Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Name servers in VPS when using Hosted DNS ( Externally hosted)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Name servers in VPS when using Hosted DNS ( Externally hosted)

I have a doubt related to creation of name servers in the domain to point the domain to a VPS.

What is the use of creating a name server and pointing it to VPS for hosting a domain in VPS, is there any other simple method? Can it be done without registering a name server and by using A record only? What we will do till now is will use one domain specifically for name server creation like
ns1.domain.com - ip1
ns2.domain.com - ip2

ip1,ip2 will the ip of our VPS, then we will point the domain to be hosted domain1.com - this name servers and also again will create a A record for domain1.com pointing ip1,ip2. We do know that without basic knowledge we are doing this and we thought of getting a clear idea on this.

Hosted DNS case ( like Amazon 53, Hurricane DNs etc)

Also if we use hosted DNS, the name server of the domain should point the hosted DNS service and from the hosted DNS panel an A record will be created to point the domain to the VPS, in this case can the name server in the VPS be removed? or is it required?

ns1.domain.com - 12.12.12.12
ns2.domain.com - 12.12.12.13 ( This is created in the domain control panel of registry)

Can we simply remove the name server in the domain.com and also in the VPS? Will it work?

Hope this is clearly explained

Comments

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited October 2014

If you use an external dns hosting then you have two points of failure a) your vps b) the external dns hosting. If either of those goes down your websites are unreachable.

The advantage of hosting DNS externally is that a) it tends to come with an easy to use control panel b) the provider might have geographically disbursed DNS servers and other goodies. The downside is that it might turn out to be like namecheap's offering and get DDoSed all the time:

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/35827/namecheap-dns#latest

If you're using external DNS hosting then you don't need the authoritative nameserver daemon running on the VPS and the ns records point to the external DNS host's.

I'd like to add that if you want redundancy you can do both. Master server on VPS + external slave server.

Thanked by 1programer
  • Ok so if we use external dns service we are prone to DDos attack always? Why it happens in external dns hosting? Can it be avoided?

• @programer said:
    Ok so if we use external dns service we are prone to DDos attack always? Why it happens in external dns hosting? Can it be avoided?

Yes, use DDOS protected DNS servers.

Thanked by 1programer
  • If we simply shift back to our normal name servers rather than using this external dns servers?

• I always host my DNS on cloudflare & haven't disappointed at all.
    In this way, i can have my website's records propagated instantly :)

• @StephenIzzy said:
    I always host my DNS on cloudflare & haven't disappointed at all.
    In this way, i can have my website's records propagated instantly :)

+1 for this faster propagation is life saver

• programerprogramer Member
    edited October 2014

At least 20% of the time Cloudflare free account is either slow or not resolving when we used the service, dont know its a common issue or for our sites only. May be you are using paid service of cloudflare right?

• @programer said:
    At least 20% of the time Cloudflare free account is either slow or not resolving when we used the service, dont know its a common issue or for our sites only. May be you are using paid service of cloudflare right?

No, i've free account from them & i'm truly satisfied with it & haven't faced any issue.
    Edit: Not using their CDN at all, just using that to control my DNS.

• @StephenIzzy : Ok can we use their service as DNS provider? What is the necessity of it and what is the real use of using their DNS service?

• @programer said:
    StephenIzzy : Ok can we use their service as DNS provider? What is the necessity of it and what is the real use of using their DNS service?

Yes, obviously you can use it, setup domain as you're used to, point nameservers to cloudflare, disable cloudflare's CDN for "@ records through cloudflare's DNS settings. What i used it for is I don't use any of my domains for production, usually just for making A records & playing with stuff, so i simply make those on cloudflare & it propagates worldwide even here in Pakistan instantly, while namecheap's one takes some time."

• wychwych Member
    edited October 2014

I made my own dns cluster to have it my way.
    You can set a low ttl to make propagation faster.
    Wasn't keen on the CF outages when I used it.
    However my VPS use Google dns typically.

• programerprogramer Member
    edited October 2014

Which is the best cloud dns provider or hosted dns provider who is cheap and best to use now? I hate Amazon and their product no recommendation to amazon route 53 please