Digitalocean snapshot, etc. experience
I have been looking at digitalocean for a while and mostly I like it. But I have had some problems. I am wondering if anyone else has had similar problems.
The last time I took a snapshot of a 20G SSD droplet (VPS). It took over 2 hours to complete.
The exact time is 2 hours 36 minutes 1 second execution time. This looks to me way out of the ordinary. Something must be wrong. I had about 10G data on it. It just does not take that much time to create an image of 10G, zip it, write it to some file. I had taken snapshots before for similar sized droplets. It usually took just over 10 minutes. And the response from the support is not very helpful.
After 30 minutes of running the snapshot, I thought that there must be something wrong. I opened a ticket. The reponse came back to me fairly quickly and just told me to be patient.
Then after 60 minutes, I opened another ticket. And this time it was just ignored.
In the end, after the snapshot was completed (over 2 and half hours), someone at the support department emailed me and told me that perhaps I had too many files (inodes). But I had at most about 10,000 files. And I had taken snapshots of the same vps numerous time (10-20 times) before. And it always took about 12-15 minutes.
My feeling is that the support people over there just do not use their heads to think about a problem and investigate it if needed. All the responses I have had seem to be some automatic formalities.
For example, once I clicked to destroy a droplet and the process just hanged there. So I opened a ticket, "be patient" was the response. And telling me perhaps the "scrub data" option made it slow as it needed to write all these zeros to a disk. But if anyone has any experience with computers, he/she must know that it does not take long to write 20G of zeros to any hard disk (let alone SSD). So tickets after tickets of my telling them something was wrong that I had done it many times, should be almost instant, finally someone decided to take a look and found the process hung. So he/she had to intervene to kill the process and I had to re-destroy it.
Also lately, creating a droplet is taking a bit longer than before. The promise is about 1 minute. Now it takes about 5+ minutes to create a droplet.
I am just wondering if someone else had similar experience.