Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Setup LAMP on 32MB VPS server - video tutorial
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Setup LAMP on 32MB VPS server - video tutorial

unknowunknow Member
edited October 2014 in Tutorials

Hi LowEndTalk members :)

I was working with extreme small VMs (32-64MB) for a long time, so I decided to prepare short video tutorial for all of You that are interested in this kind of lowend solutions.

I show, how to setup typical LAMP stack (Linux + Apache + MySQL + PHP) on 32MB VPS server.

This is my first tutorial in english, and I'm from Poland, so sorry for any language mistakes :)

Comments are welcome. Thx.

P.S. You want more tutorials like this one?

Thanked by 2mike0000 NanoG6

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited October 2014

said: P.S. You want more tutorials like this one?

Not really, I much prefer written tutorials to video ones. Videos are fine fort pratical tutorials where you need to actually see something done, but that's totally unnecessary for command line-based tutorials.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • unknowunknow Member
    edited October 2014

@Nekki said:
    Not really, I much prefer written tutorials to video ones. Videos are fine fort pratical tutorials where you need to actually see something done, but that's totally unnecessary for command line-based tutorials.

You are right. This kind of tutorials can be written in just few paragrapsh of text (+some commands), but I will tell You, what is my point of view. If I working with newbie admins, they usually prefer, when I sit with them, and describe them what to do. I could send them just list of commands, but they always ask if I can come and explain them everything 'in person'. So I decided to make series of tutorials (video tut.), because I can't teach people 'in person' over the net. I want to simulate, that someone is sitting with You, and describing You in friendly way, what to do, and how things works. I recording this kind of movies of years (in Polish language) and they are kind popular :)

'tl;dr' version:

• text tutorials are awesome for linux admins with some expirience

• video tutorials are better for newbie admins, that don't understand 90% of tutorials over the net ;)

Thx. for comment.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2014

32 MB VPSes are dead -- killed by the rising IPv4 prices and plummeting RAM prices. Even LowEndSpirit offers 128-256 MB for 3 EUR/year. RAM is not the issue anymore, it's a question of IP costs and allocation.

The only remaining customer base for the 32 MB (and some of whom will probably post here in defense) is a small group of people who like to prove themselves they are better than everyone else, by overcoming a ridiculous limitation they have mostly imposed on themselves.

• rm_ said: The only remaining customer base for the 32 MB (and some of whom will probably post here in defense) is a small group of people who like to prove themselves they are better than everyone else, by overcoming a ridiculous limitation they have mostly imposed on themselves.

Well put.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited October 2014

unknow said: video tutorials are better for newbie admins, that don't understand 90% of tutorials over the net ;)

Disagree, I see no benefit. Video tutorials don't allow you to take your time like a text tutorial does (which is arguably important for newbies), and there's nothing you can show in a video that you can't adequately convey via text.

• mike0000mike0000 Member
    edited October 2014

@rm_ You're arguing over a tiny detail of this guide.

I think this information is just as useful for someone trying to squeeze the most out of a 128MB or 256MB VPS. Very few people will use a 32MB VPS, but the tips can be applied to a larger VPS just as easily - it's showing people where/how you can optimize certain processes.

I love these types of guides because I always pick one or two things up, or just get an idea of the thought process of another admin. Sometimes I like to kick back and have someone talk nerdy to me :)

@unknow I enjoy the screencast format, but as @Nekki said text guides for these things are helpful. Perhaps you can accompany your next video with some notes below.

Anyways, subscribed. Look forward to more tutorials.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Nekki said: Disagree, I see no benefit.

Well he means there's a group of people who just can't read, and need everything explained to them "by a real person" (and two or three times at that). Have to agree there is certainly such a group, and it is very large. Though I am not sure if a video tutorial will be of any help to those people, compared to a text one.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • @Nekki said: Video tutorials don't allow you to take your time like a text tutorial does (which is arguably important for newbies)

You can pause, go back, etc. Not everyone enjoys video tutorials, but a lot do. I think the most valuable part of video for a newbie is being able to show the results of a command or explaining a simple error. Very very few text guides go into that much detail.

• But lowendbox has had this tutorial for a while now http://lowendbox.com/blog/wordpress-cheap-vps-lowendscript/

But yes text tutorial is a lot better. And you can copy and paste the commands.

• mikeyur said: You can pause, go back, etc.

How irritating is that though, plus wouldn't newbies benefit from being able to c/p commands?

That aside, the question was whether I'd like them, not what I think is useful for the masses, so I still think the answer for me (and I suspect the majority of this forum) is no.