Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protocol Detection?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Protocol Detection?

Hi!
I'm browsing LowEndBox regularly, just didn't post because didn't have any question. Now I have one:
My ISP limits the speed and the bandwidth amount I have for specific protocols, but I have unlimited bandwidth/speed for POP3, POP3S, SMTP, SMTPS, IMAP, IMAPS.
My question would be the following:
Is it possible to rent a VPS, setup an OpenVPN server on a specific port (like IMAPS, 993), and use the unlimited options?
Anyone has any experience with this?
Let me know, thanks!

Comments

• Where do you live? Indonesia? We have some limiting rules from the provider like that, and most people using Mobile USB Modem for bypassing it using ssh tunnel.

In the past, we can break the limit using your-freedom, but now they know how to filter the traffic.

• Which protocols are throttled?

• I live in Hungary.
    This option is a recently announced one with my provider, so I'm not sure if they are experienced enough to filter the traffic.
    Anyways I'm testing it with a lowendbox right now:)

• said: setup an OpenVPN server on a specific port (like IMAPS, 993), and use the unlimited options?

That technically doesn't hide the protocol. OpenVPN has very noticeable connection signatures.

• MrXMrX Member

said: Is it possible to rent a VPS, setup an OpenVPN server on a specific port (like IMAPS, 993), and use the unlimited options? Anyone has any experience with this? Let me know, thanks!

I haven't done exactly the same but sometimes I have been in places which restrict access by port and simply changing the SSH or VPN port to an unblocked port has been enough to establish SSH or VPN connection.

However, if your ISP is doing packet inspection or otherwise actually looking at the content of the traffic, they can probably tell VPN and SSH tunnels from legitimate IMAPS or whatever port you end up using.

• MrX said: However, if your ISP is doing packet inspection or otherwise actually looking at the content of the traffic, they can probably tell VPN and SSH tunnels from legitimate IMAPS or whatever port you end up using.

>

I see, thanks!
    I'm giving it a try because no totally unlimited internet is available with them. I would pay for it without a question, currently I'm paying for 3 different 4G internets, a total of $150/mo and it's still not unlimited. No wired access in my area:( Maybe in some years..

• @MrX said:
    However, if your ISP is doing packet inspection or otherwise actually looking at the content of the traffic, they can probably tell VPN and SSH tunnels from legitimate IMAPS or whatever port you end up using.

I haven't done the packet analysis but I doubt they will be able to tell apart OpenVPN from IMAPS/POP3S. OpenVPN is also SSL-based so the connection initialization phase should look exactly the same as in IMAPS/POP3S. After that everything is encrypted. I would give it a try, but remember to use ports 993/995 because these are pure SSL ports (not 110/143 with STARTTLS).