Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest place to get a wildcard SSL cert?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest place to get a wildcard SSL cert?

I'm contemplating getting a wildcard SSL cert to use with my email server/owncloud/other services.. where is the cheapest place to get one?

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Hello Void_Whisperer,

I'd order a VMBox.co VPS and get the free Wildcard SSL which comes with it :-)

• edited October 2014

Oops double post.

• @MrGeneral said:
    Hello Void_Whisperer,

I'd order a VMBox.co VPS and get the free Wildcard SSL which comes with it :-)

Can't that only be used on that VM though?

• vmbox is supposedly also very unreliable.

• Void_Whisperer said: vmbox is supposedly also very unreliable.

Where did you get that idea?

• I use GoGetSSL, myself.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Void_Whisperer said:
    Can't that only be used on that VM though?

I don't think so :-)

• cheapsslsecurity.com

• Hmm how did you come to that conclusion from that post?

Thanked by 1StevenN
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2014

msg7086 said: Hmm how did you come to that conclusion from that post?

Flat out lying in their ToS about a 3-day no questions asked refund, and then denying it on their own discretion, only bothering to comply when a shitstorm is raised on a public forum, is that not enough? (And no, they can have their "cool story" about owner being out of town to tell the little kids).

Also personally I will never trust a company with a .co (or .biz) domain, and cases like these only reaffirm this impression. There's always something wrong about those, else they'd pick a proper brand and web address.

• XFS_DukeXFS_Duke Member
    edited October 2014

I can offer you an AlphaSSL Wildcard by GlobalSign for $55 per year. Message me if interested.

• Have a look here: https://store.ssl2buy.com/configurableoptions/configurable/102/1/0/0/S2B-AW40

30 $ per year if purchased for 5 years.

• vmbox is supposedly also very unreliable.

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/759581/
    rm_ said: flat out lying in their ToS about a 3-day no questions asked refund,

VMBox handled that well. They are not required to give a refund. The client in question was attempting to create chaos - nothing more.

The TOS also states that:

VMBox reserves the right to cancel, suspend, or terminate any service provided with or without a refund or notice or warning for any reason.

Thanked by 1StevenN
  • StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep

@rm_ said:
    Flat out lying in their ToS about a 3-day no questions asked refund, and then denying it on their own discretion, only bothering to comply when a shitstorm is raised on a public forum, is that not enough? (And no, they can have their "cool story" about owner being out of town to tell the little kids).

Wow there buddy, why so much hate? I was on holiday in Tenerife and staff were handling tickets for me. There was a confusion and i rectified it immediately when i found out. Here is some proof if you're interested. Probably not though.

• @VMbox said:

Are you able to use the wildcard SSL on servers outside of the ones that you host at vmbox?

>

Although they're only supposed to be used on our network, they DO work elsewhere and there is no way for us to stop you. We would ask you only use them on our servers. We have never had a single license revoked out of thousands issued.

• I've been using VMBox for my SSL's for a while now, no issues what so ever.

Thanked by 1StevenN
  • CloudFlare

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2014

SingleHop offers unlimited free AlphaSSL certificates (both wildcard/single-domain) for anyone on its "Tandem reseller" program. SingleHop only provides these under the condition that they are used on SingleHop's network. VMBox offers one of these certificates with each VM.

VMbox said: Although they're only supposed to be used on our network, they DO work elsewhere and there is no way for us to stop you. We would ask you only use them on our servers. We have never had a single license revoked out of thousands issued.

Sure there is, you can revoke the certificates of clients who use it elsewhere. IMO you should be careful about making statements ("although ...") like these, that imply that clients won't encounter issues if they use certificates elsewhere, as it endangers your relationship with SingleHop and makes your image less legitimate.

• @VMBox, I can see you're not doing multiple wildcard ssl certificates anymore since it was abused. Is it possible to get a few ones through a ticket? I'll use them on the vps hosted by you only

@perennate said:
    SingleHop offers unlimited free AlphaSSL certificates (both wildcard/single-domain) for anyone on its "Tandem reseller" program. SingleHop only provides these under the condition that they are used on SingleHop's network. VMBox offers one of these certificates with each VM.

Sure there is, you can revoke the certificates of clients who use it elsewhere. IMO you should be careful about making statements ("although ...") like these, that imply that clients won't encounter issues if they use certificates elsewhere, as it endangers your relationship with SingleHop and makes your image less legitimate.

What i've said is the truth. We ask them don't be used anywhere else as it's against our providers terms. But we can't do anything about it when people do.

We have no options ourselves to revoke or renew SSL's only to create them.

@cassa said:
    VMBox, I can see you're not doing multiple wildcard ssl certificates anymore since it was abused. Is it possible to get a few ones through a ticket? I'll use them on the vps hosted by you only

Sure, submit a ticket.

• How long does it take to get a VPS provisioned from VMbox? I ordered about two days ago, but it's still "Pending."

@herbyscrub said:
    How long does it take to get a VPS provisioned from VMbox? I ordered about two days ago, but it's still "Pending."

Please submit a ticket, it should be automatic unless you gave an invalid hostname or there's an ip shortage on the node you were assigned.

• Sweet thanks! I just got the email.

@herbyscrub said:
    Sweet thanks! I just got the email.

I investigated and found you provided an invalid hostname so auto setup failed. Sorry about that.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2014

VMbox said: We have no options ourselves to revoke or renew SSL's only to create them.

You can revoke SSL certificates by opening a support ticket. There is not really any such thing as "renew SSL's" when they're free.

• @Silvenga said:

VMBox reserves the right to cancel, suspend, or terminate any service provided with or without a refund or notice or warning for any reason.

Silvenga, suggesting that my intent was to create chaos, is a distortion of what occurred. You really should not make such false assertion.

My certificate expired and one was needed immediately. VMBox said they would not be able to provide it for another week, so a request was put in to cancel the VPS in accordance with its TOS that guaranteed in plain English a refund; "VMBox offers a three day refund period for your first payment on your first VPS with us." There was nothing there that was meant to cause or create chaos. They were violating their own TOS and I decided with great hesitation to make it public.

Your statement is a bit absurd, and to think that VMbox actually thanked you for such a ridiculous comment after the response on that thread makes me wonder if at all it was sincere.