Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD VPS- Fact or myth
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSD VPS- Fact or myth

SSD:

During the last couple of years there is an increase in the companies offering disk space in terms of SSD, SSD cached. What i would like to know that is SSD really a need for VPS users? Is it really increasing the speed of the VPS/ websites hosted in it concerned with website loading, downloading speed ( this may be related to network), storing and retrieval. If yes what type of sites need SSD based hosting package and what type of sites does not have any impact in using SSD or HDD

Does any one had used the HDD and then SSD for same website ? Have you seen the real performance? Because even the HDD technology is highly evolving with good HDD with nice read, write efficiency is introduced already, is SSD a real need?

SSD Cached:

Some are advertising this type also are they really offering this kind of technology with their packages, if yes is this really helpful and better than HDD space?Does SSD really helping VPS companies to provide better specs at affordable cost?

Also is SSD reliable than HDD?

Comments

• No spinning parts on SSDs, but the electronics can still fail.

If you need a huge amount of I/O, SSDs are the way to go.

My site was hosted on a HDD-only box originally - now it's on an SSD-cached box and it seems faster, but that means nothing because the old plan and new plan are on different hardware at different providers, so there is no real way to compared to two. How fast a site loads also depends on many factors - how heavy the site is, where it is being accessed from, what route the packets take to get there, etc.

• The most important question to ask is of yourself; what do you need.

If in your application performance you find disk is the bottleneck then sure, SSD might be worth a look. Otherwise, I strongly doubt you actually 'need' SSD.

• @CharlesA : Rightly mentioned, but What i would like to know is if anyone had felt that SSD performs better, they should have used same company, same type of package but with SSD to feel it, right?

@ Nekki What exactly is the word Performance means here? Loading speed?

• You will see real performance if you have IOPS heavy website (for example with some type of wrong logging )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOPS

• programerprogramer Member
    edited October 2014

@coolice said:
    You will see real performance if you have IOPS heavy website (for example with some type of wrong logging )

But those website operators never buy VPS right? Also those websites cant be run in VPS for long time, what I would like to know is different, is SSD a perfect need for VPS market, I do agree that for Dedicated server its must

Thanked by 1nhocconan
  • yest they try to fit in shared hosting first... , you can use all iops of a hdd raid with stupid written wp-plugin (adsense click fraud monitor) and a post published in a several big FB Fan Pages which bring fast 20k visitors to your pages...

• SSD is just a marketing tactic, 90%+ people who choose SSD based VPS absolutely do not need SSDs. Also SSDs are expensive & hosting companies usually put twice the number of VPS on them(as compared to what they would on a HDD node) to generate profit but this also means if there was to be any performance difference due to SSDs, it is not there anymore. But you would find a lot of providers(misguiding customers) & misinformed users telling you anything less than 1.0 GB/s in DD benchmarks is useless. If you expect your IOPS usage to be very high because of disk intensive databases or apps then you need a dedicated server, not a VPS.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • MunMun Member

The problem with your question is it is based on your knowledge, which seems low. SSD drivers are very fast and do help greatly in hosting vpss. This is because most functions rely heavily on io.

So yes, it does make things run faster. However, with a properly built system and a firm grasp on what you are doing regular HDD will be more then adequate for most tasks.

SSD cached is the concept of using HDD and SSD together. This is done by having all the data stored on the HDD and caching frequently accessed files on the SSD to lower the number of hits on the HDD as well as to speed up those common requests.

All in all. If you have a high iowait on top. Most likely you need to think about optimizing your app / and possibly moving to SSD powered vpss.

For novices I suggest using ssds as most of them don't understand how to optimize there apps and as such ssds will blindly make an unoptimized system work better.

Personally my fixed disks HDDs are more then functional except in my case of my large and very active stats database. I generally like to run it on ssds but catalysthost has been doing a fine job as of late and they use enterprise HDDs.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @programer said:
    @ Nekki What exactly is the word Performance means here? Loading speed?

That would depend on what sort of application it is.

• Depends on what you get for "HDD". Could be a single SATA drive, a couple SATA drives in RAID1, or a very high performance array.

An SSD drive performs better than traditional spinning drive, no doubt. But server disk storage is about more than pure speed. It's also about resilency -- the ability to survive the inevitable drive failure.

If your data is important to you, then you need to look at exactly what you're getting from an SSD-VPS provider -- other than raw speed.

• SSD does not always means "faster than HDD". My slowest VPS is a 123systems SSD based KVM; it is noticeably slower than other HDD based VPS (the price is also low - fair enough). VPS performance is determined by global server configuration and system load. SSD may help to alleviate the I/O bottleneck, but it is only one factor. The RAID cache plays a big role on SSD, because most SSD perform badly on a workload with many write cycles intermixed to read operations. A storage subsystem with many HDD and a high-performance RAID card is surely better than a lone SSD.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • We have used SSD Cached and a normal HDD, with no real difference in speed for us or the end user. Normally HDD is just fine for people...

• pcan said: My slowest VPS is a 123systems SSD based KVM; it is noticeably slower than other HDD based VPS

Same issue, there must be abuse on the host. Somedays IO hits 200m/s, then other it's down to 40m/s. This, however, isn't a good metric. If there was the same abuse on a HDD node it would be unusable.

• SSD is nice, but for most of the works, Hybrid SSD would be good enough: You don't need 800MB/s of IO 24/7.

If you do you should go with AWS or you are a damned abuser :-)

• My SSD box seems responsive even when hosted with very oversold provider

• There are lots of variables, most of which depends on your provider and setup. I have a box that is HDD with CatalystHost and it outperforms a lot of providers I've used that claim RAID-10 SSDs..

The one benefit of SSDs in a low end VPS is really abuse-mitigation. If someone is abusing I/O, your box will probably stay operational if it uses SSDs in a proper setup - vs crashing stuff in a pure HDD box.

But again, this comes down to the provider - if your provider is monitoring for abuse you'll probably never see long running problems.

Database and high trafficked servers I put on SSDs. Everything else is usually ssd-cached, since that seems to be the new standard for high storage boxes.

• Is there any way to get back data if the SSD fails? Any recovery options?

• programer said: Is there any way to get back data if the SSD fails? Any recovery options?

It's called backups.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • emgemg Veteran

@programer said:
    Is there any way to get back data if the SSD fails? Any recovery options?

Having a good independent external backup? :-p

• SSD does wonders for my MySQL databases.

• Is there any way to recover from SSD if some one does not have backup?
    @kcaj: Have you compared with HDD?

• fileMEDIAfileMEDIA Member
    edited October 2014

programer said: s there any way to recover from SSD if some one does not have backup?

Not really, if the controller fails you can try to extract the NANDs. If NANDs fails, no way. This company offers SSD recovery, they did good jobs on HDDs: http://www.krollontrack.de/datenrettung/datenrettung-services/ssd-datenrettung/

• @ fileMEDIA : If there are no way to recover will SSD be a successful product in long run?

• @programer said:
    @ fileMEDIA : If there are no way to recover will SSD be a successful product in long run?

What you do if a hdd fails?

• Yes why not, have a backup at any time and backup != raid. A SSD do not replace a backup. HDDs can also fail and can also not be recovered in same cases.

• Yes: Which has more chance for failure?

• SSD perform faster than HDD that's the fact, can say coz now im using pure SSD on my desktop, *vps and dedicated server. You can feel the differences. The only matters is what ssd brand you use.

On vps results may vary depending on provider :)

• @programer said:
    Yes: Which has more chance for failure?

Depends on use case.

• Name few cases please

• @programer said:
    Yes: Which has more chance for failure?

Given a quality manufacturer, SSDs will be far more reliable.