Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which HDDs...?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which HDDs...?

PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
edited July 2012 in Help

Considering getting 2xHDDs in RAID. I'm new to RAID and building servers.

Which model/make of HDD would you use? Probably only need 500GB but would consider 1TB, and which raid card/set up?

Thanks!

Comments

• What do you need the HDDs for? Mostly just storing files or stuff like databases? WIll it be running 24/7?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2012

for 2 hdds it is probably not worth getting a card, software raid should work. You can also only do mirror or stripping.
    In case of mirroring you have half the capacity but 100% redundancy and in case of stripping you have some performance increase but 2 times more likely to lose the data, and if you lose it, it will be really lost in most cases.
    If you want a real raid, get 3 hdds at least, from 4 it starts to look more like it.
    M

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2012

Two good, solid drives on RAID1 is fine, but 4 on RAID10 is a lot better. If you're building a vps node I suggest the latter as the bare minimum.

• @jarland said: Two good, solid drives on RAID1 is fine, but 4 on RAID10 is a lot better.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Raid 1 has the same redundancy as Raid 10?

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@gsrdgrdghd said: What do you need the HDDs for? Mostly just storing files or stuff like databases? WIll it be running 24/7?

It's not a production server, but it would be online 24/7. Storing files, small databases. Basically, it's going to have websites and a Minecraft server on it. As I said, it's not for production.

I just want the make/model of some solid HDDs, and some software raid options please :)

Cheers,
    Dominic

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@MrLadoodle Yeah, just not the performance.

• DamianDamian Member

@dominicl said: It's not a production server, but it would be online 24/7. Storing files, small databases. Basically, it's going to have websites and a Minecraft server on it. As I said, it's not for production.

I just want the make/model of some solid HDDs, and some software raid options please

I'd recommend linux software RAID1 for this, with WD RE4 or Seagate Constellation drives. They're not that much more than consumer drives, and they're actually designed for 100% uptime.

@Damian said: I'd recommend linux software RAID1 for this, with WD RE4 or Seagate Constellation drives. They're not that much more than consumer drives, and they're actually designed for 100% uptime.

Thanks, any others? They're slightly more than I want to spend, as it's not a production server to be honest.

• PADPAD Member
    edited July 2012

Doesn't matter whether its production or not, they're designed to be running 24/7 so its best to get them and have a lower failure rate than to get consumer drives and have a higher failure rate, whether production or not data loss is data loss. :)

I would highly recommend going with the drives Damian listed, the extra cost will be worth it.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited July 2012

@PAD said: I would highly recommend going with the drives Damian listed, the extra cost will be worth it.

Added them to my basket and saved everything as a quote. How does this look?

i.imgur.com/vupQX.png

• Is the mainboard included in the chassis? o0

edited July 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: Is the mainboard included in the chassis? o0

yes looks like it?

• DamianDamian Member
    edited July 2012

Multiple things here:

-A cse-510t-203b chassis does not include a motherboard (even though it looks like it)
    -Those hard drive trays are 2.5", not 3.5". Which means you're using either laptop hard drives, or extremely expensive SAS drives.
    -You're buying a retail-boxed CPU, which includes a fan and heatsink which are way too big to fit into a 1u case. The chassis you've chosen does not include a heatsink, so you'll have to find one that fits in a 1u case.

(edit) What's your budget?

OK, that's that out the window. What about Dell's R210 II, what are peoples thoughts?
    dell.com/uk/business/p/poweredge-r210-2/pd?oc=svr210ii&model_id=poweredge-r210-2

• DamianDamian Member

I like that better. Only comes with 2gb of ram, so make sure you spend some $$$ to upgrade that.

@Damian said: I like that better. Only comes with 2gb of ram, so make sure you spend some $$$ to upgrade that.

Would I need more though? Their RAM is nice and expensive :P

• DamianDamian Member

A minecraft server will eat 2 gb of ram for breakfast and come galloping back for more...

• MartinMartin Member

It's easier to add the memory to begin with also, worth having more than you need.

edited July 2012

@Damian said: A minecraft server will eat 2 gb of ram for breakfast and come galloping back for more...

Not if I set it to run at 512MB-1GB like I've done in the past ;-)

@Martin said: It's easier to add the memory to begin with also, worth having more than you need.

Yea, hmm...