per node? Nice margin...

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@rds100 said: $28 per node, and they sell it at $1000 per node?

that's called BUSINESS

@Damian = "The dozen processor cards including memory burn only 300 watts." - still nice
    @rds100, @netomx - "A fully loaded Viridis server including the dozen cards (that's 48 processors and 192 cores) with a total of 192GB of main memory and two dozen disks costs $50,000." - for such large environments it's still cheap