Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Community hosted LEBs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Community hosted LEBs

PADPAD Member
edited July 2012 in General

Just wondering if anyone has attempted this yet and what you guys think?

Kind of like a public donation counter and the community based provider would restock each month after 'donation goals' where reached to deploy new nodes? Not sure if anyone has done or has thought about doing something like this but with a strict set of rules and guidelines I think it could work.

Give feedback? Bad idea? If so say why, etc.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2012

Something like http://FreeVPS.us?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I actually like that idea. As you said, strict rules would be necessary, but I wouldn't mind seeing a little more "community" here. Not that there isn't any, just would like more of it.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • PADPAD Member

@Jack well that's definitely a good point, right now I didn't think too much into it but I do have resources to offer something like this and it might be an interesting thing to try in the future, so long as it really is helping the community even paying half the bill would be a good start.

And @KuJoe yes exactly, but for the LET/LEB community, maybe even providers here could work together towards something? I mean I'm not saying you should all throw your profits away and I don't expect 2GB VPS' to be thrown at people but something like this would surely only be a positive thing for the community.

I will think about it some more and post some ideas if I have them, in the meanwhile you guys keep giving me your critique :)

• So a bit like a LowEndCo-Operative? You pay for 1/8th of the server, so you get 1/8th of the server?

It's a nice idea, but you'd have to factor in the risk of someone dropping out, meaning their financial contribution needs to be replaced.
    I guess a 3-month minimum commitment of some sort would need to be in place, with a 30 day exit notice?

• I like the idea but i don't think that it will work for us since everybody already has more LEBs than they can use.

Thanked by 2rm_ jcaleb
  • lbftlbft Member

This place has too much drama for something like that to work, IMHO.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: I like the idea but i don't think that it will work for us since everybody already has more LEBs than they can use.

Hell I have more VPSes than I have fingers.

I think I might need to stop paying for some.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • I like the idea, but I think figuring out who (or whom) "runs" it will be more hassle than benefit.

• subigosubigo Member

I've done exactly that for a large IRC channel in the past. It never works out, because people don't donate. If they're willing to give money, they just go get a regular VPS with regular host. I ended up paying for it out of my pocket for three months and then shutting it down.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@subigo said: It never works out, because people don't donate. If they're willing to give money, they just go get a regular VPS with regular host.

this