Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dell PowerEdge 2650
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dell PowerEdge 2650

gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
edited July 2012 in Help

What do you think about Dell PowerEdge 2650 servers?

Comments

• DamianDamian Member
    edited July 2012

I think they're quite old (power-hungry single-core processors, DDR ram, and no SATA/SAS capability) and you'd be better off looking elsewhere for a server.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited July 2012

I think it has bad power but a nice edge. Sorry I just don't know therefore I posted that ridiculous comment. I'll show myself out.

Thanked by 1Kairus
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2012

Get a PE 1950 instead. You can pick them up for under $200 on eBay all day long. If the 2650 is anything like the 2800 series (or worse) it's not worth your time. We had a 1850 (1U version of the 2850) and the NICs (GigE) couldn't push more than 500Mbps.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

I have around 20 of them in my day job and I'm thinking what to do with them - support guys bought them 25eur each :D for sure I'm going to setup Subversion cluster (so 4 of them are out) - I need to check CPUs for VT so maybe it will be possible to run some experimental VMs using QEMU (like Debian on PowerPC) :D any other ideas?

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

If you pay for power then you probably don't want one...

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Don't you pay your power bill?

• He doesn't.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@Jack - I'm sorry but they are owned by the company and I'm unable to sell them