Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosting your own email?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosting your own email?

I'm looking to host my own email - I've tried using iRedMail, but for whatever reason on ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04 it completely skips half of the setup and when it's 'done installing' I'm left with an unfunctional email server. Any advice?

Comments

• go for VestaCP or Webmin

• +1 for VestaCP

• Odd, I've installed iRedMail many times and never had a problem. Though not on Ubuntu.

It isn't terribly hard to do one from scratch. I ended up doing that just because I like to customize things.

Are you looking for a virtual users or just regular ones (system) since you mentioned it is just for your own email?

• @tortau said:
    Odd, I've installed iRedMail many times and never had a problem. Though not on Ubuntu.

It isn't terribly hard to do one from scratch. I ended up doing that just because I like to customize things.

Are you looking for a virtual users or just regular ones (system) since you mentioned it is just for your own email?

I've tried it with centos 7.. to realize that it supports 6 not 7 :(

Thanked by 1Lixxx235
  • Use Debian.

Thanked by 1pbalazs123
  • @Void_Whisperer said:
    I've tried it with centos 7.. to realize that it supports 6 not 7 :(

I've always used Debian. Don't recall which version now (I did it twice about half a year ago).

I also recommend: https://github.com/mail-in-a-box/mailinabox

• I'm using iRedMail as well, with no issues. Great piece of software.

Try it again ;-)

• I use webmin, think the reason i didn't go with iRedMail was something about them not allowing email aliases, can't remember exactly though.

• I installed a Zimbra + Z-Push setup a few days ago. It's nowhere near lightweight but so far is working very very nicely.

• Debian DVD doesn't want to work with proxmox :(

• not had any problems with iRedMail here either, webmin for lighter server's

• MattMMattM Member
    edited October 2014

I used to do self hosted email myself, then I got tired of having to have yet another thing to constantly worry about and update. I've been debating about pulling the trigger on MXRoute for a while.. so that's always an option if you decide you don't want the "hassle" of a mail server.

Then again I was doing everything by hand and not using any sort of a panel as you are looking to do.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @MattM said:
    I used to do self hosted email myself, then I got tired of having to have yet another thing to constantly worry about and update. I've been debating about pulling the trigger on MXRoute for a while.. so that's always an option if you decide you don't want the "hassle" of a mail server.

Then again I was doing everything by hand and not using any sort of a panel as you are looking to do.

Do it, just do it. I've seen many users switch from self-hosted to MXRoute and none of them have regretted it. @Jar might have a few words to contribute on this.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Pwner said: Jar might have a few words to contribute on this

I look at it this way. I've already done the hard work, and I keep doing it every day. Let me take the work off your hands, in exchange for paying a few of my bills :)

For real though I'm surprised about failed iRedMail installs. I've never had one go off with less than perfection. It's a great setup.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • @Jar said:
    For real though I'm surprised about failed iRedMail installs. I've never had one go off with less than perfection. It's a great setup.

Well in my case it's been less than fun. Ubuntu doesn't work, centos is a bit loopy, debian doesn't want to install. I can go on.

• @Jar said:

Well worth the 3.50/month in the time it saves me so I'm happy to "pay some of your bills".

Thanked by 1jar
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

i personally use kloxo or vestacp or ispconfig

all works great, and i do not have to take much pain...

• @agentmishra said:
    i personally use kloxo or vestacp or ispconfig

all works great, and i do not have to take much pain...

Isn't Kloxo banned from most providers because of how pisspoor the devs handle the security/exploits?

I've got self hosted mail and it's a royal pain in the ass, but I also did everything from scratch after following a few tutorials, and ended up just using the one posted on Ars Technica and modifying it to work with my setup.
    http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/02/how-to-run-your-own-e-mail-server-with-your-own-domain-part-1/

• For the past week or so I have been paying around with Virtualmin. I used the install script on Ubuntu 14.04 and it went without a hitch. I had a fully functional email server within a few minutes.

I do, however, host email with MxRoute and it is rock solid. You can't go wrong with them.

Thanked by 1jar
  • why not exchange 2010?

• tomletomle Member, LIR

postfix + dovecot running on Debian
    Been using qmail and courier-imap before on Slackware

• I ended up installing iRedmail on debian 7 and setting it up to mandrill as an outgoing mail relay. After I figured out that the SMTP port I needed to use was 587 it worked quite well :)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@DamienSB said:
    why not exchange 2010?

Probably because most people here are to cheap to pay the costs for it. :)
    and that they lack the tech knowledge to set it up properly.

• My cell phone beeps every time I get an email thru Gmail. Does iRedMail or any other solutions suggested here notify me of a new email through my cell phone?

• @Yago said:
    My cell phone beeps every time I get an email thru Gmail. Does iRedMail or any other solutions suggested here notify me of a new email through my cell phone?

You should be able to setup IMAP with most smartphones, if not it might be time for a new one...

• linuxthefish said: You should be able to setup IMAP with most smartphones, if not it might be time for a new one...

I think he's looking at PUSH notifications.

• I use Gmail app on my android for push notifications & it notifies me with notification sound & it's pretty enough :)

• ucxoucxo Member
    edited October 2014

@Yago said:
    My cell phone beeps every time I get an email thru Gmail. Does iRedMail or any other solutions suggested here notify me of a new email through my cell phone?

@GIANT_CRAB said:
    I think he's looking at PUSH notifications.

IMAP's "IDLE" feature does the same thing, you just need an IMAP server (e.g. Dovecot) and client (e.g. K-9) that support it.