Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your ideal (Realistic) VPS package and Price?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is your ideal (Realistic) VPS package and Price?

MonsteRMonsteR Member
edited October 2014 in General

Hello LET,
So today I'm going to ask what is the package which you are looking for?
What is the ideal package for you ?
Raid 10 SSD or Sata, Disk Space, Memory, CPU, bandwidth, Port Speed, KVM/OpenVZ, price per month ?

Or any other interesting Ideas for new packages or features included with vps. Basically were asking what do you want and expect from a VPS provider and want would you like to see.

Comments

• I know it's hard but I was looking for ssd+hdd vps where we can separately store database and site files into different places.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited October 2014

@msg7086 said:
    I know it's hard but I was looking for ssd+hdd vps where we can separately store database and site files into different places.

So you mean for us to offer free Database Hosting(with our vps packages) on a SSDs on another Server for redundancy and power? - As actually we were planning to do this at some point :)

• No. I mean we can be assigned 2 hard drive on a kvm vps, one ssd and one regular hdd. Then I can put different things on proper places.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited October 2014

@msg7086 said:
    No. I mean we can be assigned 2 hard drive on a kvm vps, one ssd and one regular hdd. Then I can put different things on proper places.

Yeah we wouldn't be able to do that, As we use Raid 10 per server and wouldn't have enough drive space. As well another thing would be most standard users wouldn't know how to setup and configure on their ssd/sata partitions. But good idea.

• ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
    edited October 2014

@msg7086 said:
    No. I mean we can be assigned 2 hard drive on a kvm vps, one ssd and one regular hdd. Then I can put different things on proper places.

You're looking for whats called "tiered storage", you typically wont find that on low end VPS's though...
    It wouldnt be required, but the most effective method would be from a provider that does SAN storage or some other form of network attached shared storage. They would assign you a HDD storage slice from one SAN, and then another SSD storage slice from a SSD SAN.

Typical VPS providers in this price range just have 1 server with all data stored locally on a RAID10 (hopefully) striped+mirrored array of just 1 type of drive.

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited October 2014

@ItsChrisG said:

Learned a new word, nice.

But problem is that even on dedicated servers I rarely see tiered storage. Either ssd*2 or hdd*2. Ssd+hdd leads to higher cost.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited October 2014

@msg7086 said:
    But problem is that even on dedicated servers I rarely see tiered storage. Either ssd*2 or hdd*2. Ssd+hdd leads to higher cost.

Most providers don't offer it as standard because most people who want to buy will want the same type of drives. I am sure you can ask a provider and they will do it customly for you. As dedicated servers have more flexibility.

• @msg7086 said:
    I know it's hard but I was looking for ssd+hdd vps where we can separately store database and site files into different places.

NFO has this option, comes with HDD can purchase separate SSD space that attaches.

• edited October 2014

Storage VM
    Raid 6 SATA, 100GB, 256MB, any CPU, 250GB monthly traffic, 100Mbps, OpenVZ, $1.50/mo

• 2GB ram, 2 cores, 70GB SSD cached, 1Gbps, 1.4TB BW; $8-$12.

• FredQcFredQc Member
    edited October 2014
    2GB+ DDR3 ECC RAM
    2 cores+ @ 3Gz+ (E3's or E5's monsters)
    50GB+ SSD strorage in RAID10
    250Mbps+ constant UL speed
    500GB+ Bandwidth
    4 IPv4+ (I don't use IPv6)
    OpenVZ, In-house CP, rDNS
    DDos protection as a bonus
    East cost located (MTL, NY, NJ, ATL)

$7 / Mo

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited October 2014

@drazilox said:
    2GB ram, 2 cores, 70GB SSD cached, 1Gbps, 1.4TB BW; $8-$12.

Edit: off-topic offer suggestion removed. :)

• why did this turn into an offer spam thread?

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited October 2014

@ItsChrisG said:
    why did this turn into an offer spam thread?

No idea, The question is what offer would you like to see, So were able to make better offer which more people want to see, Not these people offer this ... @vimalware

• Whoops. Edited.
    I think I had only read the thread title and OP after I'd posted.

Back on-topic:
    I'd like to see 2GB KVM/Xen offers under $9/m with decent disk (min 500 iops).

Could be older generation hardware, too (Intel 5xxx?). Ideal for inexpensive hot-standby Docker container hosts. Move your sites/apps around easily.

• I'm really digging what Wable is doing. I like that I can buy a block of resources and deploy it separately in multiple locations. If they had an EU location as well I'd upgrade and move more stuff over.

Will probably consolidate some of my EU stuff into an iwstack account and a single box with Ramnode or Iniz in NL.

Thanked by 1vimalware